myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Insanity
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one in the military is not yet retired, but becomes disabled, does he not get full disablitiy payments until retirement? This is the way SS disability works...I thought they were similar.

I know some younger guys (40) on VA disability (Gulf - not golf - war). I understood they got disability for years prior to collecting military retirement pay.

No offense to those serving by asking the question.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
isobars wrote:
"Conservative", my ass. Your words here portray a far left freak unworthy of your freedom to be an ungrateful ass.

Ah, so there is a new definition for conservative?

If you were the conservative you falsely claim to be, you'd know there's nothing new about respecting the military men and women which keep your country safe.

If you were the conservative you falsely claim to be, you wouldn't be screaming "hate speech" or "racist" when someone states a fact or opinion you don't like.

As for my medical history ... none of your GD business, you scum. You're too much of a coward to reveal your real identity, and you want me to post my medical records?

You keep denigrating our military, and you'd better hope that if you ever get caught in a dark alley with any of them or with any of the many hundreds of millions of people who owe them their freedom, s/he is one with uncommon self-control. You don't deserve to live in a free country with an attitude like that, and you sure as hell owe every soldier in U.S. history a giant apology. Millions of them gave up their personal freedom, their family lives, their blood, their very lives for your sorry ass, and you whine about the medical disability pensions most of the living ones pay out of their own pockets anyway?

You're not the citizen most soldiers are thinking about when they volunteer for service. Any soldier who says to you, "That's OK, bud. You're welcome"
is lying to you. (Psssst: keep that attitude to yourself when applying for a job. Many employers would prefer to hire a child molester or Bernie Madoff.)

Last edited by isobars on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
If one in the military is not yet retired, but becomes disabled, does he not get full disablitiy payments until retirement?

The pay and benefit scenarios are almost infinite, depending on many factors, not even counting the paraplegics who successfully demand to return to full active duty, including combat. Most of these men and women generally don't even comprehend "people" like Capetonian; they .... along with police and firemen and the like ... are from different planets than he is.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back with threats of violence. Why are conservatives so disturbed?
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, maybe I can offer a view on things.

In the last 6 months that I worked, I had a heart attack, in Hood River during the beginning of a windsurfing vacation. Overall though, prior to my problem, it was my intent to retire at the end of that year. I worked a high stress job and I had been working my ass off for my career, but particularly before that vacation.

All said and done, did I blame anyone at the end of the line? Well, no. Maybe I can have made a case for some sort of compensation, but I just walked away with what I had earned.

About 7 years later when I was applying for Social Security, I was asked if I had a disability. Without a doubt, a disability would have affected my Social Security income overall. While I suffered a setback in life healthwise, and I know that I'm at future risk for a heart attack, when asked if I was disabled, I told them that I was a windsurfer and still enjoyed reasonable health. I was clear that I wasn't disabled.

Could I have worked a different game? Maybe, but that's not me.

The thing that our contributor from the Great Northwest needs to face up to here, is whether he's claiming disability due to his service in the military over 20 years ago, or whether it's due to physical or mental disability sustained later in life. It's like if I become blind, I would readily be considered a disabled person.

Needless to mention, a lot of folks have been found to apply for a disability under the context of their disease or health problem. I guess the real question for our character here is whether the affliction is truly physically disabling, and the when and why about his claim.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Iso, Capetonian is an intelligent conservative in my book, and an all around good guy. I love the military, but I also see the same bureaucratic mess as in govt. So much red tape, while the true combat heroes are ground up in Vietnam and the middle east, by both sides of our government.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on you Swchandler. Your attitude does you credit. Enjoy your windsurfing.

P.S. Time to enter the been there done that lane, and try out that new Serenity?? Wink
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
Since I have never sucked on the government tit I had no idea how it works.

The hell you haven't. Every citizen, tourist, terrorist, and legal or illegal immigrant within the national or global umbrella erected by the collective military and police personnel of every free nation owes his very life and livelihood to their lives, blood, and countless lesser sacrifices, many or most of which cannot be compensated by cash from taxpayers. Realize, too, that a combat unit is virtually useless, doomed, dysfunctional, and ultimately non-existent without the weapons, ammunition, fuel, food, transportation, maintenance, communication, GPS, protective gear, paperwork and paycheck, medical care, laundry, family care back home, training, etc. ... all provided by non-combat military and civilian people. Most military people are in support roles, not combat roles, and without both the free world would cease to exist. In addition, every support troop is fully subject to rotation into combat any time, anywhere ... even to recall for combat duty for many years after s/he retires.

Combat troops and injuries deserve and (finally, after many decades of trying) receive extra benefits, and I doubt even one support troop would complain about that. The idea that soldiers ripped apart in battle should buy their own medical insurance upon being discharged from the hospital is beyond unconscionable, and should have every American seething, yet 30-some percent of voters STILL support the man who proposed that.

People have a legal right to be ignorant of how the military works, but they have zero moral right to shit -- or spit -- on its people because of the BS our GD media feeds the gullible public. Just yesterday it went public that our Fool In Chief ordered the 4-star commander of Space Command to lie to the public about the devastating impact commercial 4G broadband will have on the single most vital system our military has: GPS. 1) Obama is putting vote-buying stimulus money over the security of the free world, and 2) GPS was conceived, designed, and developed by support troops and civilians.
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
capetonian wrote:
Since I have never sucked on the government tit I had no idea how it works.

The hell you haven't. Every citizen, tourist, terrorist, and legal or illegal immigrant within the national or global umbrella erected by the collective military and police personnel of every free nation owes his very life and livelihood to their lives, blood, and countless lesser sacrifices, many or most of which cannot be compensated by cash from taxpayers. Realize, too, that a combat unit is virtually useless, doomed, dysfunctional, and ultimately non-existent without the weapons, ammunition, fuel, food, transportation, maintenance, communication, GPS, protective gear, paperwork and paycheck, medical care, laundry, family care back home, training, etc. ... all provided by non-combat military and civilian people. Most military people are in support roles, not combat roles, and without both the free world would cease to exist. In addition, every support troop is fully subject to rotation into combat any time, anywhere ... even to recall for combat duty for many years after s/he retires.

Combat troops and injuries deserve and (finally, after many decades of trying) receive extra benefits, and I doubt even one support troop would complain about that. The idea that soldiers ripped apart in battle should buy their own medical insurance upon being discharged from the hospital is beyond unconscionable, and should have every American seething, yet 30-some percent of voters STILL support the man who proposed that.

People have a legal right to be ignorant of how the military works, but they have zero moral right to shit -- or spit -- on its people because of the BS our GD media feeds the gullible public. Just yesterday it went public that our Fool In Chief ordered the 4-star commander of Space Command to lie to the public about the devastating impact commercial 4G broadband will have on the single most vital system our military has: GPS. 1) Obama is putting vote-buying stimulus money over the security of the free world, and 2) GPS was conceived, designed, and developed by support troops and civilians.

You're starting to sound as unbalanced as our friend Brucie "Speedysailor" Swift.

Maybe we now have a clearer picture of your disability.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feuser wrote

Quote:
Let me jump to Isobar's defense here. No, really.

He has made a deal with US taxpayers many years ago. He kept his word, did his work protecting everyone from the Russkies (by proving ]the US Airforce can tear through tax money faster than the USSR and not hit any targets, either, but that's beside the point).

Now, he's retired, gets a pension and whatever modest disability etc. He doesn't need either, because he apparently was frugal and fairly modest and didn't raise kids.

Okay, sweetheart deals like his are what's driving the country towards ruin now - not welfare, not the NEA not NPR. It serves little purpose to echo his constant crowing "slackers" about others who live on the tax payer's dime.

Who's first to send back his or her social security check with a thank you note "nice of you to remember, but I've done well and don't need this"?

Feuser, you make an excellent point. A quick look at Federal and State budgets show this. Our governments have made contractual commitments to provide benefits with little thought to how they can pay for them.

The war in Iraq has maimed thousands of vets. We knew this going in.
And yet, did we increase taxes or reduce spending in other areas to pay for these expenses?

Life expectancy is significantly longer than it was 50 years ago when SS was enacted. Yet, the retirement age for SS has barely changed.

We pass an act to provide workplace accessibilty (at great expense) for the disabled to work, and yet, providing retraining to those disabled to go back to work lacks.

We won't give teachers or government employees raises, yet sweeten early retirement deals.

And NO, Feuser, I'm not gonna send my checks back (if I ever get any)!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: