myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bob Dill Custom?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dills were extra glassed, an 8'6"er weighing right around 20 lbs. naked.
Most over glass boards, like Watson's and Cascades, could just barely break the 18lbs mark for a sinky 8'6"er.
Your pro Edition JP still weighs 11.5 lbs.
duckwind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed a Dill just like that for at least ten years. I loved the board and still have it. Sometime next year I am going to go retro and sail it and my old 8' -10" Shuler. Had a lot of fun on both!
mmyers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The board is heavy enough I can put in the back of the truck and don't have to worry about strapping it down Very Happy

This one I have has dimples on the front bottom of the board. At first I thought it was intentional but the more I look at it could just be thrashed?? Does your Dill have golf ball sized dents in it?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, we did go through a brief period of "Phasers" wherein golf ball
sized dimples were put into the planing surface of some glass boards.
It wasn't a great idea, but I remember seeing a number of them. If
they aren't random, it was probably intentional.

-Craig

mmyers wrote:
The board is heavy enough I can put in the back of the truck and don't have to worry about strapping it down Very Happy

This one I have has dimples on the front bottom of the board. At first I thought it was intentional but the more I look at it could just be thrashed?? Does your Dill have golf ball sized dents in it?
mchaco1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im feel inspired to take out my Natural Art poly board again Very Happy Its bit on the big side at 90-95L, but my last try on a 84L board wasnt too successful anyway Embarassed Maybe ill try it with the little thruster fins on this time, last time I tried a single Rainbow predator with a full length slot and it hardly moved. hopefully ill have more success with a small wave fin and the thrusters.

IMG00446-20110810-1358.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  634.2 KB
 Viewed:  15453 Time(s)

IMG00446-20110810-1358.jpg

mmyers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well good luck on that mchaco1. 90-95 is way small for my skills and location. Have not had the winds to try the Dill yet, having to uphaul a 6.5 just to slog around.. Had about an hour of good wind tonight, but not reliable enough to even consider the Dill.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmyers wrote:
Well good luck on that mchaco1. 90-95 is way small for my skills and location. Have not had the winds to try the Dill yet

Ya gotta drive a little further. You'd have downsized that sail by 5 sizes Thursday if you had, you'd have worn that Dill out, and there were several guys newer at this (and older) than you having fun and learning a ton on the river. If you can waterstart, you can sail the big stuff.

Or even drive less. Plymouth is half the distance of PK from you, and gets more wind many days. You'd love Patterson, where you park, rig, and launch within a mast length of the full strength of the very steady wind and the swell very seldom gets over waist high.

Mike \m/
mmyers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Ya gotta drive a little further. You'd have downsized that sail by 5 sizes Thursday

Yea I hear ya.. Where were you referring to Roosevelt?
If so, that's a weekend option for me, about 4hrs round trip, and I would have a hard time driving the 2hrs home after surfing (yawn), so I would bring my camper to spend the night, take 2 parking spots, and piss you WS guys off!

Very Happy
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roosevelt ... or 3-Mile, Patterson, Irrigon, Plymouth, Hat Rock, Sand Station ... any spot a little further west.

Oops, I was under the impression you lived in the TriCities, which is one hour from Roosevelt or Arlington. My mistake.

I don't get sleepy -- heck, I CAN'T sleep -- after sailing. Adrenaline hangover, I guess.

Mike \m/
SteveSoutherland

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: bob dill custom Reply with quote

The other thing to consider when you give this old school board a try, is that it will set up a lot better with an "older shaped" sail rather than a newer wave shape. The center of effort in the sails used when this board was fashioned was lower and more aft than the newer shapes and the board will definitely sail better with a fuller sail shape. A Hucker for instance rather than a Revo.

I have a similar shape that I've had since 1989, and it's still fun to sail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: