myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Insanity
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsunami Warning!

NY's 9th District, NYC, elected its first Republican representative since the 1920sw ... and by a huge, no-contest margin. Even the Jewish vote went to the GOP. Then the next domino fell, in Nevada. Democrat voters are catching on to this clown.

Speaking of clowns, his new stimulus ... oh, yeah ... "JOBS" ... plan prohibits employers from using unemployment history -- previously known as employment history by most employers -- in deciding whom to hire, under penalty of federal law. IOW, the slacker who sat on his ass watching American Idol for two years at the taxpayers' expense because he didn't want to stock groceries can now sue a company for hiring instead the more qualified self-supporting applicant who just got laid off last week at one of his three jobs. Lawyers' ads will scream from our TV sets "Not hired because you haven't accepted a job for 18 months? Sue the bastards ... with our help." This either forces the employer to pay the slacker to go back to watching TV and leaves him no money to hire the hard worker, or it forces him to hire the slacker and make consumers pay more for shoddier goods and service. "Made in America" will translate around the world into "Assembled in Obamaland by slugs too GD lazy to give a damn about quality".

Put this fool back in office and he'll be telling you which hand to wipe with. I know you lefties want that, but anyone with a modicum of independence and drive will resent the hell out of it.
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

Put this fool back in office and he'll be telling you which hand to wipe with.

Do you actually wipe?
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Speaking of clowns, his new stimulus ... oh, yeah ... "JOBS" ... plan prohibits employers from using unemployment history -- previously known as employment history by most employers -- in deciding whom to hire, under penalty of federal law. IOW, the slacker who sat on his ass watching American Idol for two years at the taxpayers' expense because he didn't want to stock groceries can now sue a company for hiring instead the more qualified self-supporting applicant who just got laid off last week at one of his three jobs. Lawyers' ads will scream from our TV sets "Not hired because you haven't accepted a job for 18 months? Sue the bastards ... with our help." This either forces the employer to pay the slacker to go back to watching TV and leaves him no money to hire the hard worker, or it forces him to hire the slacker and make consumers pay more for shoddier goods and service. "Made in America" will translate around the world into "Assembled in Obamaland by slugs too GD lazy to give a damn about quality".

Put this fool back in office and he'll be telling you which hand to wipe with. I know you lefties want that, but anyone with a modicum of independence and drive will resent the hell out of it.

Do you actually believe the invective you spew? Has it ever occurred to you that using the facts to make an intelligent and logical argument will win over far more intelligent people? I suspect that I am more conservative than 90% of the people that windsurf, but I don't want to be associated with mindless hate like yours.
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A confusion of anger and fear. And revenge, in his world, is truly a sweet thing.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But he IS making a valid point, don't you think?

We have a whole raft of E.U. employment directives over here, and the law of unintended consequences has certainly 'kicked in'. Whether you consider things right or wrong, fair or unfair, small business, which should be the backbone of any economic recovery, is now wary of taking on new staff, especially women.

It is a fact that some people DO attempt to play any system, and if small workforce employers are unable to check what they could be letting themselves in for (young women who won't disclose that they have just become pregnant and will be demanding their right to time off and full pay for the statutory period for example) they just won't hire them.

So what IS the answer?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or they will only hire older women Laughing
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that is a fair point Steven.

One of our super market chains has made a point of hiring older ladies, because of their work ethic. They claim them to be more efficient than the young.

Not sure how they circumvent discrimination law, though that never seems to be a problem in other work fields, when older more experienced people are usually passed over in favour of the young!
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a small business owner, these concerns are real.

I hired a new engineering associate a few years back. I worried that either a young woman (potential maternity issues), handicapped individual, smoker, or Natioanal Guard Reservist would apply. Any of theses people would have been almost impossible to integrate into my small business.

Isobars...this was before Obama was even a Senator...Not his fault this time.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit curious GT about the recognized pregnancy policy in the UK. What is the accepted length of time allowed, and does full pay apply over the whole period? Seems a bit untoward that someone could be receiving full pay for not working. However, I'm in agreement that a woman should be able take a leave of absence to have their child and not lose their job during that period, but that's kind of the limit in my view.
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
As a small business owner, these concerns are real.

I hired a new engineering associate a few years back. I worried that either a young woman (potential maternity issues), handicapped individual, smoker, or Natioanal Guard Reservist would apply. Any of theses people would have been almost impossible to integrate into my small business.

Isobars...this was before Obama was even a Senator...Not his fault this time.

Why not take on the individual as a 1099 contractor/consultant?

Many benefits for the business owner but also some for the consultant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: