myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
where to find a used formula board
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inf2003

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: where to find a used formula board Reply with quote

My sailing spot has many days where the wind is between 10 and 15 mph but has very gusty conditions as it is a small lake. I have decided that a formula board would be a good solution for me to be able to sail many of those days and still be able to plane. I am looking for something about 160 liters as I am 195lb intermediate sailor.

On my large freeride board I am only planing about 15% of the time and I want to increase that percentage. My board is not an absolute early planer. I want to find a board that is a light wind absolute early planer. I have decided that a forumla board would be a great option for me when the wind is in that range. I already own a 10.6 meter large modern sail.

I need to stay with an older board and something built after say about the year 2000 as I have a limited budget. I have read several places that it should be fairly easy to find an older model, used formula board. I have been watching the iwindsurf classifieds as well as ebay and craigslist with no luck. where do I find such a board? I dont even mind if it has a little damage as I am good with glass and epoxy.

anybody have any suggestions where to look for an older and affordable formula board in the Boston or New Hampshire area? Anyone selling one they dont use? Thanks for any help or advice. Smile
speedysailor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a rig? I'ld consider selling my Exocet formula board with 11 meter Aerotech sail and an Epic Carbon boom for $1500. The board is around 2005 and used but in good shape. The sail is an '03 but has had little use. The boom is jumbo and has been used only a few times. You'll have to find your own mast. PM me if interested.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a Starboard F175, era 2001/2 actual liter is supposted to be 152L.

Its in Maine ,near Eastport, close to Calais.

If interested in picking up PM me .

few repairs, well used, but sound. footstaps and 2 fins, deep tuttle.

photo from a week ago pre Irene sailing there.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
inf2003

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2, I pm'd you. thats exactly the type of board Im looking for. I would love to buy it but you are like 7 hours drive from me.

Speedy, I have a rig and that amt is way over my budget.

Thanks for the replys
LoveSplittingLanes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SF Bay racers often post high end gear here : http://www.calcupevents.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/index.cgi?mode=view&viewcategory=Boards

Shipping would be "material" but prices are usually quite good in the SF Bay for recent gear...
speedysailor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inf2003, you should understand that if my price frightens you and the idea of driving a long distance to pick a board up doesn't appeal to you, it's best to give up the chase. Formula equipment and sailing remains a sport for the elite, especially in N.E.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysailor wrote:
inf2003, you should understand that if my price frightens you and the idea of driving a long distance to pick a board up doesn't appeal to you, it's best to give up the chase. Formula equipment and sailing remains a sport for the elite, especially in N.E.

never considered I were in the elit8

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedy, you have a knack for enticing new sailors into our sport...
Are your eyes blue or brown? Cause if they're blue, I believe you are a quart low- know what I mean?
inf2003- speedo boy is not representative of the windsurfing community- disregard his BS.
He is a legend in his own mind....
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the 175 in wood. OK board compared to the newer models in the last 5 years. The 175 is narrow in the tail and body and won't plane up as soon as the newer boards. The length was a big handicap running downwind in big chop because the nose would stick on the face of next wave and it was pretty easy to get tossed over the nose. However, that's only a problem if in big 2-3' chop.

I don't want to rain on anyone, but an informed consumer is a happy consumer.

I went to the 147 after the 175 and now have been on the 160 for some time. The 147 and 160 are much better formula boards.

If the price is right and you want an early planing board, the 175 is fine. It should be pretty cheap, but prices to range a bit around the country, so I won't offer an opinion on cheap.
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
Formula equipment and sailing remains a sport for the elite, especially in N.E.

And you just naturally include yourself in that exclusive club?

Have you taken your meds today, Brucie?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: