myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hotel and cable park at Nichols Boat Basin
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jota

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Hotel and cable park at Nichols Boat Basin Reply with quote

Naito Development started a thread on NWKite.com about their proposed hotel complex at the south end of Nichols boat basin in the HR waterfront area - and their proposed cable park in the basin itself:

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-23488.html&sid=96b40636687dc605b1339a0e5332eac5

If you don't know what a cable park is, there are photos and videos in the thread.

Looks like a lot of kiters are generally stoked about the cable park itself, with very little thought to the impacts of the hotel complex (and the cable park itself). As you can see, there is an informal public meeting tomorrow night - Aug 25 - at 7 pm.

This doesn't seem to be a public hearing so much as a chance for Naito to put forth their plan and hear what people have to say. (There will be lots of hearings down the road presumably.) If nothing else, with all the permitting involved I could see a very real chance that the hotel gets approved (on dry land) but not the cable park (in the river) given the different agencies involved. If that's the case, we'd feel pretty stupid if some people's enthusiasm for the cable park overshadowed any critical analysis of the hotel itself. (And you know the hotel is what Naito really wants.)

One obvious impact will be traffic congestion on the overpass to the waterfront area - affecting kiters, windsurfers and other users, as well as townies and freeway users if traffic blocks/slows I-84 access and backs up into town.

On a personal level - while the cable park looks fun and I would try it, it does seem to clash with the gorge culture of human- and nature-powered outdoor sports - those cable parks are located where there is nothing else to do. Somebody at NWKite said "it's not the Gorge - it's Disneyland on crack." (Too bad it's not proposed for Cascade Locks or The Dalles - they could sorely use something like this.)

At any rate, it would be interesting to see a discussion on iWindsurf as well as NW Kite.
ericandholly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in favor of the cable park as a pretty fun thing for kids to do. I have no problem with the hotel/motel. I am concerned about parking and congestion, however, and how that will be addressed.

Eric
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I find this frightening. But if I lived in the middle of nowhere with a small lake and nothing else, I would think this could be pretty cool. But there in the Scenic Columbia Gorge, it would look like an eyesore. Not something that belongs in the Gorge. Towers, cables, and ramps all over the place??? I really, really hope not....

But it seems several kiters are jumping up and down all over it....
dcfordo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the cable park sounds great! I am excited to have another fun activity when the wind is not blowing.

Aesthetically, the waterfront is an industrial eyesore right now, so I don't see how several thin towers would detract.

Hotel an restaurant traffic will be a bit of a drag, but I doubt it is that bad.
jota

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump - any more opinions?
westender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see from the NWKite thread if you're not a member of the CGKA you aren't entitled to an opinion. Laughing

Big Hotel huh?! How are they going to fit that in there. Seems you're either Stoked about being drug around by a cable or salivating over some $$$ that might end up in your lap. The kiters and shop owners seem to be falling all over themselves with praise for the Naito project.

Since I don't hang out anywhere near there I suppose it won't bother me.

I can only imagine the sweetheart deal the Port is offering the Naito's

jota wrote:
Bump - any more opinions?
ldhr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
I see from the NWKite thread if you're not a member of the CGKA you aren't entitled to an opinion. Laughing.

Not true! You need to register userid for NWKITE (free).

you do not need to be a CGKA member.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO, what I meant was; The Monkey Boy got on with a negative opinion and someone told him to STFU since he hadn't become a CGKA member?????????????? Friendly crowd.
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and the line stretched around the block.
jota

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, say what you think here and we'll bring this forum to Naito's attention too.

We might not be cool enough to wear t-shirts and board shorts outside our wetsuits but we're nicer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: