myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Can Obama lead?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
be transported to heaven while absorbing the atmospheric ambience to the seductive strains of the prelude to Act 1 of Wagners Lohengrin????

I agree, but the lyrics don't extol cop-killing, as some of Obama's guests do.

Last edited by isobars on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feuser wrote:
pueno wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bushes have never heard of Bach, Beethoven, or Brahms, either. That you characterize Obama's tastes in entertainment as "empty-headed" may be as much a measure of you as of him, and perhaps more so.

Huh? These three are now the measure of one's understanding of western civilization? What about Schubert?
Very Happy

Tell me -------- do you think W can spell Schubert?

Schubert's sublime, and I still like Mozart and Vivaldi (though you can keep Cage).

Bach, Beethoven, or Brahms, "the three Bs." Alliteration, nothing more. Except fantastic music, particularly the ninth.

The point was............ oh, never mind.
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
...but do the lyrics don't extol cop-killing, as some of Obama's guests do.

Only if taken out of context and distorted, as you are wont to do.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Economist, Obama Supporter Says White House Has No Economic Plan

On MSNBC's Morning Joe today, economist Jeffrey Sachs, a self-professed supporter of Barack Obama in 2008, said the president has no plan to save the economy and that "there's never been a plan."

"The quintessential image, sadly, of an administration that I supported and hoped for much better, is the president waiting by the phone to hear what Congress calls to tell him," said Sachs. "It doesn't work in this country that way. It's not a matter that it's August. It's a matter that it's August 2011."

Sachs sharply criticized the stimulus and said there is no leadership in the administration. "A short-term stimulus that was supposed to get the economy back on track, but it failed," he continued. "And now we have nothing behind it. And we have no agreements, and we have no leadership. And, frankly, I do think it's pretty odd the president's on vacation right now. Normally I wouldn't care about such things, but the world markets are in deep crisis. It's no joke."

Watch the video at Real Clear Politics http://tinyurl.com/3olld47
mac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting for demonstrations of leadership from the right. Boehner? Please.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Perry was a military commander and fighter pilot for 10 years, and the governor of the 2nd largest state, who legislated positive reforms that allowed the state to add almost half of all jobs created in the U.S.

Seems more manly that obama.

I will agree with you on one thing, that neither side seems to have produced a leader that will end corporate welfare, or the government unions stranglehold on legislation.

Eisenhower was strong enough to admit to the military industrial complex, which seems to have morphed into the corporate welfare, government union complex.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AA
mac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard loves Perry. Let's look at what is actually happening, courtesy of an article by Joe Garafoli and Carla Marinucci.

9.25% of Texas workers made federal minimum wage or less in 2010, compared to 2% in California.

Unemployment rate is lower in Texas, 8.4% vs 12% in California. Texas is about where the Bay area is, but wages are very different.

24% of Texas children are in poverty, compared to 20% in California.

25% of Texans are without health insurance.

Texas is 45th among the states in SAT scores, and dead last in the number of residents over 25 who have a high school diploma.

Well, when the Texas Board of Education is more interested in teaching credential, things might stay that way until their is a bachelors degree awarded for football and cheerleading.

Two things of interest buried a little deeper in the article. First, Texas appears to have suffered less than California because of state regulation of the mortgage industry that minimized the speculative run-up in housing prices. Show me that Perry led on that and I'll give him points. Second, economists from Beacon, who are very good, point out that much (most?) of Texas' benefits were due to the increase in prices for oil and natural gas, which spun off jobs.
feuser

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:

Texas is 45th among the states in SAT scores, and dead last in the number of residents over 25 who have a high school diploma.

Well, when the Texas Board of Education is more interested in teaching credential, things might stay that way until their is a bachelors degree awarded for football and cheerleading.

Two things of interest buried a little deeper in the article. First, Texas appears to have suffered less than California because of state regulation of the mortgage industry that minimized the speculative run-up in housing prices. Show me that Perry led on that and I'll give him points. Second, economists from Beacon, who are very good, point out that much (most?) of Texas' benefits were due to the increase in prices for oil and natural gas, which spun off jobs.

Add to that the fact that Texas' job creation is not keeping up with population growth (unemployment is rising). If you do want to call this job creation altogether. His jobs-creation program is really just a number of taxpayer-funded subsidies that mainly migrate jobs to Texas from other states. You could call it a stimulus package without a national net benefit. Something to bolster his numbers, before anything else.

I predict a steep decline of his popularity and credibility as more connections between recipients of his program's generosity, his campaign contributions, and his policy decisions and appointments are made. The political culture he represents is rife with corruption - if not outright illegal then certainly illegitimate. It is certainly no change away from the insider dealings that frustrate so many about politics.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Still waiting for demonstrations of leadership from the right. Boehner? Please.

When the deficit deal was inked , Boehner said he got "98% of what he wanted". Maybe the the 2% is the 16.5% decline in the market since the deal was signed. The rightys always like to take credit for economic growth....like the 90's when Newt penned The Contract with America...and they blame the left...like the Nancy took the gavel, the world started to unravel. So, in line with that reasoning, tell me rightys, using numbers...how has the economy and the stock market done since Mr. Boehner taken the gavel?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: