myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
common sense prevails
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Im with you. You must also understand that people need outlets. When gas prices spike, its easy to pile on the oil companies, Im certainly not in favor of windfall taxes on anybody. Just watched this vid by Mike Godsey from the Hatch on Tuesday, a mjust see for all the 3.5 lovers out there!
http://windnotes.phanfare.com/4743675_5825871

Been there. It took too much advil. Now this is me last week on a Zen momment 5 minutes from home...
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pic Bard. But I think wind is a prerequisite for windsurfing????
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
mrgybe wrote

Quote:
Who in government in going to have the balls to wean this growing segment of society off dependency on the state?

Please, are you referring to those receiving Medicare and Social Security? How about disabled veterans? How about those with severe mental illness?

Do we have to spell out every exception? How many times have we clarified that by "unearned entitlements" or any similar phrase we mean outright welfare ... free money taken by the government gunpoint and given outright to the scores of millions whose dependency is self-inflicted? SS, Medicare, pensions, etc. are contractual obligations or compensation, not unearned entitlements, and nobody would deny a mentally or physically ill victim adequate care at taxpayer expense. To imply otherwise is just rabblerousing.

The next level in question, IMO, is that of voluntarily self-inflicted disability. The welfare queen with 4 kids, the drugged-out stoner, Evil Kneivel ... how much taxpayer money should they get? Not a helluva lot, IMO ... certainly not the $60k a year a single Mom often gets. Pregnancy, let alone 4 of them, is not an act of God; it's voluntary and self-inflicted; there are known risks and consequences to unprotected sex. The TR caller who demands welfare because he can't afford to raise his four ADOPTED kids can give up those kids to a home who can afford them until and unless some program comes along to benefit ONLY those kids, and not the adults who adopt kids as welfare tickets.

Last edited by isobars on Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welfare queens and their lil' tickets. You forgot to mention the Cadillacs.

This room is really starting to smell.

I think I need to stop reading this forum.

mogunn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can take the boy out of the South but can't always take the South out of the boy. Misogyny, racism and TR … hate-speak of the weak.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyotewindsurf wrote:
You can take the boy out of the South but can't always take the South out of the boy. Misogyny, racism and TR … hate-speak of the weak.

With the Gorge having a legendary week, one would think Mr Fick would be the happiest man in the world!
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars

I am really interested to see if mrgybe has a source to prove that the "unearned entitlements" (as you say) are growing.

It is really hard to break this number out of the total entitlements number, so I am interested in how he knows this.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this from one of your favorite news sources?

Food Stamp Usage Continues Climbing To Highest Level Ever

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/03/food-stamp-usage-highest_n_917038.html
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Nice pic Bard. But I think wind is a prerequisite for windsurfing????

Not if you are as Zen as I am.... Cool
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty,

Frankly, I can't say that I disagree with much in your last post concerning illegal immigrants, although I'm not nearly as hateful about the situation as you seem to feel. Still though, you have to admit that the current laws and enforcement strategies have been virtually ineffective in addressing the problem, as the huge numbers and the real life circumstances tell the story. It's not a simple problem, as so many Americans and American firms, even small businesses, are at the root cause of it. It's hard to blame illegal immigrants for wanting to work hard and succeed. Ironically, their overall goals and strategies are in concert with the opinion piece that Bard posted.

It's also ironic that large corporate interests, as mac highlighted concerning powerful agricultural businesses, are working to defeat meaningful progress addressing the illegal immigration problems the nation has. Not too surprisingly, I would guess that large corporate interests are some of the largest supporters of the Republican party. On the flip side of the coin, we have large corporate interests keeping a focus on the illegal immigration problem and fanning the flame of hate in the tea parties and urging support for their desired candidates.

Yet, when it comes down to it, one has to ask what the congressional Republicans, with their new found gaggle of tea party conservatives, have done to address our illegal immigration problem. After winning a majority in the House of Representatives, what new and meaningful legislation have these folks produced? Predictably, none. I'm sure that these folks will continue to kick up a lot of dirt to keep the issue hot on their constituents minds, but realistically it's just an illusion and a show to draw continued support from the little guy. They don't actually have to do anything meaningful, and it's my belief that they do not intend to. Their real agenda is satisfying their powerful monied interests and contributors.

Sadly mat-ty, guys like you and Bard are being used. As much as I want important legislation to help resolve our illegal immigration problem, I know that the Republicans will not step up to the plate and take action. Similarly, all the campaigning and promises about getting unemployed Americans back to work was simply hype to win support from the little guy. Same story, no real action or important legislation to solve our unemployment problems.

You will undoubtedly blow off what I'm saying, but you just watch how things unfold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: