myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is windsurfing cool with the kids again?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Is windsurfing cool with the kids again? Reply with quote

While chatting with my geezer buddies at Isabel yesterday, we noticed the increase of youngsters (that's relative) we see sailing. Just when we thought that windsurfing was going to die off with us...there's new blood! Is this an accurate observation?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you wear boardshorts over your wetsuit!
chas5131

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video of Kona Worlds showed a lot of youngsters racing and having a great time.
antonius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last few years I was managing Vela Windsurf Resorts we noticed an increase in families that were booking windsurf gear for the whole family and more kids going along and taking lessons. Often times these were people that got out of the sport when they started having kids are getting back in now that their kids are old enough to do it with them. Hard to imagine a better sport for a family to do together I think.
I'm having a blast sailing with my kids these days.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=147037108661753&set=a.147032508662213.19954.121217364577061&type=1&theater

Tony

www.velawindsurf.com
mat-ty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting my 7 and 9 year olds on the water also. I think windsurfing will be fine. Kiting is getting a lot of people on the water, eventually I think a lot of these kiters will give windsurfing a try. Just like 15 years ago when everyone thought snowboarding would kill skiing, guess what, now with twin tip skis I am seeing way more young skiers in the last few years, including my little rats. I ski and snowboard, after 35 years of skiing I thought it would be cool to try another way down the mountain. Skiing is my first choice, but I love the fact I can do both, I think this will happen with windsurf/kitesurf also.
tyler4bu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth, every time I've been out this season I've been the only windsurfer between 18 and 30 (lots of kiters though). Probably has something to do with young people (especially in southern california) not having the determination to face the learning curve with a less expensive and easier alternative that "looks cooler".. hopefully some will get bored of kiting and want more of a challenge so they'll convert
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on the location. At Kailua Beach on Oahu where I Windsurf there are no new young Windsurfers. I do see young people taking Kite lessons there are normally about 3 to 4 times the amount of Kiters in the water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: