myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Please help me choose a board
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chas5131

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storage unit
tyler4bu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
short means no fore and aft stability as well as no glide, nor upwind ease when not planing. short typically assumes that one can plane for most of the windsurfing experience. years ago, we had not much choice for planing optional long boards. the ones like the kona one are a very good one board solution. 330 + is best imho.

Oh if you know what you're doing its not too hard to go upwind on a short, wide board in subplaning conditions: they have so much volume (anything over 150L, which you obviously need) that you can just hold the sail far aft standing all the way on the windward rail, sinking it, and effortlessly pointing at between 30 and 45 degrees upwind.. as someone that learned on a picnic table without a daggerboard you really don't need a daggerboard if you're determined. You will need a board/fin capable of about an 11 meter sail to have a shortboard in light winds though. The vast majority of the people that post here sail in primarily windier locales, but as someone who does far too much sailing on San Diego's Mission Bay where an 8.5 is considered a small sail I can say when you're stuck with ten knot winds day after day everyone rides huge sails and short, wide boards, no one glides with longboards on a consistent basis.
antonius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy taking out the EasyRide in light wind. It goes upwind just fine although admittedly not quite as well as a longer board. I really like practicing maneuvers on the shorter boards with daggerboard. If you had better storage I'd tell you to consider the RRD Longrider.
http://www.robertoriccidesigns.com/equipment/index.php/windsurfing/longrider.html

http://www.a-o-sports.com/Windsurfing/tests/longrider.htm

At 180L it's a great volume for someone your size and it has the length to provide better glide in light wind but because of your space limitation I didn't think it would be an option.

I sell about equal number of both and consider both great options for you. The EasyRide will be easier at first and will facilitate your progression into short board technique and planing sailing. The Longrider is just a great longer board that works well in light winds and is really fun as the wind picks up as well.

.5 square meter difference in recommended sail size is not that much and I would not have any problem putting an 8.0 on a EasyRide S. All three of these boards work well for learning how to plane and use footstraps when the time comes. The ER S will work with you longer than the ER M but in non-planing light wind you'll learn quicker on the bigger one so which one to pick depends on your priorities and mindset. By the time you're ready for sails that big you'll probably be thinking about a second board pretty soon if your budget allows. If not, you'll have plenty of fun on them though. Cruising around in lighter winds when planing is not going to happen anyway is more fun with a sail around 6.0 or 6.5 in my opinion. It's just more fun in maneuvers and a bigger sail will not make you go that much faster. Some people will disagree with that though.

Tony

www.velawindsurf.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: