myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ode to the dude who sails with no wetsuit at Crissy . . .
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He probably grew up swimming in ice covered lakes.

but here's a compromise: 1. he likes the feel of no suit ( and who enjoys wearing these things anyway)

2. he needs protection in case of breakdown / shutdown

Therefore: carry a suit all folded up in a bag. put it in a knapsack. hydration packs are nice to have on the water and some are combo knapsacks.

I know, that in itself would be uncomfortable, and he'd be merely semi-nude then.

-TomG
girsang

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Hypothermia Reply with quote

SWE106 is greatly exaggerating the threat of hypothermia. 12 minutes? I don't think so. I've swam from Alcatraz twice in just a speedo (the long trunk kind, not the bikini kind Wink. I also swam at Aquatic park for an hour at a time while training for those swims. Again no wetsuit.

You can go to Aquatic park on any day at any temperature and find men & women swimming without suits.

Perhaps those estimates for hypothermia are for someone who isn't moving. So if you're stuck, don't just hang onto your board and wait, work to try to get yourself out of there.

Also, I believe there is significant variation to people's comfort zones. I surf and sail in a 3/2 and often get too warm at the same time there are plenty of folks in 4/3 or 5/4/3 who are too cold.
mtnview

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomg wrote:

Therefore: carry a suit all folded up in a bag. put it in a knapsack.

-TomG

Man, I can barely get my wetsuit on in the parking lot, would be a Houdini like challenge to put one on in rolling swell! Shocked
paulbroder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Navy rule for hypothermia is:50,50,50=a 50 yr. old guy will last 50 mins in 50 degree water. It's an average.
harris52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hypothermia Reply with quote

girsang wrote:

Perhaps those estimates for hypothermia are for someone who isn't moving. So if you're stuck, don't just hang onto your board and wait, work to try to get yourself out of there.

actually this is the opposite. Swimming brings your blood away from your core resulting in more rapid heat loss and onset of hypothermia.

http://www.hypothermia.org/inwater.htm
girsang

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Hypothermia Reply with quote

That's why I wrote "get yourself out of there" and NOT keep moving to stay warm. Getting out is the best way to avoid hypothermia.
coyoteandre

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tougheing at Crissy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_BDmbGfPL0
He is a Viking from northern Europe. Sailing without wetsuit is his style. Comparing to Deven we are wimps. When I see his truck at Coyte I go out to look for him to find him 3-4 miles out. Let's keep an eye on Deven just in case.

There is no need for tarr and feathers for not wearing a wetsuit.

"Lynching is an extrajudicial execution carried out by a mob, often by hanging, but also by burning at the stake or shooting, in order to punish an alleged transgressor, or to intimidate, control, or otherwise manipulate a population of people. It is related to other means of social control that arise in communities, such as charivari, riding the rail, and tarring and feathering. Lynchings have been more frequent in times of social and economic tension, and have often been means used by the politically dominant population to oppress social challengers.
Today lynching is a felony in all states of the United States."

Month of August is the "nude windsurfing month", let's go and do it at Crissy on Saturday August 27 2011 at 4:00 PM, tide is OK.
Speedo and bikini is OK.
By the way, what are the penalties for "indecent exposure" in San Francisco? Get educated before you even think about sailing nude.
Misdemeanor Indecent Exposure Penalties
Maximum 6 months in a county jail
$1000 fine maximum
Lifetime registration as a sex offender.
That alone should cool us off.
http://www.ahmedandsukaram.com/PracticeAreas/Indecent-Exposure.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_nudity
"In some states, such as Oregon, public nudity is legal and protected as free speech, as long as there is not the "intent to arouse".
Those lucky boardheads in Hood River...

Deven's_Day.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.97 KB
 Viewed:  16123 Time(s)

Deven's_Day.JPG

Deven1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.86 KB
 Viewed:  16430 Time(s)

Deven1.jpg

100_4502.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.91 KB
 Viewed:  16431 Time(s)

100_4502.JPG

nude_surf2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.1 KB

nude_surf2.JPG

nude_surf3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.18 KB

nude_surf3.JPG

nude_surf4.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.06 KB

nude_surf4.JPG

Last edited by coyoteandre on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
chas5131

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buck naked, shorts, neoprene or whatever. People over 21 should be able to be as stupid as they want. The state can over do the mothering bit.
That is from a long time liberal gay.
xander.arch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's go, this is sf - we need a summer of love at crissy field.
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xander.arch wrote:
let's go, this is sf - we need a summer of love at crissy field.

I am completely in favor of windsurfing naked! Or at least allowing nakedness at Crissy and the Stick (but not outside of the city borders, of course). Very Happy

PS CoyoteAndre: Maybe you can remove Jackie's memorial photograph from your post (your second photos, showing people in a circle, with some crying)? It is painful still, and I don't think the photo really belongs in this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: