myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Quads in The Gorge?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bozstaggs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been riding the Quatro LS quad in the gorge this spring and summer. I don't notice the downsides that others mention. It planes up as quickly as any board I've ever ridden. It's scary fast. It's an upwind machine (including at the coast). It's the best board I've owned. Maybe it's not for everyone, but it would be a bummer if you were dissuaded without trying one because you might be missing out on a board you would be really stoked about. Have fun on the water today, it looks like it's going to nuke!
trburl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocean

Last edited by trburl on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
bjamin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We picked three Goya Quads in Maui early last Oct - 72, 78, and 92. My wife and I rode these the whole winter on Maui, and we brought the 78 here to the gorge for the (so called) summer. Between us we have about 120 days on the 78. The 92 & 72 have about 60 days each.

So obviously we really like these boards. Prior to the these I was on a custom Quattro (KT) quad board I bought from Levi. Compared to that, these are more of an all around wave board (the custom KT being more pure DTL Hookipa oriented). Most impressive is how well they have held up. Even after 120 days of Maui & Gorge the 78 looks like it just came off the rack. We had these boards in a variety of wave conditions, from way over mast high waves in the winter to nasty high trade wind bump and jump chop that we had much of the Maui spring. I got the 78 back here in time for some of the giant swell riding in early June at the Hatch and Arlington. Very fun! No problems with any of these conditions. I think the versatility of these boards is one of their greatest strengths. Also easy to store all three in the back of a small mini-van, which is nice. Supposedly quads are slow but in a few drag races I found them to be equal to most other wave boards. They get up wind easy (lowers to camp one and back) and I was often on a smaller sail then others my size, so they seem to plane quick to me. I rode the 92 with a Goya 5.3 on winter days when the wind averaged 15 and had no problem getting out and catching waves.

These boards are also great gorge swell riders - you will not spin out obviously and you can make quick cut back style turns no prob. They're strong - mine has taken many big jumps and a fair amount of loops and it's still solid. They're a very popular board in Maui and I've yet to see any broken. Plus you can replace the side fins with a blank to turn them into twinzers for a looser feel - something I plan to try the next decent day at the Hatch. On top of all that, Francisco Goya is one of the nicest human beings on the planet and I'm happy to support his business. What's not to like? The only downside is I've heard the 2011 Goya quads are nearly sold out so if you want to try one - get on it soon! (and another sign of a good design is the 2012s are the exact same shape)
surfersteve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjamin- Sounds like you have the life. Unfortunately I am working stiff (well, 4 days a week anyway) with no trust fund or IPO buy-in. Keep enjoying the good like brother!
wdsurf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: goya quads Reply with quote

Exclamation bought a goya 2011 quad 78 for my high wind board in the real world the great lakes/lake erie.got to use it yesterday for the first time.i,m 205lbs. old guy.got to use it with 5.3 while everyone went in to rerig.went upwind like on rails Very Happy slashed the windswell unreal Very Happy Very Happy tons of fun,plenty of balanced float Very Happy thought i would only use 4.7 down on it Idea greatly surprised Exclamation
bjamin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to mention that a lot of guys are using the 84 quad at Maui as their only board (instead of say a 78 & a 92). It's a good compromise if you want to handle lighter days (but not too light) up to moderately windy. Since we share boards it made more sense to have three between us.

Hey I'm trying to live the life (we all should) .. though I still work a full time gig 5 days a week. An IPO or TF sure would be nice but... at least I can work from home wherever that is, so I got that much going for me.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjamin,
I thought about doing the single board before I bought the 75 Quatro. All the talk about "you can handle 5L more without noticing" ideas around hear. But when I looked at the 75 and 85 together, the rocker was a lot different on the 85 and I thought I would lose a lot of what felt perfect on the 75. Any thoughts since you have more than one in the line with different volumes?
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfersteve wrote:
when I looked at the 75 and 85 together, the rocker was a lot different on the 85 and I thought I would lose a lot of what felt perfect on the 75. Any thoughts since you have more than one in the line with different volumes?

Good approach! There's nothing like first-hand experience, even if it's another person's, to check out a board's behavior. I'm no shape expert, but I have been tutored in hull shapes by professional sailors and shapers and by the endless shape articles the various WS mags used to run in the '80s and '90s; heck, I've even published some of my own shape analyses in WS mags. Yet I still find one or two reaches FAR more informative than half an hour with 48" rulers and oblique lighting. This stuff is complicated to begin with, and different shapers can elicit very similar behavior with very different ideas, just as they can elicit very different feels with subtle shape changes beyond my ability to distinguish in the shop.

Many people have gotten almost PO'd when I couldn't rattle off a board's shape specs, whether I was testing it for a manufacturer or had bought it for myself. Some folks can't get it through their heads that, within reason, a board's most important number is its fun factor -- whether that's based on top speed, ride quality, turning, planing threshold ... hell, color ... cost, whether it will fit in his Smart Car, etc -- and a ruler can seldom predict fun factor for ignerrunt schmucks like me ... especially when moving a mast foot one inch can make the difference between love and hate.
trburl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocean

Last edited by trburl on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Transatlantic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got out on the Fanatic Quad 79L, you can read my full review here: http://www.facebook.com/notes/gorge-surf-shop/2011-fanatic-quad-79l-review/151530348272323
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: