myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Removing Broken off batten from batten pocket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chophop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Removing Broken off batten from batten pocket Reply with quote

I broke a batten and easily pulled out the outer piece, but the front piece, deep in the pocket, is stuck.
Anyone know a way to get it out of there? I have tried sort of bending the pocket in the luff sleeve side but can't get it to budge. Wink
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a pair of pliers and squeeze the chunk like a watermelon seed to get it started. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Once you have moved it past the edge of the luff sleeve, you can use something with a hard, rounded edge to keep sliding it down the batten sleeve by pressing and "bumping" it on down the line. FYI, you risk damaging the batten sleeve in a few ways:

1) the batten chunk may have sharp splinters that cut through the sleeve.

2) the abrasion from pushing the batten chunk out may cut through an old weather beaten batten sleeve.

I'm sure you could always drop it off at a sail repair depot if you don't want to mess it up too much!

http://wind-nc.com
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After several failed attempts at extruding a broken batten luff-end out of my most-used sail (North Ice HD 5.7), I finally gave in and cut a slit in the batten pocket a short distance away from the break. I then used long-nosed pliers to grab and extract the broken piece.

Even then, a few sessions later, the next time I removed the tensioner to try to shim my way out of having cut the replacement batten a little too short, a missed piece from the original break finally got captured and dragged out with the batten.

Sail repair fabric tape from West Marine has failed to adhere usefully over the slit, indicating that a patch will need to be sewn on (or the slit just stitched shut) to obtain a durable repair. Unfortunately, my sewing results usually end up looking like the web of some spider that has been dosed with LSD.
chophop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks fellas!
joespeed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue a few years ago with my NP Search, I laid the unrigged sail flat on my garage floor and pounded on it with a rubber mallet.
You start pounding on the mast sleeve as close as possible to the batten and eventually it started inching its way out. If you have bad aim like I do and hit the batten instead of the very edge of it, no problem, its just a miss hit. It took a while but it came out and the replacement batten worked fine.

Louis
chophop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually found that a dose of silicone spray followed by a generous application of elbow grease did the trick.
I gave up worrying about crinkling the sail and crimped and forced till it budged then moved a few inches, finally i was able to kind of flick it along with my fingernail through the pocket. End result, batten out, very little damage and new custom cut batten in. Very Happy
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At BerkeleyBoardsports, we used to just drill a small whole in the front of the batten, poke in some wire, and push it almost 2' back, then use hands and folding to get it out the rest of the way.
bamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most sails have the batten pocket sewed onto one side. In this case you can just cut a few stitches on the top side of the batten pocket and pull the broken piece out.

Usually 5-10 stitches is plenty, starting about one inch behind the broken batten. If you cut closer than an inch it is hard to angle the batten out. The pocket has seam stick on it as well so you have to break the glue bond. Then just insert needle nose pliers and grab it.

To close the pocket remove the cut stitches and put a small dab of Super Glue on the seam stick and the end of the thread so it won't have means to unravel. If you want to make it super strong put adhesive Dacron tape down over the stitches you removed. The Dacron tape is overkill IMO.

It is counterintuitive to cut the stitches as you would think it would hurt the sail. In reality this does a lot less damage than the hammering, crinkling, creasing, and abrading that comes from trying to push the piece out the back. The cut and pull method also takes a fraction of the time.

If the batten is broken cleanly or the tip has separated from the tube section, a great tool to push it along is the end of the harness spreader bar.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, the easiest way to remove a broken batten tip is usually to open the sleeve and retrieve the broken piece with needle nose plyers. Use a razer or thread cutter to carefully cut the threads near the batten. Spread the sleeve apart (it will still be held together by adhesive) and then pull the broken piece out. Make sure you get the luff cap out too if there is one.

After removing the broken piece, hand stitch the pocket back together using nylon thread (or dental floss in a pinch). Stitch the sail back together by following the existing stitch holes. It's a one-hour project max start to finish.

Trying to back a broken batten tip out of the pocket is often impossible (I've never been able to do it) because it's usually wedged firmly in the luff webbing and also because the splintered ends will immediately catch on the pocket.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: