myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Word in the mouth of others
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="techno900"]Actually, I agree that Fox tries to be mainstream in their news, but they clearly fall on the conservative side of the issues.

The opposite side is the extreme MSNBC with their unbelievably liberal bias. It's somewhat entertaining, but a news show it is not.

My talk radio thing referred to a couple of stations in Dallas that have a number of syndicated national talk shows, so yes, there are many.

There are no liberal talk radio shows where I live. Is this the case nation wide? Care to suggest why there is little or no liberal radio?[/quote
Sure, I'll tell you why. 90% of radio listening is one's car. When I am cruising down highway 1, the LAST thing I want on the radio is some blabbering politico....and i think Im speaking of most liberals. I go with a little Dead, maybe Fish, the Stones, Marley, or any other music that gets me ready for a little Waddel Sesh. When my boss gives me a ride home, he alway puts Mark Levin on the radio, its terrible stuff. Liberals dont get off listening to people reinforce their views, they would rather spend the time in the present moment.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Liberals dont get off listening to people reinforce their views, they would rather spend the time in the present moment.

You couldn't have been that panhandler on the street in SF...........you're much funnier than he was!
mat-ty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is worse than Lawrence Odonnel, the man is a serious hater.

Boggs check this out, Phish covering one of my all time favorite albums.
EXILE ON MAIN STREET, much better listening than talk radio.

http://www.livephish.com/live-music/0,504/Phish-mp3-flac-download-10-31-2009-Festival-8-Indio-CA.html
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
No one is worse than Lawrence Odonnel, the man is a serious hater.

Boggs check this out, Phish covering one of my all time favorite albums.
EXILE ON MAIN STREET, much better listening than talk radio.

http://www.livephish.com/live-music/0,504/Phish-mp3-flac-download-10-31-2009-Festival-8-Indio-CA.html

Awesome link matty, im on it.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1,

Just an opinion, but I sense that conservatives are willing to listen to and watch both conservative and liberal views in the media to better understand both sides of the issues. Actually, they have little choice since the media is so liberal, that's probably why conservative talk radio is so popular.

Of course, liberals have no choice for talk radio since a liberal platform on talk radio would not likely be supported very well by liberal thinking listeners and would be besieged by conservatives. Just speculation.

About 12 years ago in Dallas, a conservative talk radio station had a two hour afternoon/evening show hosed by a strong liberal (Bob Ray Sanders). I found it quite entertaining and occasionally, both a conservative host (David Gold) and Bob Ray would debate the issues on the same show.

I am sure that it is conservative bias, but overall, the arguments from the conservative side were usually pretty weak, plus the liberal callers were even weaker with their presentations and arguments.

Nevertheless, I was very willing to listen to a liberal present his views, no reason to turn to music and stick my head in the sand.

Yes, Mark Levin can be abrasive even for conservatives, but he is very smart and knowledgeable if you can get past his ravings.
NickB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
I sense that conservatives are willing to listen to and watch both conservative and liberal views in the media to better understand both sides of the issues.

Shocked
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a poster adding an insult to a polite statement so that he can characterize the other poster as insulting and childish.
Such practices are a form of mental masturbation in which a person is providing both the insult and the indignant rebuttal.

"you might consider adding a closing like "So there, Mr. Butt Face". That's the way adolescents hide their embarrassment at being caught in a lie. Try it!"
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also consider looking up the definition of "invective" (e.g. discourse that casts blame on somebody or something, denunciation, censure, or reproach). Perhaps a little broader than you thought? Hope that helps sooth the harried brow.
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"tell me if he reinforces your notion, and that of many others, of the corrupt, immoral oil baron. "
Here is a poster assigning another poster an opinion that he does not hold and then refuting the ignorant other persons opinion. The other poster has no opinion at all of this guy he has never even heard of.

the other poster has a low opinion of armies of lobbyists employed by big corps who he thinks do not all tell the truth,but that is a generalized notion applied to no company and certainly not this one guy who is an Exec at some company.
These and other examples show to me the route by which the two sides have become so polarized on so many things . The big difference in view point are not real. They are imaginary opinions assigned to others and debated at length
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop quiz!!! How many posters were in the last poster's post??? Respond post haste!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: