myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Word in the mouth of others
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Word in the mouth of others Reply with quote

I have taken an interest along with some of my Euro friends as to the reason for the polarization between the left and the right in the States. It is damaging our country.
Several of them hold the opiniopn that it is centered on the habit of suppling extremist opinions to others and them showing how foolish that opinion would be.
If you ask any conservative how liberals feel on a subject they often respond with nonsense
.I have been told that they want to hand the country over to the terrorists
They want to send tens trillions of dollars to some unspecified nation to halt global warming.
They all want to sit on their asses while the government pays their bills.
They want to turn the US into a commie nation.
They want to take away everyones rifles while the outlaws kill us all.
They want the Mexicans to take over our country.
THey want to hand our country over to the Arabs.
They want to expand the government and raise everyones taxes including their own.
Taxes are so high now because of liberals we can't afford to buy food.

At one time this was aproblem with the left, but these days it is hard to speak to a conservative without one of these opinions being assigned to you and others.
I think it goes back to Clinton. He was so effective with the media that the lobbyist scum jumped on the bandwagon and are driving the media to supply opinions to others through every media
To reach the ignorant they are using talk radio and TV.In one night on Fox you will hear numerous opinions assigned to liberals.
The problem is that liberals and moderates account for most of our country. They do not want it to fail.
No sane person believes the things assigned to liberals.
I got that list above from one single redneck. When I asked if that seemed insane to him he said "yes.All the liberals in America have gone out of their minds "
This seems almost funny but it is hurting our country badly. Reasonable discourse among intelligent folks is the key to American success.
To show this trend in sharp focus just listen to the Tea folks. I agree with their basics completely but if you speak to them or read their rants you will hear a lot of opinions assigned to others which are rubbish.
It is much easier to understand stupid opinions than think out complex nuances.
In another post I asked liberals how the felt on these issues and got reasonable thoughtful responses.
Where are the imaginary liberals who are trying to destroy our country?
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Word in the mouth of others Reply with quote

Keycocker said "In another post I asked liberals how the felt on these issues and got reasonable thoughtful responses."

Liberals talking to liberals will hear reasonable thoughtful responses.

Conservatives talking to conservatives will hear reasonable thoughtful responses.

Liberals talking to conservatives and vice verse will hear nonsense.

I hear nonsense from both sides, but more from those with different viewpoints than mine.

This won't change, but it would be nice to see it toned down a bit.
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In many cases the positions are different but in many more the two sides agree about everything but some small sticking point.If one guy says you are trying to set up a Nazi State run by rich people, then it turns into a fight over pure BS.
When I hear conservatives speak to each other about liberals they often attribute utter nonsense to them.Libs do this too, but they are not driven by a relentless flow of BS opinions heard on talk radio and TV.and internet.

see Drudge Report for many examples.
See Fact check too and Politico

The list posted above was copied down from a conversation between three GOP.
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keycocker,

BS flows in equal amounts from both sides, and your views only substantiate my point. Everything that we disagree with is BS.

When the conservative media is pretty much limited to Fox, the Wall Street Journal and a couple of talk radio programs, that is a pretty small piece of the overall media dominated by the liberals.

Some of the liberal media occasionally do a pretty good job of presenting themselves as non biased and middle of the road, but their liberal views surface pretty consistently anyway.

What's good about Fox is that they don't try to present themselves in anyway but conservative, you know where they stand. The rest of the media tries to appear neutral, but their bias does show through. It's a subtle con that most likely does influence the uninformed & naive.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno900, it appears your puppet master has acted as one would expect:
“Bury your mistakes,” Rupert Murdoch is fond of saying.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/18/news-of-the-world-sean-hoare
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
What's good about Fox is that they don't try to present themselves in anyway but conservative, you know where they stand.

the conservative media is pretty much limited to Fox, the Wall Street Journal and a couple of talk radio programs,

What on earth are you talking about? You really sound like you don't watch or read much about Fox. Research from every angle confirms repeatedly that Fox News overall is very neutral, that whole network biases are almost exclusive to the rest of the media with only Fox anchoring the center viewpoint. Fox's biases are at the individual level, with Geraldo and his sycophants on the left to balance the guys like Hannity. What the heck fun would a whole network of exactly centered clones be? Some of FNC's programs also ensure that its guests and their commentary time reflect a very even balance, and the criteria for fair treatment from most hosts are honest, direct, supportable, concise answers, not point of view. O'Reiley loves to have Kucinich on his show, and treats him very fairly because Kucinich doesn't play games; he's proud of his idiotic ideas.

You make the same error with the WSJ. Its news dept is at the left extreme, while its editorial section leans far right. And a "couple" of conservative TR shows? Probably dozens at the national and regional syndicated levels, hundreds or thousands of locals. The public just doesn't want to hear left wing screed, and votes with its knobs. Even Soros couldn't keep Air America afloat, and NPR was caught with its biases down. If it weren't for Fox anchoring the center and TR yelling from the right, the giant (but rapidly shrinking) left wing media monolith would continue getting away with concealing the left's faux pau.
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Any opinion that does not conform with yours is manipulation? Even if I accepted tha..."
Co boardhead did not say this.
It was provided by another poster to substitute for his real remarks.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a great show on NG last night , all about the roman invasion of England. It was fantastic. I went to bed thinking how amazing the history of mankind is, instead of going to bed mad from listening to all the yakking fools on the talk shows. I think it would be healthy for all of us political junkies to stay informed , but chill out a little.
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry techno. I didn't mean I got reasonable responses on the issues. I am a lifelong conservative and the responses from Mac and Stephen on conservative talking points showed a good bit of agreement with conservatives.I hear this off the board from libs as well. I once was fond of reading the GOP platform to liberals and they almost always agreed with nearly all.
None of them wanted to give america away to nonworking bums ,commies, terrorists. They are heartfelt patriots like 99% of Americans.
By the way you are right about Fox according Murdoch. It seems there is a single person on earth who believes the blather about "fair and balanced" on Fox and that is not the guy who controls the content, Mr Murdoch.
I believe the media is neither liberal or conservative. every story is measured by the single standard of MONEY. The hundreds of Talk Shows know their market and speak to the least well informed to sell them soap powder.
Any media outlet would be happy to change their format today if it sold more advertiser time. I heard this from a Fox newscaster when she was a CNN newscaster.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I agree that Fox tries to be mainstream in their news, but they clearly fall on the conservative side of the issues.

The opposite side is the extreme MSNBC with their unbelievably liberal bias. It's somewhat entertaining, but a news show it is not.

My talk radio thing referred to a couple of stations in Dallas that have a number of syndicated national talk shows, so yes, there are many.

There are no liberal talk radio shows where I live. Is this the case nation wide? Care to suggest why there is little or no liberal radio?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: