myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kitemare part two
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cvalk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Kitemare part two Reply with quote

this has gotten out of hand. My intention in writing about this was to emphasize the inherent peril of slack lines in water, they loop, rocky shores and bottoms, and current. As they taught us about ropes in scuba, if it can it will. Plus having a sharp knife.
But that aside this was a collaborative effort starting with my friend Dave in his car up on the top of the levee saying he thought that guy might need , something I had forgotten completely in the rush of it all. If there was a hero it was the guy with the knife that had to go underwater to cut the second leg free. But we really were in no danger and did exactly what the rest of you would do.
As for kitters some of my best friends are those guys and the last time I needed help that is were it came from. Very Happy
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Kiters & Windsurfers Reply with quote

Hi Carol,

You still Rock! You went out on the board, kept your head and launched up current to make it work. Got flotation to the person in trouble and called for the knife. Just cause you did not dive under the water with the knife, does not make what you did do, any less significant.

Better than what I hear is happening at Davenport Landing where there were four fist fights between kiters and windsurfers this past week. Seems the kiters want to take over Davy. I had five stitches put into my head from there last Sunday, but that was because the head of my boom smacked me in the face. It only looked like I had been in a fight.

Windward1
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Davenport on Monday and Tuesday and didn't see any kiters. We have a problem here in Malibu with kites clogging the wave zone, but never a fist fight. LG's are closing beaches temporarily/permanently to kites. More guys are streaming into Malibu. LG's are nervous on the big days.

Davenport is a larger venue than we have here, but I can understand the potential frustration. Lifeguards are closing sites to kiting, and that effects windsurfing. No such problem in SC I hope. Wadell/Scotts seem to have been taken over by kites. Davenport seemed a friendly and upbeat windsurfing venue to me. Everyone was helpful, because I was nervous about going out on a logo high+ swell at a place I'd never been.

The mood can all change with one agro kite or quick jibing wsfer. Kites should remember that they are a much larger "vessel" than wsfers. They can't stall up on the critical section and beat upwind on a wave like we can. They can't wait for the wave to go critical and charge at will. That makes it much more difficult to share waves like the wsrfers do. It makes it more difficult to remain friends, even though my best friend is a kiter.

I hope the kiters understand that if they burn us, they are hurting themselves, so clean up your lines, carry a good knife, ease up on the 300 jibes in the wave zone, and be kind on the beach......
koogzah

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
That makes it much more difficult to share waves like the wsrfers do.

You mean like they do in SoCal? Cool

https://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15556
gboehm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Kiters & Windsurfers Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Hi Carol,

You still Rock! You went out on the board, kept your head and launched up current to make it work. Got flotation to the person in trouble and called for the knife. Just cause you did not dive under the water with the knife, does not make what you did do, any less significant.

Better than what I hear is happening at Davenport Landing where there were four fist fights between kiters and windsurfers this past week. Seems the kiters want to take over Davy. I had five stitches put into my head from there last Sunday, but that was because the head of my boom smacked me in the face. It only looked like I had been in a fight.

Windward1
elenna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Kiters & Windsurfers Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Hi Carol,

Windward1

Unless the windsurfers drove to Scott's Creek, I find that hard to believe. As a windsurfer and kiter, Also, there's nothing in the messageboards about a confrontation at davenport this year.
thuledog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were no fist fights between kiters and windsurfers at Davenport last week. Windward1- please do not post things that you do not know about, especially things that just create animosity.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
hemmy007

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

I was down there all last week for the SW swell and there were NO fights between ws and ks at any time.

Other fights on and off the water, maybe, but not with ks/ws. ;-O

thuledog wrote:
There were no fist fights between kiters and windsurfers at dp last week. Windward1- please do not post things that you do not know about, especially things that just create animosity.
capetonian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koogzah wrote:
stevenbard wrote:
That makes it much more difficult to share waves like the wsrfers do.

You mean like they do in SoCal? Cool

https://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15556

Don't you think it is time to give it a rest?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: