myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ode to the dude who sails with no wetsuit at Crissy . . .
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Ode to the dude who sails with no wetsuit at Crissy . . . Reply with quote

//

Yeah: Was kinda cool seeing you out there yesterday ripping in your board shorts despite the 58 degree air temp and prevailing 24mph westerlies. I kinda shook my head at the sight as I rigged and pulled on my 5/3 neoprene.

Boo: Sailing in these conditions with no rubber seems kinda risky . . . esp. if you venture outside the Gate on the ebb.

Yeah: Was impressed you made it out, and really seemed to know what you were doing as we plied the swell of South Tower/Fort Point together.

Boo: The fog started to roll in, the wind started to become a little "mushy", and the ebb started to really kick in . . . . I started back in.

Yeah (sort of): As I worked my way under the bridge through failing wind and increasing current, I looked back to see you still hammerin' the South Tower gap.

Boo: I over-rigged and still had trouble getting back inside the bay, I began running thru the possible "out" strategies (swim, call CG on my VHF, etc.), but as I dodged the oncoming freighter, I kept wondering about you -- the dude with no wetsuit and no radio, still out in the deep water.

Yeah: Still some blue sky out across from Anita Rock, I'm able to tack up the north side and cut back across to Crissy, even got a couple reaches in near-shore before things really shut down.

Boo: There is growing concern at the beach as others, some who knew you, noticed you hadn't gotten back. Concerned sailors stopped de-rigging, and pulled out binocs to search for you through the streaming fog. I think someone called the Coast Guard.

Yeah: Someone finally spots you and your rig on the back of a small motorboat, headed toward Crissy.

Boo: People are relieved, but a little stressed (even me, and I don't even know you). Stories are told about how this has happened to you before, and that "everybody" has warned you about the dangers of hypothermia, exacerbating an already risky endeavor. But you will have none of it, you must sail "free" . . .

Final BOO: Hey, I'm all for doing what you want, how you want, but sailing outside the Gate without a wetsuit (or radio) on a cold, foggy ebb tide is just plain selfish (not to mention pretty darn stupid) . . . at best, you are inconveniencing others who have to stop whatever fun they're having to keep you alive. At worst, you're putting these same people in harm's way as they have to effect a rescue. Hey, I know, I took the risk yesterday too and almost didn't back get in, but you are dancing with the devil brother, and someone, maybe not you, is gonna get hurt. Have fun, sail hard, but please, please, wear some rubber!

//
SWE106

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like to get involved in "(s)he said that (s)he did" issues, but I agree with this post whole heartily. Hypothermia gets all, no exceptions.

IMHO, if you decide to only wear board shorts in conditions like crissy has to offer; please also accept that after such a decision you shouldn't rely on others to help you out when things turn sour. And they turn sour much quicker due to not wearing a wetsuit...

Now I am not a lawyer, and besides the fact that not wearing a wetsuit at crissy is a bad decisions to say the least, but "persons who knowingly commit dangerous actions that put someone in harms way can be found guilty of culpable negligence, which can carry either a second- or first-degree misdemeanor charge and is punishable by up to 60 days or a year in jail."

I hope it never gets that far (our judicial system is already clogged IMHO), but it seems like you just did that by deciding not to wear a wetsuit... Have fun windsurfing behind bars someday maybe...

Btw: I have several old but still very good O'neill wetsuits hanging uselessly at home (Size XL, from 2/3s to 3/4s). Please come pick one up for free!!
chophop

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely the windsurfer is Devin, Matt Pritchard's friend. I see him all of the time sailing with just shorts. He did have the good sense to wear a wetsuit when he sailed on the coast last year.

Doubt the issue is money; he drives around with a truck full of rigged sails.
I think that most people, down in the water out by the bridge, off Crissy would be hypothermic within a half hour. Altough everyone is different. I do not know if he realizes he is really risking his life.
Sad
ctuna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: He got in trouble at the stick doing that Reply with quote

But he is from one of the Nordic countrys I think.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let natural selection take its course.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Naked Guy" is Deven. He is Polish, and he's a very friendly chap. He's broken down multiple times, and he's very good at taking care of himself and usually does not require outside help when this happens. Yes, we all worry about him, but sailing w/o a wetsuit makes him happy, and he is probably as responsible as he can be and doesn't rely on others for his safety.

He does wear a wetsuit in the spring and winter, and he also has neoprene "shin guards" to keep cold water off his lower legs Laughing

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OFF TOPIC: just noticed that my last post, message #6 in the thread, was on page 1 of the thread... I guess they changed the posts per page? Laughing
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
geohaye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Kevin, you were right that 5-per page was just too tight for these forum pages. Some savings in terms of website speed, but not worth it. Re-set to 10 per page. Smile

PS: I never even *thought* of not wearing a wetsuit at Crissy. Deven is definitely thinking outside the box, I'd say.

kevinkan wrote:
OFF TOPIC: just noticed that my last post, message #6 in the thread, was on page 1 of the thread... I guess they changed the posts per page? Laughing

Last edited by geohaye on Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
chibichibi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would love get me some of those shin splash guards. Laughing
SWE106

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chophop wrote:
... I think that most people, down in the water out by the bridge, off Crissy would be hypothermic within a half hour. Altough everyone is different... Sad

In temperatures of about 50 F it is estimated that hypothermia sets in after about 12 minutes for an average adult.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: