myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
old style board need help rigging
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huntsman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: old style board need help rigging Reply with quote

hi guys i got this old board from craigslist as before i got a modern one but its to small for the wind conditions over here. So i decided to get a big one in order to learn how to windsurf but i need help rigging it as its different then the other one.

This one instead of a extension it just has a cup looking thing where the bottom of the mast fits into. And the clamp to hold the rope is on the other side of how it normally should be. Also it does no have a hole to feed the rope in first. So i dont know from which side the rope should be going through.

hopefully you guys could help me out im trying to go to the beach later today and give it a try i just need to rig it first here are some pics to give you an idea of what im talking about.

100_0184.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1020.3 KB
 Viewed:  24880 Time(s)

100_0184.JPG

100_0182.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.08 MB
 Viewed:  24880 Time(s)

100_0182.JPG

swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mastbase you've got is quite old, and without a hole to start aside from the pulleys, the best you can do is a 4 to 1 arrangement. The tack fitting on the sail is designed for a 6 to 1 arrangement, so you'll only be able to thread the line through twice instead of three times. You should be able use it that way, but it's tough to achieve proper downhaul of the sail without the normal 6 to 1 mechanical advantage. Also, if the universal can't be removed from the mastbase, everything gets a lot tougher because you can't use a winch or put your foot on the end of mastbase to properly brace yourself for the job.

I hate to say it, but you really need to get a modern mastbase. However, if you still want to give things a try in the meantime, you need to keep things balanced when threading through the tack fitting by using only the outer positions.
huntsman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks and i do have the modern stuff but the board is to small to learn on. All i need is to buy a good board that takes the modern mast base. Any way for now ima give it a try on this one and some time soon i will try to buy a newer board. And i see what your talking about the downhaul seems like its going to be hard to pull on it.. But could you link me to a example of 4-1 arrangment as i dont know how to thread that. thank you very much.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I can't help you much there, but maybe someone else could.

In the days when I used a 4 to 1 mastbase, I was threading through a single grommet in the sail. That said, I would experiment a bit. I think that you'll quickly find what works the best under the circumstances.
huntsman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah alright well thanks for everything. I guess ima have to mess around with it. Also im assuming i should thread through the 2 side pullys on the sail instead of the middle one to make the force even. But ill let you know how it goes and if i figure anything out.
gpadmos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would starting the downhaul at the tack help any? I'm lousy with mechanical advantage calculations on pulley systems but it seems that would make it a 5:1.
huntsman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm it might, will have to give it a try
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an old Neil Pryde sail by looking at the pulley on the sail. On my old neil prydes, the had a drawing on the bottom of the sail showing how the lines run up and down without crossing or binding on the pulleys.

Your extension should work with the sail pulleys. However, Look to see if there is a line attachment hole so the line doesn't make its first run up to the sail behind the pulley. You need both pulleys on the base to rig it properly.

If the sail doesn't have the drawing, somewhere on line you should find a drawing, which is standard for a 5 pulley system.
mogunn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope this pic helps.

np_downhaul.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.82 KB
 Viewed:  26582 Time(s)

np_downhaul.png

swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo's illustration above is spot on if the sail's tack fitting and pulley arrangement are in line with each other. However, if the sail's tack fitting and pulley arrangement are at 90 degrees to each other, the threading of the line is totally different, as the line must be threaded in an opposing manner. The photos you posted indicate that your situation will be the latter scenario.

I will try to find an illustration that depicts proper threading when everything is 90 degrees to each other.

Check out this site for a picture of the two scenario's. It's short on the "how to do it" part, you can still see enough to recognize the difference.

http://www.sailworks.com/documents/sails/Revolution/rigging.cfm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: