myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What should we cut to reduce the deficit?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pointster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

considering the hundred million people who pay no taxes but get fat tax rebates and unearned entitlements just because they draw breath ... and vote.

Actually, most pay the payroll tax, along with various excise taxes and state taxes. But you knew that, right?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad. I forgot to add the implied word "federal", as that's the source of their "rebates". After all, a Mom and two kids a family on welfare + minimum wage job receives more disposable income from the taxpayers and the burger joint than does a family of four earning $60,000 per year. What's her incentive to get some education and a better job? The Fair Tax goes a long ways towards solving problems like that.
pointster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
My bad. I forgot to add the implied word "federal", as that's the source of their "rebates". After all, a Mom and two kids a family on welfare + minimum wage job receives more disposable income from the taxpayers and the burger joint than does a family of four earning $60,000 per year. What's her incentive to get some education and a better job? The Fair Tax goes a long ways towards solving problems like that.

You also forgot the word "income" as in federal income tax.

While I don't know where your assertion about disposable income for welfare mom vs family of four comes from, I would venture that the fact that welfare has a limit of five years might be an incentive to get an education and a better job. Of course, at our current unemployment rate, and with cuts to education budgets, the having the incentive does does not equate to the likely actual ttainment of a better education and/or job.

I've been wondering about a term for people who think you shouldn't vote unless you have some "skin in the game". "Skinheads" comes to mind, but it seems to have been taken, as a term for fascist thugs.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The disposable income fact was posted with source citation month ago. It is inexcusable.

As has been shown in numerous studies around the world, the primary incentive for the vast majority on unemployment benefits is the end of those benefits ... also cited months ago.

I like the idea of having to pass a knowledge quiz to become eligible to vote.
I would not have been able to pass such a quiz until the 1990s, in my 50s, and still believe my votes before that point were not deserved, relevant, or morally valid. These dimwits Leno finds who have no clue who the very leaders of our nation are are not qualified to cast a vote for same.
pointster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

I like the idea of having to pass a knowledge quiz to become eligible to vote.
I would not have been able to pass such a quiz until the 1990s, in my 50s, and still believe my votes before that point were not deserved, relevant, or morally valid. These dimwits Leno finds who have no clue who the very leaders of our nation are are not qualified to cast a vote for same.

OK, as long as I get to write the test, and gade it.

p.s. no multiple choice
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
These dimwits Leno finds who have no clue who the very leaders of our nation are are not qualified to cast a vote for same.

Unless they vote for the latest Fox favorite. Then, of course, it's OK.
Bigred1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: NEVER ON DEFENSE Reply with quote

Never cut on our national defense,administrate it better and eliminate the corrupt parasites that are inside the system? YES,.... but NEVER cut down our department of defense. The US is what it is today in a very BIG WAY,thanks to our military.... And weeeeeee allllll despite our opinions enjoy day by day the benefits of that in this country.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy 4th y'all.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this, impossible to say it better: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/05/opinion/05brooks.html?_r=1&emc=eta1

But just in case the Republicans are too stupid to cut a deal, and think they can shut down the government, here is Obama's hole card--the 14th Amendment.

Quote:
The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned.

I want mr oily knickers to tell me again how cool the Tea party is.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Few Americans, however, take the view that spending cuts alone should be made in a deal, with no tax increases at all. In fact, only 26 percent of the Republican voters surveyed in Gallup’s poll took that position, along with 20 percent of voters overall."
If the GOP refuses the will of their own people, they should be replaced with smarter conservatives who represent us and not the lobbyists.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: