myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Suitable board for a 130lbs 16yr old?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2000hpbob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Suitable board for a 130lbs 16yr old? Reply with quote

I've taken a few lessons and surfed around with my friends a few times using their boards and I decided I wanted to buy one. weight: 130 lbs, 60kg Height: 5'8 16 yrs old and athletic. I saw a Exocet Pacer Sport in my area on craigslist VOLUME: 216 liters, length 290 and i was considering either buying this or a bic hybrid OD ( i realize it is a racing board but there both big enough i figured i could learn on them) I want a board that i will be able to ride until for the next five years preferably one that is good in both light wind and heavy wind (retractable centerboard most likely) considering wind is very inconsistent in florida 5mph-30mph. My knowledge of windsurf boards consists of a few wiki articles and what my friends tried to explain to me so i don't know if these boards will work or if I'm way off the mark, any explanation of how to choose the proper board for me and some recommended suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Eric.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eric,

Both are good all-around boards with high-performance potential for light and strong winds. I've heard good things about the Bic, and I think it might be more adaptable to different sail sizes and styles of sailing, so I would lean towards that one if they are similar prices. With a 7.5 sail or so, you should be able to get it moving fast in fairly light winds. If you're sailing in shallow lagoons a lot you may need to get a weed-fin around 40 - 50 cm.

Another good option is the "Kona ONE".

-James
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good man, Bob, for giving us much relevant data. However, I do see two problems:
• NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY (but for the weird exception who proves me wrong), buys just one WS board and uses it for his first five years. Not only is it not practical as our skills progress, but it would be like discovering kissing and then wanting to kiss only one person for the next five years. It ain't gonna happen.
• Most if not all race boards are the exact opposite in almost every way of what a novice wants or needs. They're finicky, exacting, specialized, demanding, high-maintenance princesses which will resist your every idea, whereas you want a user-friendly slut of a board which will do anything you want at nothing more than your mere suggestion. Learning how to WS on a race board would be much like learning to drive in a helicopter or F-22 or learning how to kiss from Lady Gaga; even if you survive the encounter, you haven’t learned much practical information for the real world.

Mike \m/
TheAdmiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Just posted about bic293od and how versitle this board is . Lightweights,heavyweights,light wind strongwinds.Even comes with a nose protector which all newbies should have. Go to youtube and watch this board doing it all, Mark
2000hpbob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you doug, iso and admiral your knowledge is very helpful I’m looking into the Kona one now also. And Admiral the board that is on my local craigslist is the bic model one up from the bic 293 it is the one that was designed for the 17+ racing division (http://www.bicsportwindsurf.com/products/boards,3,31/hybrid,329.html), are they comparable for a beginner or is there an advantage to one over the other? Thanks
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're willing to buy a board based on one sentence written by Bic PR ("It is also an all round and easy-to-use funboard for windsurfers of all ages and experience levels"), you're going to fall prey to advertising hype every spring. I strongly suggest you do much more research first.
2000hpbob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What board or board category/manufacturer would you suggest would be right for me, also wondering how do you go about determining if it would be a good board for me, is there a specific shape volume length etc. I have done some research but there is a lot of hype out there and i can't always distinguish between facts and just a sales pitch. Thanks for the help iso
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kona one, the pacer, or the bic have lots of wind range. if one were to have just one board, one would be happy with any discussed. the pacer would be the most scary in lots of wind, but one could tone down (down size about 12-15 cm) the fin for a more staid level of performance until one embraces such behavior.

the kona one will suit for the widest variety of wind range, the bic next, and the pacer, with lots of skills, will eventually, outmatch the other 2. all good choices.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't waste time doing a lot of research or reading posts by manufacturer pumpers. Buy a board and rig and sail it.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2000hpbob wrote:
What board or board category/manufacturer would you suggest would be right for me, also wondering how do you go about determining if it would be a good board for me, is there a specific shape volume length etc. I have done some research but there is a lot of hype out there and i can't always distinguish between facts and just a sales pitch. Thanks for the help iso

I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable on current big or novice boards to recommend specific boards for you. I've never seen any of the boards these guys are talking about, because I've sailed and seen only gear too small for you for the last 20 years. That's why my comments have been general rather than board-specific. Listen to the other guys here, possibly even including Speedysailor to a point, because his relevant hidden message is that nothing counts as much as time on the water (TOW) and lessons, and trying to make any one board satisfy you from Day One to Year Five is unrealistic.

I'd want to see more people praise any race gear as good beginner fodder before I'd even think about it. It's certainly improved -- it HAD to -- in user-friendliness since the race gear I tested for a high-wind-only magazine 20 through 15 years ago; if that edgy crap were all the sport offered I'd have quit WSing right there and then. Learning good skills will be challenging enough, believe me; you want gear that's on YOUR side, not stuff that demands advanced technique. Ditto for cams, IMO, unless you buy modern cammed sails whose cams and luff sleeves are user-friendly; most cammed sails before roughly 2000 were PITAs because their large mast/luff sleeves gathered loads of water and some cam mechanisms were balky nightmares. Racing and beginning gear are at such opposite ends of the skill spectrum that I can't comprehend one board or sail design being practical for both.

Mike \m/

Last edited by isobars on Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: