myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Washoe Update
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Washoe Update Reply with quote

How is the water level at Washoe? I normally spend a week at Donner but this year I got forced in to Zepher Cove. I don't expect any wind there and the drive to Donner, Stampede or Bocca is a bit long from Zepher, but Washoe is just over the hill. For Donner I normally bring 5.5, 6.6 & 7.3 with a 115 & 133 liter boards. For Zepher I figure I'll need my formula but Washoe could change things if there is water.

Coachg
mpnv

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: washoe update Reply with quote

No water worries at Washoe this yr. There will be plenty of water for the entire season. Launch is at the north ramp. We're always glad to have more windsurfers show up !
-Mike
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I'm not going to need a weed fin am I? Just wondering with the low water the last few years.

I guess I can also bring some smaller gear. Laughing

Coachg
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No weed needed. Washoe is pretty much a bring everything zone. Hope to see ya out there.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there. By north ramp do you mean the launch on the east side, county road 23?

Coachg
ronm41

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
I'll be there. By north ramp do you mean the launch on the east side, county road 23?

Coachg

Not sure if they call it "county road 23" but the sailing launch is at the end of Lakeshore Drive. So coming from South Shore LT, you go threw Carson City on 395 toward Reno, exit on East Lake Blvd just past CC and drive around lake to Esmeralda turn left, turn left on Lakeshore and the entrance is about 1/2 mile.
Water level is way up already, pretty sandy beach and no rocks or obstacles. wind has been a little iffy so far this season as the temps have been cool with afternoon clouds choking the wind off. However, the temps are on the rise so we should start getting thermal patterns and the traditional wind. As far as gear, Washoe is usually all or nothing so if it is decently sailable the ave is over 17 and typically would be like 15-30 and choppy. Most guys here sail 5.0-6.5 and 105-120 liter boards. Not alot of light wind or Formula sailing here as when the wind is under 15 it is light and puffy. Hope that helps, Washoe is probably the best chance locally for shortboard wind and during the Summer the chances are pretty good. There is a wind line: 775 849 7648. Wind at Washoe is always a afternoon event so don't expect any sailing before 2:00.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. This weekend looks like it will blow at both Tahoe & Washoe. Later in the week it looks like Carson City is going to heat up. Is that what I should be watching for to get an idea of when the wind will blow at Washoe?

Thanks,
Coachg
beallmd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOBEL PRIZE for anyone who develops a system for accurately predicting the 'goddamned wind' at Washoe. However, the wind is predicted for Reno for Saturday at 15 to 25 west; this is very favorable. 10 to 20 west is good. What is predictable is the wind will blow in the 20 mph range 2 to 3 days in a given week. Look at the iwindsurf site for Washoe, but you have to be there at something like 3:30 to 5:00 to rig and get a good session. West is always better than SW or worse yet; south. Sometimes, often, the wind up on Slide Mountain gives a hint of whats to come; http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?wfo=rev&sid=nv&pil=rwr
Many times we'll watch that in the morning to get a feel for the day.
Lastly, unless there is north in the forecast like today, be there at 3:30 or 4 and hope.
WNW is okay for direction, but not north or northeast.
gpmartin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys, Hate to change topic in the middle of this great post, but I am wondering if anyone knows of a guy named Callum or Calleb at Washoe Lake. He kite boards. I have been trying to get ahold of him for a few weeks. Lost his number.

See you guys down there tomorrow. Sounds like it might be good.

Greg
ronm41

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpmartin wrote:
Hey Guys, Hate to change topic in the middle of this great post, but I am wondering if anyone knows of a guy named Callum or Calleb at Washoe Lake. He kite boards. I have been trying to get ahold of him for a few weeks. Lost his number.

See you guys down there tomorrow. Sounds like it might be good.

Greg

I know a guy named Cullen who did windsurf and now kiteboards. Wife is Mellissa, if this is the guy PM me and I will give you his #.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: