myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
GPS Speed Sailing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paypal wrote:
the GT-31 and the GT-11 are not waterproof, you have to use an aquapack or the warranty will be voided. I did the initial design and development work on them back in 2006 and they were not designed for use in water, that's just something we started using them for until we realised the "o" ring system we used couldn't take the abuse of speedsailing. The Garmin Foretrex 201 was a lot more waterproof!

On a (windsurfing) water resistance scale of 0 (a Kleenex?) to 10 (an anchor?), where might the Foretrex 305 fit in fresh water? Should I wear it on my wrist or bag it on my arm? I don't need long term bulletproof durability, because I don't care how fast I'm going; it's a short term, occasional-use curiosity. No point drowning it unnecessarily, though.

Any clear winner in the Droid GPS speedometer app market?

Mike \m/
grayson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mulekick84 wrote:
I bought the H2O armband and plan to use it with the Cyclemeter program on my Iphone.

For smartphones and other gadgets that might be much more expensive and/or much more sensitive to water than devices with IPx7 water resistance rating, you might seriously consider double-bagging (using aLOKSAC or even regular Ziploc for the inner bag) and/or including some form of desiccant in the bag. Re-use any of those desiccant packets that come packaged with electronic gadgets (you know, the ones that say "do not eat", 'cuz you know the first thing I think when I find an odd looking pouch of unknown substance is "hmm, I wonder what that tastes like"), or just buy a pack of 'em online.
mogunn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food Saver or Seal-a-Meal type devices are great for waterproofing electronic gadgets.
NickB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grayson wrote:
Re-use any of those desiccant packets that come packaged with electronic gadgets (you know, the ones that say "do not eat", 'cuz you know the first thing I think when I find an odd looking pouch of unknown substance is "hmm, I wonder what that tastes like").

Sorry, a bit off-topic here, but a friend had to call poison control about this once after we suspected our kids (his daughters and my son) had ingested some of the little balls contained in a ripped packet... Turns out it does not say "do not eat" because it's poisonous, it says so because it's a chocking hazard (can expand in your throat while sucking up all its moisture). If the kid is still breathing, the kid is fine Smile pfeew...

Back on topic, with my GPS watch of limited waterproofness (rated 1m deep for 1 hr), I've been assuming that the real danger would be to have it hit the water hard, thus subjecting the waterproof joins to a pressure it's not designed for, with water trying very hard to get through after a catapult slam for example. With that assumption, I'd think that any layer between the water and the device would help, be it a wetsuit sleeve or a ziplock bag. Maybe I'm wrong, time will tell...
feuser

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paypal wrote:
The GT-31 is old technology, I developed the base unit back in 2006 and it hasn't changed much since...meanwhile the tech world has moved on. Smartphones can be had for $120-160 and the H20 waterproof pack for $60-80. The technology and GPS in the smartphones is so much better than the old Sirf chipset in the GT-31. I don't even bother activating the smartphone, I just use it for GPS and WiFi connection. Having it read out you your speed and maximum as you sail along makes a huge difference to trimming the board and sail for max speed, waiting until you finish the run and looking down at the GT-31 is not as efficient. All GPS are subject to spikes when they lose track of satellites, some just have more filters and damping to average out the results. At the end of the day the thrill of knowing how fast you are going is what it's all about.

Roo

Thanks for the info Roo. Considering that the SIRF is outdated and probably even superseeded by the chipset found in cell phones today, I am looking at a solution for the iPhone for tracking and real-time display.
http://itunes.apple.com/app/id405239907#

Anyone here familiar with the waterproof armband from H2Audio:
http://www.h2oaudio.com/store/waterproof-armbands/amphibx-cat/amphibx-waterproof-armband-for-large-mp3-players-and-phones-r.html

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the H2O armband, but haven't used it. I've heard they are solid and noticed Wyatt sailing with one a ton last summer.

I have the iphone program, Cylcemeter. It provides gps tracking, aerial maps, hybrid maps, and many other features and you can email your routes/data right out of the phone. I've used it for MTBing for over a year. Great Product for $4.99.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't suppose theres a "Jump Box" like app out there? I'm not that
interested in where or how long my horizontal trail is, but I am
curious about my vertical trail.

-Craig

Mulekick84 wrote:
I bought the H2O armband, but haven't used it. I've heard they are solid and noticed Wyatt sailing with one a ton last summer.

I have the iphone program, Cylcemeter. It provides gps tracking, aerial maps, hybrid maps, and many other features and you can email your routes/data right out of the phone. I've used it for MTBing for over a year. Great Product for $4.99.
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about that, but my last windsurfing session showed 615 feet of vert.

"You can't jump really high unless you go fast!" Dale Cook
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, I tried "Speed Talker" on my iPhone 3GS (just walking down the street), and was not impressed. There were delays of several seconds between updates, and what looks like losses of the GPS signal (with a clear view of the sky). The talking part worked only very intermittently. Looking at the feedback that other users have posted about "Speed Tracker" and other apps, problems seem to be somewhat common.

Considering that iPhones even had some reception problems with the phone signal if you held them "wrong", I'm not convinced that iPhones (or any other current smart phones) have better GPS reception just because the chips inside a a few years newer. Roo, maybe you can share which phone models and software you found to work well? Also, do you see the lag of several seconds between speed changes and announcements?
feuser

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
Out of curiosity, I tried "Speed Talker" on my iPhone 3GS (just walking down the street), and was not impressed. There were delays of several seconds between updates, and what looks like losses of the GPS signal (with a clear view of the sky). The talking part worked only very intermittently. Looking at the feedback that other users have posted about "Speed Tracker" and other apps, problems seem to be somewhat common.

Considering that iPhones even had some reception problems with the phone signal if you held them "wrong", I'm not convinced that iPhones (or any other current smart phones) have better GPS reception just because the chips inside a a few years newer. Roo, maybe you can share which phone models and software you found to work well? Also, do you see the lag of several seconds between speed changes and announcements?

The phone signal has nothing to do with GPS reception, although iOS Location Services is a "best-of" summary of GPS, aGPS (cell phone triangulation) and Wifi Positioning System.

Under clear skies, you will have pretty good accuracy, that is mostly determined by the data processing method and frequency of your GPS software.

SpeedTracker makes a nice interface and gives you a pretty picture (below). However, I found that SpeedTracker is collecting data samples only at approximately 1/sec, and its GPX output (xml file format) is lacking time stamps (only lat and long values are present):

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
                        <gpx version="1.1" creator="SpeedTracker" xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1">
<rte>
<rtept lat="40.618499" lon="-73.393758"/>
<rtept lat="40.618430" lon="-73.393491"/>
<rtept lat="40.618430" lon="-73.393491"/>
<rtept lat="40.618390" lon="-73.393464"/>
<rtept lat="40.618370" lon="-73.393455"/>
<rtept lat="40.618350" lon="-73.393447"/>
<rtept lat="40.619196" lon="-73.393688"/>
<rtept lat="40.619194" lon="-73.393683"/>
</rte>

MotionX puts time stamps into its data points which allows better data evaluation in apps like GPSActionReplay (and perhaps the elimination of such nonsense as my 46mph peak speed - that day i was on a 4.7 and wave board with 6 foot wind swell ...)

image.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  273.36 KB
 Viewed:  21619 Time(s)

image.png

photo.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  415.98 KB
 Viewed:  21619 Time(s)

photo.PNG

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: