myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tea with your bigotry?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More blatant distortion of the facts on Planned Parenthood on display. The overwhelming majority of the 3+ million clients do not go to PP for pregnancy services. They go for contraception, STD testing/ treatment and cancer testing.......no problem with those. To relate abortions performed to the entire client base is completely dishonest as they and their supporters are well aware. One can only assume that the deliberate obfuscation by PP and others is an acknowledgment that the untainted facts are very unappealing.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my dad's favorite sayings was "Liars, damned liars, and statisticians." I think you can figure out why I bring that up here.

Yesterday mrgybe defended Senator Kyl of Arizona who claimed that 90% of what Planned Parenthood does involves abortions. Mrgybe then stated: "Kyle is wrong, but not that wrong." Today, when it is pointed out that Planned Parenthood has about 3 million clients a year, and about 330,000 get abortions, "More blatant distortion of the facts on Planned Parenthood on display."

Let's look at the numbers. About 1/3 of all women in the United States get abortions during their lives. Abortion is legal, although there are restrictions on late term abortions and Federal funding of abortions. Here's exactly what PP posts on their site about abortion, and options: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/abortion-4260.asp

I don't know how many abortions PP gives in their clinics, or how many are chemical, or how far along most women are. So I'll accept mrgybe's number of 330,000. That's out of 1.3 million each year. A little less than 1/4 of abortions--but probably the only safe place to go if you want an abortion, you're poor, minority, and don't have health care.

I support Planned Parenthood exactly because I think becoming pregnant and facing the choice of whether to get an abortion is a bad choice. I think they reduce the rate of teen pregnancy and venereal disease, particularly for the poor. I don't support abortion as a lifestyle choice, but I also don't support having a non-involved man make that decision.

So now that mrgybe has crowed about the facts, it is clear that nearly 90% of what Planned Parenthood does is not about abortion and he supports. So yesterday Senator Kyl was not so wrong, but today he was exagerating by 9 times? What part of integrity were you going to teach me mrgybe? The part about telling the truth?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
Dan... I should have know better to think a lefty from Boston would not have a better perspective of what its like to be a southern man and be labeled a racist for action he denounces , and did not participate in.

I've always shaken my head at some of the stupid assumptions Yankees make about the South and southerners. Because we "talk slow" and say "nucular", we're dumb. Never mind that they "talk fast" and say "Cuber". He is highly unlikely to have the slightest clue what most southerners think and feel about their homeland, about its people, and about the modern differences between northerners and southerners as perceived by the latter. I am very glad, proud, and fortunate to have been born and raised there, and only its weather keeps me from wishing I still lived there. Throughout the decades I lived in the deep South, I visited "up north" ever year and ultimately moved there, and for 30+ years had a hard time regarding Yankees as possessive of comparable humanity. I never saw first hand as much stupid, uninformed, blind dislike/fear/hatred of other groups based on skin color, national origin, sexual preference, accent, religion, behavior, etc. anywhere in the South as I saw on EVERY exposure to northerners in number. I'll never forget some of the shocking revelations of bigotry and racism and preconceptions I encountered "up north" ... and that was between people who looked like siblings and differed only in that one had too many or not enough vowels in his last name.

Yankees can cast no stones not wrapped in hypocrisy.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's that other old saying?..........oh, yes......"Wriggling on the end of the line".
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr g.maybe you should go and read my link from the WSJ full page piece about PP, its quite eloquent and is fair...maybe it will ease the roll you are on .
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boggsy, I had read it.........and I have previously said that I don't have a problem with the non abortion services that PP provides........many have considerable merit. I have also said that I am philosophically opposed to abortion on demand.........that's a considerable part of what PP does but it's legal so they are free to do it. What I find distasteful is their clear attempts to disguise the extent of their abortion activities with deliberately misleading statistics.

They could easily solve the Federal funding issue by forming an entirely separate entity that only performs abortions and is privately funded. Everyone could see it for what it is and what it does and it would remove the need for smokescreens. If PP believes that service has real value they should have no problem with the transparency a separate entity would bring.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess its ok to be a bigot, as long as you are a moonbat, what happened to peace , love , and understanding ? hippie bitch.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/04/21/2011-04-21_iowa_professor_ellen_lewin_under_fire_for_vulgar_email_telling_college_republica.html
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hippie bitch? ....OK....

check this out.
http://vimeo.com/20622744

mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video, made by an Australian, how appropriate, a movie by a non-American , about people not interested in being fundamentally changed by a non-American.
Looks for the most part like people concerned about a pathetic leader who's objective is to spread the wealth , in the name of social justice. Sorry wind doggie if you find that so hard to believe, but it's really just that simple. Maybe if your bff had not wasted 18 months on his destructive personal agenda, we may have climb out of the mess we are in.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat-ty

So you believe we are in a seriouss mess that 1. Obama created or 2. Should have solved in two years in office?

Granted, deficit spending has been huge. But, we lost serious equity and jobs. What should he have done Mat-ty?

If you think this is a mess now, do some math on what it's gonna look like when medical costs eat up a projected 40% of GDP largely Medicare. I suppose that huge population of seniors will be Obama's fault too? This recent government spending spree will be the good old days.

All other government spending programs will pale in comparison to these costs. Costs that our gov (dems and repubs) has been ignoring for decades. Where was the Tea Party then?

I suppose we could prevent this economic nightmare by defunding NPR and Planned Parenthood. Any other ideas, Mat-ty?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24

Jump to: