myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
GoPro mounting options, TIPS/SUGGESTIONS??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drysuit2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tips everybody!
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my GoPro Helmet Hero last week and have some questions. One of those questions/searches brought me to this thread. I mounted a curved sticky pad to my Gath helmet after degreasing the area with alcohol. The adhesion result was unsurprisingly really good. I've been using 3M VHB for over 20 years and have seen less than a half a dozen failures but never used it with this application. Has anyone done this application and have it fail? I've been kicking around different tether ideas and figured some one here as probably thought of a better one already. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Here's a pic....

04022011003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.12 KB
 Viewed:  25918 Time(s)

04022011003.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two small holes + a zip tie comes to mind. It looks like one could be run across the mounting plate permanently without preventing camera insertion and removal.

Or add a screw or pop rivet on the unused end of the mounting plate.

At least a simple cord tether from the base of the camera housing to one of the helmet vent holes. The camera would quickly let you know it was adrift.

Mike \m/
mogunn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
Any ideas would be appreciated!

noshuzbluz,
Here are a couple of pics for a simple tether method. I used a short kite leader line for the loop example, but I think that a small diameter elastic line would be better for a helmet as it can be kept tight to the lid and not be an annoying slapping sound in the wind.
Anywhooo...run a small loop thru the hinge-pin access on the waterproof box as shown. Tie a figure eight not at the end. Use a length of line to loop thru your helmet vents and attach to the camera line with a larks head knot.
Simple and effective.
Strips of toilet paper in the housing prevent lens fogging.

HTH

tetherloop_gopro.jpg
 Description:
Here's a loop to attach to the camera tether. For a helmet I'd choose elastic line instead, FWIW.
 Filesize:  172.01 KB
 Viewed:  25903 Time(s)

tetherloop_gopro.jpg

tether_gopro.jpg
 Description:
This is the spot to connect to the waterproof housing.
 Filesize:  168.86 KB
 Viewed:  25903 Time(s)

tether_gopro.jpg

jfeehan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz, the camera should have come with a tether. did it?

did you get the surf hero package? i know that one comes with the tether, but maybe the other packages don't.

i would think it would be pretty easy to put that tether through the holes in your helmet. maybe you would need to lengthen it a bit...

i had one of those adhesives fail on a board, but i have to admit i probably didn't do a good enough job of securing it. i think that the adhesive might have been a bit cold when i tried to stick it on.

i had a tether, so i didn't loose the camera.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the adhesive sensitive to cold even if installed on a warm day, or only if installed cold?
jfeehan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's that 3m stuff - you've seen it, i'm sure...

a lot of household hooks and other things come with it - or at least a version of it..., 3m make many different versions, and this might be an "industrial" version.

it's pretty sticky, and i think if it's put on well, it will be ok in cold water.

if you want to attach a camera to the front of the board, there aren't a lot of options. the surfboard mount that comes with the camera has the same 3m sticky stuff, but has probably 10X the surface area of the small mounts, so it should work well.

another option would be to epoxy a mount to the board, or to actually install a mount into the body of the board. the camera comes with an adapter for some kind of surfboard fin mount, that i guess some people have installed on the nose of their surf board.
jfeehan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this new mount from go pro might be a better way to put the camera on a helmet...
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips everyone! I got the helmet hero and it didn't come with a tether. My first thought was the zip ties Mike. And yes I believe its sensitive to the temperature at application. Kinda odd for a double sided tape. Thanks Mo for pointing out that little contact point at the hinge. What I think I might do is use that point to connect a small loop about the size of a small rubberband only made of something strong like stainless steel cable making an easy connect point for some sort of quick connect with another line run through the vent holes of my helmet.
I might as well dive into the next issue with this thing. That would be playback on pc. What application is everyone using? Windows Media Player doesn't playback the A/V synced up. I don't understand why this seems to be such a challenge?? The GoPro users forum talks about alot of different applications and codecs blah blah blah. This is the age of Plug n Play! Why is this so different? The picture quality is freekin' amazing though!
Oh and I ordered the FlyMount. That should prove to a valuable accessory too! It's gunna be a fun summer. I'm even going to mount this thing on the the dogs lifejacket!

hangin ten.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  121.25 KB
 Viewed:  23407 Time(s)

hangin ten.jpg

jfeehan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's also this aluminum helmet mount, made by a guy in sweden

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aluminium-mount-GoPro-Go-Pro-/130390283671?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item1e5bddd597#shId
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: