myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cold weather sailing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vesterlh wrote:
Feuser,

I am quite sure what the freezing temperature is of Long Island Sound water, but temps were definitely below it, with a nice frosting on my 4.0 Naish All Terrain sail. Definitely was worth it though Got my 20 seconds of fame on WTNH news. Was interviewed last year for sailing in 15 degrees.

Lars

Any hints for keeping ice off the sail in sub freezing temps?........I find that dunking it in the water just defrosts it for 30 seconds or so....... and jibing becomes a bit of an adventure when you can't see where you're going! Also, the boom becomes very slick.......difficult to hang in high winds.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
vesterlh wrote:
Feuser,

I am quite sure what the freezing temperature is of Long Island Sound water, but temps were definitely below it, with a nice frosting on my 4.0 Naish All Terrain sail. Definitely was worth it though Got my 20 seconds of fame on WTNH news. Was interviewed last year for sailing in 15 degrees.

Lars

Any hints for keeping ice off the sail in sub freezing temps?........I find that dunking it in the water just defrosts it for 30 seconds or so....... and jibing becomes a bit of an adventure when you can't see where you're going! Also, the boom becomes very slick.......difficult to hang in high winds.

Why does this question seem wrong from the get-go???? Key word mrgybe....ICE! Rub a Dub n da HOT TUB!!

feuser

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
mrgybe wrote:
vesterlh wrote:
Feuser,

Lars

Why does this question seem wrong from the get-go???? Key word mrgybe....ICE! Rub a Dub n da HOT TUB!!

I am not sure how keen Mrgybe is on hot-tubbing with any of us - however I can offer a tip for keeping at it alongside the few other nutty winter sailors here: Fall often!

There is no way to keep your equipment from freezing up. The coldest days I have sailed were low to mid 20s and I could not do more than 2 tacks without losing my grip on the boom due to ice. So, if you have to dunk your sail anyway, go for something new - shortboard tacks, 360s, whatever.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm..........hot tubbing with a bunch of hairy windsurfers.........I'll take the ice thanks. Those of us who had to walk 20 miles to school, barefoot in the snow, can handle a little ice on the sail!!
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 360 as a de-icing move...it's fairly easy to prevent the head dunk if you blow it. My favorite ice related tip is to thaw the downhauls with car exhaust if it ices Up while derigging.
feuser wrote:
noshuzbluz wrote:
mrgybe wrote:
vesterlh wrote:
Feuser,

Lars

I am not sure how keen Mrgybe is on hot-tubbing with any of us - however I can offer a tip for keeping at it alongside the few other nutty winter sailors here: Fall often!

There is no way to keep your equipment from freezing up. The coldest days I have sailed were low to mid 20s and I could not do more than 2 tacks without losing my grip on the boom due to ice. So, if you have to dunk your sail anyway, go for something new - shortboard tacks, 360s, whatever.

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir, you've been picking your hot tub partiers wrong (at least from my perspective)!

Jibing a lot with a solid pop at the end of the jibe will de-ice your sail
(in a lovely shower of tiny ice shards), but the iced over grip thing,
I never could quite get the hang of, so now, I just go to Maui. ;*)

-Craig

mrgybe wrote:
Hmmmm..........hot tubbing with a bunch of hairy windsurfers.........I'll take the ice thanks. Those of us who had to walk 20 miles to school, barefoot in the snow, can handle a little ice on the sail!!
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feuser wrote:
noshuzbluz wrote:
mrgybe wrote:
vesterlh wrote:
Feuser,

Lars

That certainly wasn't an invite! It was a suggestion! Shocked

jpon2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
vesterlh wrote:
Feuser,

Lars

Bet it took a couple of days for "the boys" to drop back down into place! Shocked

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_haven_cty/man-windsurfs-on-coldest-day-of-season
DrWind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup that is the video...

Lars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: