myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do yourselves a favor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Do yourselves a favor Reply with quote

For decades, one of my all-time most fascinating movies had been "Patton". I've never been quite sure which left the greater impression on me in that movie, George S. Patton or George C. Scott. It has taken the movie industry 40 years to duplicate that dilemma equally powerfully for me.

I was blown away by the HBO movie "Temple Grandin" starring Claire Danes, and the only way for me to decide which of those two women is more impressive is to realize that no matter how impressive her acting was, it was a couple of years out of Danes' life, while Grandin has moved her barriers and done her work for a lifetime.

Do yourself a favor and watch "Temple Grandin"; it's on HBO often and is available on DVD. If you have any autistic people in your life, or just want to be bowled over by two amazing people, it's worth any effort it takes.

I just now looked at Grandin's website, and now see my opinions are not unique. Grandin has been included in the 2010 TIME 100, the magazine's annual list of the 100 most influential people in the world, and the movie won 7 Emmys. Helen Keller and Meryl Streep, move over.

That ... or just tune in "Dancing With the Stars" and light up another doobie.

Mike \m/
dperzinski

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Temple Grandin,” was a fantastic documentary, I wholly agree.

But why this stuff about either Temple Gardin and Patton or Dancing with the Stars? In Philosophy 101 we learned that that’s called a “false dilemma.” Either one or the other, no in between, no outside the realm you create. It’s a persuasive technique that is often used in propaganda.

My favorite movie is “Hotel Rwanda.” Here’s a guy who was on the wrong side butt did the right thing in the face of death? Or how about “Schindler’s List?”
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dperzinski wrote:
But why this stuff about either Temple Gardin and Patton or Dancing with the Stars?

My favorite movie is “Hotel Rwanda.” Here’s a guy who was on the wrong side butt did the right thing in the face of death? Or how about “Schindler’s List?”

My emphasis was on the juxtaposition of truly great acting (IMO) with a truly great story (IMO); on both counts it's purely subjective.

Cheadle and Neeson are excellent actors, and those were great stories, but a) who the heck ever heard of Temple Grandin, who the heck knows who Claire Danes is unless they watched "My So-Called Life", and how about the facial expressions and body language in that movie? That, to me, was at least Streep territory, far beyond anything we see from most actors.

I wasn't trying to argue that this movie was objectively superior, merely trying to alert folks who wouldn't otherwise see it, as I almost didn't. It sat on my DVR for months before I finally bothered. Temple Grandin?

Just tryin' to do folks a favor.
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry iso, but Patton was a jerk and the movie was lame...but then, I'm sure you find professional soldiers much to your liking. Its in the experiences of the Citizen Soldiers where the honest war stories live.
You'll find the real story of combat elsewhere...start with "With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa" by E.B.Sledge. Then go to "Band of Brothers" for the European theatre. Patton loved war and never risked anything...these guys fought it and risked all.

PS Merry Christmas!

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
SNIP but a) who the heck ever heard of Temple Grandin, who the heck knows who Claire Danes is unless they watched "My So-Called Life", SNIP

I was introduced to Temple Grandin two years ago while listening to NPR. (Egad, what a waste of government funds!) I suppose tens of millions of other listeners to Fresh Air might have learned their first things from Ms. Grandin then, too.

Claire Daines? My So Called Life aired 17 seasons ago! Some people have first "heard of" Clair Daines since then, don't you think? A kid only 7 years-old in 1994 would have been watching Terminator 3 -Rise of the Machines in 2003.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan--stop making me feel old! Claire Danes was not particularly a gifted actress at that time, and was not the foxiest young face on the show. That belonged to A. J. Langer, who played her best friend. Not to worry about our lust for pre-pubescent girls, A. J. was 20 at the time.

Since then Claire Danes has had quite a storied career and has definitely developed her acting chops. Sometimes it's about sex, not about Iso.

Many many good literary references to the actual nature of combat. Norman Mailer made his debut with the Naked and the Dead, and we will never forget Catch 22. Most are better as books than movies, and the Vietnam literature is particularly strong. Try "Going After Cacciato", "The Things They Carried", etc. Even the good wars were bad, and good people died unnecessarily because of the hubris in the chain of command. This point would be lost on Iso.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a young teenage daughter (now mommy) when My So Called Life was on. Excellent family viewing...I'm sure it still is. Sparked many conversations.
DaisySibyl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check it out. Thank you for the suggestion. I haven't seen Patton either, but I read good reviews about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: