myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
OH NO here we go again 11/27 Cape Cod Bay Forecast
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron.c

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: OH NO here we go again 11/27 Cape Cod Bay Forecast Reply with quote

A few reasons why I think tomorrow at the outer Cape’s Skaket Beach may be good for windsurfing and Kiting –

#1 Wind – Good but not outrageous and a direction that will provide a near parallel tack with the shore
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA - CAPE COD BAY
1226 PM EST FRI NOV 26 2010
.SAT...W WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS 2 TO
4 FT.
.SAT NIGHT...W WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT...

#2 – Weather
Sunny, with a high near 46. Cold but not crazy extreme. The only down side is I bet the glare will be intense for the southbound tacks.

#3 – Tide
Near perfect for noon timeish start while the sun is about as high in the sky as it’s gonna get - 11/27 03:20pm @ 10.8 H

#4 – Water
It goes hand-in-hand with the tide. My bet is that a start of 11:30am will require a little bit walk, with likely fin sanding but waist deep conditions for a full session.

#5 – Day of the week – Saturday, usually about as least committed as you can get.

If you want big waves and don’t mind the potential of swimming in effing cold water, wait an hour or two or look elsewhere.

RC
ron.c

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yikes!

cloudy and calm first thing
WaterKook

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking more ahead at big Wednesday welcome in December at Coast Guard Beach.Big South wind warm and wet. Laughing
ron.c

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PART 2 on Thanksgiving.

In spite of the wind coming up later than forecasted, I think a good time was had by all. 5 windsurfers and 4 kiters.

Please excuse me for outing Skaket first timers Peter and Nina. Both seemed to get the best of the day. I can't wait to have you come back on a true NWer.

It's great to see that this lame-old site was useful in getting the word out.

A sincere thanks for all who made the trip!

Ron C.
tuckermacgregor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call Ron - wind stayed up all afternoon for 6.0... and the waves were excellent too.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

Thanks so much for your post, it (and the wind at 11:00 am) made us change our plans - instead of Chapin, we went to Skaket for the first time, and absolutely loved it. Looking at Google Earth, Skaket seems to be a great place from WSW-W-NW-N. Sure was nice today on W. I put a couple of pictures up on my blog. How close to low tide can you sail in Skaket, and/or how far is the walk?

Peter
ron.c

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was pulling out of the lot near 3, Tucker was on a north bound run, a "fair" ways out, near parallel to shore as the wind was probably starting to get some north in it, and just plain hauling a$$!

RC

PS - as far as the tide. I've had several great days, including last weekend, starting as late as 3 hours past high tide. If you get a good session in, the walk back doesn't seem so bad.
ron.c

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have read your blog first Peter, a great summary of the conditions.

Last week when sailing in a wind of almost identical direction at low tide, I thought a trip all the way to North Eastham and back could have done in waist deep water.

Here's a portion ripped off from Peter's blog:

"The first surprise was that the drive took about the same time as the drive to Chapin (and just 15 min more than driving to Kalmus), even though Skaket is further out on the Cape. But most of the drive to Skaket is on Rte. 6, while the drive to Chapin includes a long, slow stretch on Rte. 6a and then through residential areas."

You confirmed my belief.

RC
ron.c

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Peter - can you share with us some of your speeds recorded on the GPS?

RC
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron wrote:
can you share with us some of your speeds recorded on the GPS

I did not get any really good speeds - I have not yet figured out how to go fast in swell & chop. My top speed was 43.2 kmh (26.8 mph). I was too lazy to rig down from the 7.0 when the wind picked up, and the sail was a bit too big for the 82 l board (specs say it takes sails to 6.2 well).

You can find more speeds from the session on the GPS Team Challenge site. Yesterday's session was good enough to lift our team, the Fogland Speedsurfers, from the last place Smile

If you or any other windsurfers from the Northeast is interested in joining the Fogland Speedsurfers team, that would be great. We could use a few more windsurfers who keep sailing through the winter. Pretty much everyone else on the team has stopped for the season, so it's usually just Nina and I posting. Nina's low weight is a bit of a handicap when it comes to speed. She also just learned high wind jibes earlier this year, and making them dry in swell while wearing cold weather gear will take a bit more practice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: