myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Got run down by harbor partol...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterman86

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Got run down by harbor partol... Reply with quote

I thought I would share this story (its a good one).

So I have had my new-to-me rig for 5 days. And we had good wind today in Hampton roads so I took it to an enclosed cove (Willoughby Bay, about 1 mile across). I was out there yesterday getting the hang of the smaller (130L) board, since I had only used ~200L rental boards in the past. Today I hauled butt across the cove and then tacked back at up wind until i got near a bridge (check this for the layout... http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=36.955928,-76.285801&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=13&sll=36.952635,-76.282196&sspn=0.079427,0.165997&ie=UTF8&ll=36.957711,-76.280651&spn=0.019856,0.041499&t=h&z=15 ) until I got close to the bridge, when the wind became more erratic and I could only stay sheeted in for about 30 seconds before being off balance and dropping the sail. I was still making forward progress (I was about at the half way point of the bridge) when two cop cars showed up... so I kept making forward progress 30 seconds to 1 min at a time and was 200m for the docks when the harbor patrol boat showed up. Now granted I was alone, but I was in a safe enclosed body of water, left my sailing plan with a friend on shore, was wearing a wetsuit and I have instructed multiple water sports (including white water kayaking) and been trained in swift water rescue in the past (I resigned from fire rescue 3 years ago) I WAS FINE and what I was doing was perfectly safe but I understand why they felt the need to check on me.

The problems started when the boat arrived. I was heading for the docks (I had maneuvered away from the bridge to get clean wind and moving at a steady but slow pace) and saw the boat headed for me so I dropped sail and sat dead in the water. When they were in yelling distance I told them that I hoped they weren’t there for me and that I was fine, I needed no help and I could get back to the docks by myself. They steered closer to me and lectured me on being "out there" by myself and pulled right alongside me doing a tight circle around me. I politely refused a ride, while having to push off the side of the boat as my leg was pinned between the boat and my board (which was held in place by the sail...if that makes since) when i was at the back of the boat one crewman yelled to watch out for the motor. I was about a foot from the 250hp outboards when I noticed that they were still churning water....the fucking boat was still in drive. I yelled to kill the motors but it was too late. I was clear of them but they had run over my sail and shredded the last 2 feet of sail before killing the props (I could feel the vibration in the mast while I was trying to keep it clear of the motor and was pulled a few feet before my sail broke away from the prop. So now I was dead in the water with a busted sail... so turns out I now needed a ride back.

So, I get on the boat and they start cracking jokes about how I should just duck tape the sail (mind you the ride is only ~1 min 30secs - yes we were that close) while I try to figure out what the hell they thought they were doing running into me. As soon as I get my shit on shore and secure my sail I turn around to see the boat already leaving and all the first response vehicles exiting the parking lot... they were gone before I even got paper and pen for the car to record names (all I got was the vehicles unit numbers).

So now I'm left with a busted sail (anyone have a 4.7 they want to sell cheap) and am getting the run around from Norfolk Fire Rescue/ Police. I wanted to share this with the rest of you so that you if anyone is in a similar situation, don't only declare that you are OK but demand that they keep their distance. I was in no distress, no danger, had no risk of exposure, made no signals for help, demanded that I be left alone and the fuckers still ran over my rig. This was only my second time windsurfing in Va Beach/ Norfolk (I the past I have rented gear in the Outer Banks 8 or nine times) so I'm no expert WSer but I grew up in the water and I as completely safe. I'm going after the city like a bulldog until I get my sail replaced, but I was wondering I anyone has had similar incidents.

Sorry it’s so long but I'm still so mad and wanted to get some feedback.

Thanks,
Jeff
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small claims court and the media are your friends, Jeff. If state law precludes small court claims, start writing letters (you've already written it; just trim it, add your demands such as a new sail, and mail it) to the agencies involved, to their public overseers (e.g., mayor, governor, federal agencies, as applicable), and to the news media. You have these guys by the badges in public view.

Mike \m/
WaterKook

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be pissed as well. They put you in a dangerous situation. You are lucky it was your sail and not your leg. WTF were they thinking having the boat in gear?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLvSaCbai74 Rolling Eyes

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/aug/11/coast-guard-crew-member-was-texting-before/ Confused

wavedawg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was a slow day and they were desperate to find someone that needed rescueing before they were laid off for the season??!!!!

A sailor was run over by a power boat 10 years ago or so at West Dennis Beach on the Cape. Sail shredded, leg CUT BY PROP Shocked As I remember, he was ok. Boat never saw him, and maybe didn't stop??
I think they found the boat in Hyannis.

Sounds like you may have some damages to be compensated for, like the trauma and mantal anguish you suffered at the hands of these "resuers" who dumped you on the beach and left.
Good Luck!
PeterSS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Story. Sorry to hear that. I saw the Police boat heckling windsurfers a few weeks ago about wearing life jackets. You absolutely should write letters to the PD, and send one or two to local papers...I suspect you have probably done so already as you posted this a month ago...Any results? I would be livid, sails arent cheap!
fox

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also get their documented account of the "rescue". If it is written up like they accomplished something please debunk it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: