myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARCHIVE: Where We Sailed Today, Thread Part I.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 280, 281, 282 ... 425, 426, 427  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: 3rd Avenue Reply with quote

3rd Avenue channel-

Freakin Awesome today!

jse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdreier wrote:
What is Tomales like this time of year? Besides cold and sharky, is it too weedy? Could be a huge blow today.

Tomales was weedy last time I went out. That was in September. Too weedy to enjoy without a weed fin. Today might have been good. I don't know when the weeds start receding. I don't think you need to worry about sharks there. Never seen one nor heard of one where we sail (Grassy Point). Today should have been good - killer ebb going. I stayed local and warm(er).

Steve
bob1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early Thanksgiving at 3rd . . . The Channel was all that today -- 4.2, 75L, some logo high ebb swell . . . but very, very cold wind . . . the water was way warmer than the air.

Only blemish:

Anybody know a sailor who owns a white subaru outback, possible SF resident , who was at 3rd today (Tue, 11/24)?

Leaving parking lot in dark, another sailor noticed the lone car had what appeared to be an empty sail and board bag, and some clothes. Called Foster City PD to track down owner . . . hope someone didn't go down outside without a radio . . . it was dark, big and way cold out there.

Hoping for the best . . . .
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob1 wrote:
Early Thanksgiving at 3rd . . . The Channel was all that today -- 4.2, 75L, some logo high ebb swell.

Channel was indeed fun on 3.7 and 75 quad from 1:30 to 3:30. But to clarify; logo high generally refers to the area between the 2nd and 3rd batton down from the top of the sail, or about 10'. I'd put the swell at about shoulder high on the bigger faces. Still lots of fun and able to ride multiple S turns straight down toward bridge. The 'Gorge like' elevator was working to get you back to the marker with an almost 2 knot ebb. I pulled out of the parking lot at around 4:00.

Any word on the lost sailor? Hope he is OK. 'Twas indeed cold.
bob1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify your clarification, the 'logo' on a modern 4.2m is nowhere near 10' (prolly 8.5-9') and there were indeed some logo+ high swells (breakers even) in the deep channel 1.5 hrs after you packed it in G. -- at sunset during max ebb to be exact . . . . .

As for the missing sailor, I got a call from FCPD late last night saying he made his way into coyote point and hoofed it back to his car. No other details other than his wife was real happy. As I said, there was a late ebb, which would account for the upwind paddle. That dude must have been spent, as it was windy and SUPER COLD.

Another object lesson for carrying a VHF radio when you sail 3rd -- esp in 30-knot winds during Nov cold front!
dperzinski

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out Tues at 3rd on a 4.1. It was a thing to behold. Lots of smiles at the end of the sesh. (until the discovery of a missing w/s). A lot times at 3rd on a lite day, I’ll go upwind to the North beach where the kiters go. There seems to be more wind there on a lite day. Tues. I ended up there unintentionally–just wasn’t paying enough intention. I think the wind was 10mph stronger there. It was a little bit of a struggle to get back downwind to the launch. But, if I had been on anything bigger, I don’t think I would have made it back to the launch, hopefully not Coyote, but still I’d be walking home.
Anyhow, something to keep in mind: stay out of that area on big day with a strong ebb.

“For God alone my soul waits in silence” King David
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight gloat post:
AL today 5.0 to 5.5 shoulder high sets, good angle from NW, sweet rights, cold air, but plenty of working room on the waves, no complaints.
Nuff said.
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Santa Cruz area Reply with quote

Gloat all you want. You are entitled. The river is a sweet spot, but the NorCal spots were pulling in solid logo with a few mast high bombs. Most were 5.2. I got a away with a 4.7. God, I love California!
faradroka1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Hangzhou, China Reply with quote

Hangzhou, china: slight breeze from the West pulling in tons of airborne coal dust. Will give Shanghai onsite tomorrow. Hope you bayArearians are catching storm fronts while i'm here. I'll tell you how Baja is for xmas!
cheers,
david
victor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read the us embassy in beijing had to create a new air quality level. Extremely Bad was not enough, they now have Crazy Bad
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 280, 281, 282 ... 425, 426, 427  Next
Page 281 of 427

Jump to: