myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Growing Windsurfing with Sailable, Surfable SUPs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obxaddict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Growing Windsurfing with Sailable, Surfable SUPs Reply with quote

I'm interested in opinions and experiences of people actively trying to grow the sport.

Crossover SUPs are an excellent means to attract new windsurfers and keep them progressing to the point of eventually getting gear in new disciplines. Here is why.

Everyone knows new gear is wonderful and extremely expensive compared to other sports. Unless it is really old even used stuff adds up quickly by the time you put together a kit and board. Most people I try to lead into the sport want to talk cost sometimes before even trying. Cost and transportation is a big turnoff and this especially effects younger folks which should be the target anyway. Take the simplicity of surfing- say you try it, love it and want to buy your first board. $50-$100 used and you're golden. I know nothing of kiting. Mountain biking- 1 decent bike and you use it anywhere any time. New SUPs are keeping stability while getting more compact. Paddling smaller gear is getting easier. If someone gets a SUP that isn't much more difficult to transport / carry than a longboard surfboard and that SUP can be sailed we are talking about a versatile water toy that is more similar to the one bike solution. Huge range of use and high return on investment. Use:

Flat water sailing
Flat water paddling
Flat water wake surfing
Ocean sailing
Ocean paddle surfing

They can have center fins or not but in any case sail more like longboards so there is no low wind limit. There is a high wind limit especially if you have only 1 larger sail. Also limits on wave conditions. The bottom line is this option has more range than a single windsurf board, more surf range than a single surf board and the function of both. Some examples of products that are approaching this are from RRD, Starboard, AHD and others. The cost is still too high to compete with surf boards at face value but I think the hours of use per dollar spent equation tilts toward the SUP.

So if this isn't nonsense is the message getting out about the SUP crossover potential to grow windsurfing? If it is nonsense why?
SlightlySalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just another HUGE board to carry around.
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll carry a HUGE board for huge fun.

I really think that we are in generation 1 and 2 of the SUPs, and that the boards will become smaller etc (like the ahd sealion)....maybe not too good for the long flat water paddle though

it IS all good, and i saw a bunch of trailers this year that would normally have a mistral equipe or something for farting around on, that now stock a SUP as the light wind session saver

my next will have an LED light array on the rails, a waterproof ganja box and maybe built in GPS speed/MP3 player.....

And i've had 5 kids jumping on and diving off of my 11' softop..

CarbonCrown

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlightlySalty wrote:

You are absolutely right, but...
I just started windsurfing about 2 months ago, and speaking from a beginners point of view. As a beginner we have to get over the fact that we have to get a huge board. I just picked up a Naish Kalua, and it is by all definitions a HUGE board. Granted that it may not be as long as these SUP/longboard combos it is still huge. Being that I have to have a big board, I wish that it did have the versatility of a long board/SUP combo. The only reasons that a SUP/longboard was out of the question when shopping for a board was the price, and availability in the used market.
obxaddict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonCrown wrote:
SlightlySalty wrote:

You are absolutely right, but...
I just started windsurfing about 2 months ago, and speaking from a beginners point of view. As a beginner we have to get over the fact that we have to get a huge board. I just picked up a Naish Kalua, and it is by all definitions a HUGE board. Granted that it may not be as long as these SUP/longboard combos it is still huge. Being that I have to have a big board, I wish that it did have the versatility of a long board/SUP combo. The only reasons that a SUP/longboard was out of the question when shopping for a board was the price, and availability in the used market.

Yes, I forgot ask for new windsurfer input as well!

Thanks for posting CarbonCrown and welcome to windsurfing. You may be able to try some flat water paddling on your board but likely there won't be much glide. But it gets you out the house.

The market for used SUPs is pretty thin currently. I think both because of new board prices and the darn things are just worth hanging on to.
jsampiero

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think sailable SUPS are great way to introduce new sailors to windsurfing. There are some that are just as functional as a beginner board, and the versatility offered for no-wind fun is fantastic. I've said it on the forum and in the magazine - but every second you spend on a SUP board makes you a better windsurfer - even just paddling. This counts double when you start venturing into the surf and learning to ride/read waves.

The market for used SUP boards that are beginner friendly is going to grow slowly, if at all. There's no reason to ever get rid of a board, and every reason to keep them around - it's such an approachable and easy sport, friends and family always want to try it. Everyone I know who gets into the sport keeps their first boards around because it continues to get used pretty regularly.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I think sailable SUPS are great way to introduce new sailors to windsurfing. There are some that are just as functional as a beginner board"

Yep I got a rrd LongRider and was going to sell my Bic Jungle but decided to keep it just for instructional board or an extra SUP for friends or family.

teerok

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast wrote:

my next will have an LED light array on the rails, a waterproof ganja box and maybe built in GPS speed/MP3 player.....

I would love to make the commercial for this product.
obxaddict

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are companies marketing the crossover SUPs as the elegant beginner dual sport solution they are? I guess if you stand up a beginner windsurf board next to a sleek wave board it blends into the background. If you show a pro schlogging that wave board in light air next to an avg joe wave sailing on a SUP fun factor makes both look pretty sexy as far as I can tell.

As for additional features. Is that LED array displaying the current wind speed and swell height in binary? If you don't have a fierce beer coaster built in you may as well leave it at the house.
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer just shlosses around.."been there, done that"

Much nicer= Goombay Smash on crushed ice in a Camelbak......that way if you are separated from your board, there still is hope.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: