myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I just got a new 3.7
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drysuit2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: I just got a new 3.7 Reply with quote

I just got a new 3.7 Ezzy Wave. I don't own a 370 mast. My smallest Skinny is a 400.

The sail is a bit twitchy on the 400. I do have an old Standard Diameter 430. Should I cut down the STD 430? or just live with the 400 skinny?

My worries are that shoving a standard size mast in the luff sleeve will mess up the sail, for when I do buy a 370 skinny.

I just don't have the cash for a new 370 skinny.

Thanks.

Frank
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

• Rig it full, with a deep pocket, by slacking off the outhaul a bit more than usual, to lessen the twitch. You'll know if it's too full because it will get sloppy. Tweak it by feel, not by a textbook and decimal points.

• Cutting down masts can put us into unreinforced spots at bottom and middle. How much we can cut depends on the make and model.

• Watch for discounts, swap meets, etc. There are good deals out there, and skinnies are tough enough that used ones are less risky than used SDMs.

• Luff sleeves are tough stuff. I don't think you're going to damage them with the wrong mast.

Mike \m/
dogalone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...sail is a bit twitchy..." smacks of too stiff of a mast

really can't feature how rigging it fuller is going to alleviate
that situation

it only MAYBE means more quality time on the water

just for the record what is your body weight? and skill level
upwind

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rig it on the 370. You'll be glad you did. Twitchy sails are lame and you definitely do not want to have rigged a sail on the wrong mast. If you need a 370 buy a used rdm from the classifieds section, they don't break.....until you are in serious waves. I've never seen one break in the Gorge.

Last edited by upwind on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:20 am; edited 2 times in total
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live with the 400 and try some tuing with the top & bottom extensions. My 4.0 has a 375 luff. I use a 370 mast with 8 cm extension on the bottom & 3cm on the top because the sail sets & feels better then with 5 cm at the bottom & 0 on top.

Coachg
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Std mast shall not "hurt" the sail at all. It will rig better on it as well. If you are sailing super powerful waves quite often then a smaller skinny may be the way to go. However, I've taken my 400 cm std's into some pretty gnarly stuff and gotten worked with no problems over the years. Of course, I don't get to sail gales that often here in FL of late....

Save your $$$ for something else.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same sail and I rig it on a 400 skinny. It works just fine if you rig it a bit higher on the mast, it's all about getting the center of the curve of the sail even with the center of the curve of the mast. I have it about 4" above the base cleat, as opposed to all the way down. It's not perfect but it's good enough for me not wanting to go buy another mast just for that. I even use my 400 with my 3.5, but that's as small as I go.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't cut the 430

the Ezzy will work ok if the SDM is the right mast curve, for his sails most of the mast companies will be fine, write and ask David

the 400RDM as said should be ok, not ideal, but at your weight better than a lightweight

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, bringing attention to the smallest stuff in one's quiver makes a great deal more sense than might appear at first blush. Most people sail on their smallest stuff pretty infrequently, but in conditions that can be the most fun and certainly the most challenging. Gear that is cobbled together makes those infrequent days more challenging and difficult than necessary. Why suffer on the great days only to save a few hundred bucks spread out over several years?

I come at this from years of racing and the realization that control is fast, and one cannot win races going sideways. While there is a limit, I believe being totally dialed on whatever gear represents the high wind limit is crucial to increasing performance and, most importantly, fun.

When mast/sail integration is just about as critical as any other tuning factor, it makes sense to invest for those conditions that will exacerbate any tuning flaws.
upwind

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly agree with Dan and echo that sentiment without having much racing in my background. :~>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: