myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Public Education
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Public Education Reply with quote

As soon as I read these three paragraphs I knew that I had to post it:

Quote:
Dana Goldstein | September 23, 2010
Here's what you see in Waiting for Superman, the new documentary that celebrates the charter school movement while blaming teachers unions for much of what ails American education: working- and middle-class parents desperate to get their charming, healthy, well-behaved children into successful public charter schools.

Here's what you don't see: the four out of five charters that are no better, on average, than traditional neighborhood public schools (and are sometimes much worse); charter school teachers, like those at the Green Dot schools in Los Angeles, who are unionized and like it that way; and noncharter neighborhood public schools, like PS 83 in East Harlem and the George Hall Elementary School in Mobile, Alabama, that are nationally recognized for successfully educating poor children.

You don't see teen moms, households without an adult English speaker or headed by a drug addict, or any of the millions of children who never have a chance to enter a charter school lottery (or get help with their homework or a nice breakfast) because adults simply aren't engaged in their education. These children, of course, are often the ones who are most difficult to educate, and the ones neighborhood public schools can't turn away.

For the full article see: http://www.thenation.com/article/154986/grading-waiting-superman?page=full

There are lots of rationalizations that the right has about not investing in children, from overt racism to their philosophy of cultural Darwinism. Or, put more simply, they think, in their TR world view, that all people are poor because they deserve to be poor. But at heart this is such an empty and sad world view.

These are my kids, and they astonish me and thrill me almost every day. There is far more hope for them than for selfish windsurfers that live in Richland and rationalize their long drive to the Gorge by telling themselves that global warming is just a myth.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear constantly about how education costs take a larger chunk of the GDP now, than they did twenty to thirty years ago and results are not as good yada yada.

However, has anyone seen an accurate accounting of where these cost increases occurred? There are so many variables such as increased benefit costs to employees, requirements for special programs, increased utility costs for schools etc.

It would be interesting to see if the actual costs spent on the "nuts and bolts" of the education of a typical "1970's student" have increased significantly.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So which is it Mac? Darwin or God.

With Darwin, no race can be equal because we all evolved differently. With God, we were all made in the image of God, so must be equal.

My grandparents were well educated and morally strong, having been educated in little red school houses in Kansas and Utah. (for pennies a day) Why do we need Billion dollar $chools?

Frankly, I'm sick of hearing your pius "racist" accusations. Flailing desperation at making demented points that we need government to do everything for us. Governments always fail. ALWAYS.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"With Darwin, no race can be equal because we all evolved differently. With God, we were all made in the image of God, so must be equal."

Let me guess, you learned this in church? Are you one of those Christians that think that Creation as professed in the bible should be taught as science in public schools?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Flailing desperation at making demented points that we need government to do everything for us. Governments always fail. ALWAYS.

True even ... especially? ... in the military, as our asinine Rules of Engagement roll downhill from a long list of administrations to keep killing our own soldiers and war zone civilians, sometimes ultimately losing some wars unnecessarily.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bard, you are an idiot who actually knows nothing about modern education. Schools today are much tougher than they were when we were growing up. Some will fail because they aren't smart enough, or don't work hard enough. I guess that is social darwinism, and ok with me.

Your statement that no race can be equal is repulsive, but not surprising from such a repulsive person. If you actually knew anything about evolution you would know that we are all evolved from Africa. I have really bright kids from all races, and they are our future. Kids from happy families do well in almost every school. Kids from poverty, or emotionally abusive families struggle--whatever their class or race.

If government always fails, how did most of this country get educated, how did the space program get to the moon, spawn the transistor, and subsequently the current electronic industry? I'm sure you think that the hot beds of modern economic activity surrounding public, ie. government universities, are strictly a coincidence. How do you get to the beach? On a private road? Do you rent your parking space at a private beach? What a fool.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac, is this you calling in? BTW I asked you which way, God or Darwin. Then you infer Racism? My family is multi-racial, so I find your racism accusations pathetic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg0pDPK56Ys&feature=related
mac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"no race can be equal because we all evolved differently."

Wrong about evolution, wrong about equality, wrong about billion dollar schools, but fundamentalist and invoking God. I imagine you say hate the sin, love the sinner, and you want schools to teach creationism. Words matter, use them more carefully.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
"With Darwin, no race can be equal because we all evolved differently. With God, we were all made in the image of God, so must be equal."

Let me guess, you learned this in church? Are you one of those Christians that think that Creation as professed in the bible should be taught as science in public schools?

No, but I have no doubt that you and Mac Did evolve from Apes.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
No, but I have no doubt that you and Mac Did evolve from Apes.

I think you mean "devolve". Most apes are not malicious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: