myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
You better believe in climate change, or BOOM!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars said

Quote:
What are you talking about? State senator Obama argued long and passionately FOR the death penalty, on the record, in the IL state senate. The crime? Surviving a late-term abortion
[/quote]

I was familiar with this at the time (primaries) and discussed it with a Chicago attorney who knew the law. Pretty complicated.

There is an interesting discussion on "Fact Check"regarding this.
mogunn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
...Queen of partial birth abortion, Kathleen Sebelius...

More inflammatory rhetoric from Mr. Fick.
Here's an excerpt from Wiki about the bill she vetoed:
Quote:
On April 21, 2008, Sebelius vetoed House Substitute for Senate Bill 389, titled the Comprehensive Abortion Reform Act by its sponsors. Proponents of the bill claimed the legislation would strengthen late-term abortion laws and prevent so-called "coerced abortions," particularly with respect to minors. The Kansas City Star reported that HS SB 389 would have required the State of Kansas to collect patient diagnostic information providing detailed medical justification for late-term abortions, and would have also permitted litigants to sue abortion providers if they thought that a relative of theirs was planning a late-term abortion in violation of Kansas law. Sebelius objected to the constitutionality, efficacy and morality of the proposed legislation. She wrote, "The United States Supreme Court decisions make clear that any law regulating abortion must contain exceptions for pregnancies which endanger the woman's life or health. However, SB 389 allows a variety of individuals to seek a court order preventing a woman from obtaining an abortion, even where it may be necessary to save her life. I am concerned that the bill is unconstitutional or even worse, endangers the lives of women." In addition, she expressed concern that the bill would "likely encourage extensive litigation" and that it "unnecessarily jeopardizes the privacy of Kansas women's confidential medical records."

I expect continued circle-speak from Mr. Fick on the issue. The bill was about far more than late term abortion. But that fact doesn't suit his impassioned argument.

mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyotewindsurf
Like Mac, you want to equate the actions of a few far right nutjobs, with conservatives as a whole.
I believe my comments on baby killing versus, death penalty, would reflect the beliefs of most liberals!!! not the fringe element.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
I have always found it ironic that most libs have no problem killing babies. But are against the death penalty.

Nice bomb. Baby, and fetus are different in the view of many. Im a liberal, dont believe in abortion, but dont believe it should be a political issue. matty, take a look at the world, how many other modern Western nations utilise the death penalty ?Its just an opinion, we dont have to agree.
mogunn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
Like Mac, you want to equate the actions of a few far right nutjobs, with conservatives as a whole.

Wrong. Read it again. I was merely pointing out the irony. I don't make blanket assumptions.

mat-ty wrote:
I believe my comments on baby killing versus, death penalty, would reflect the beliefs of most liberals!!! not the fringe element.

You're entitled to believe whatever fantasy you want, but it's only conjecture on your part.

mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyotewindsurf

This site will help backup my statement on , abortion and death penalty.
I was only pointing out something I have always found ironic!!!

http://www.studentnewsdaily.com/other/conservative-vs-liberal-beliefs/

Last edited by mat-ty on Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reference, Mat-ty. It's now official: I'm conservative. Of those 20 distinctions between L and R, I generally support 15 conservative positions, generally support one liberal position, am split in 4 categories, and apologize to no one for any of my positions. I presented hundreds of pages of rational discourse on my positions and the rationale for them before I realized 1) that is futile because those who agree with me don't need convincing and 2) the vocal element of the other side is generally incapable of rationale discourse across the political fence on any topic, as evidenced by the vitriol leveled at me even in the non-political threads and forums beginning years ago.

Last edited by isobars on Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might not believe it mat-ty, but the student news daily's take on things is highly skewed and biased, and that applies to either the liberal or conservative points of view.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha .Matty you a veddy funny guy. Look at the descriptions of the liberal viewpoints . GOVT must control all.....Blanket Amnesty....Is your name Scott Rasmussen?
Falling in line politically is pathetic. I really think people should strive to think on their own, rather than tote Talk Radio's talking points. The most apolitical politician in the land is Michael Bloomberg, and he'd make a good prez.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought there differences between left and right were spot on. Nothing is carved in stone. I am a conservative, but I am not religious, not crazy about guns, and not super opinionated about abortion. Although after watching ultra sounds of my two boys in moms tummy, I do lean right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: