myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Quad fin Waveboards Worth the Hype?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWE106

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW30: you hit the nail on the head! It's all about finding the board that suits ones style and needs and not necessarily going with the latest and greatest. Being honest, listening to yourself and knowing what makes you tick is far more important than simply jumping on next year's boards. Bottom line is having fun, and as much of it as possible. If, in this case, an ACID is the answer to that, go for it! Awesome!

But, that doesn't mean that the ACID is a better board than a QUAD; it's different, let's put it like that AND it's a board that gives you what you like, which again is what it is all about!

Also and therefore, don't t dismiss QUADs or any other new board design. Give them a try see if you like them. Wouldn't hurt, would it? QUADs actually might give even more what one would want out of a board!?
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take four fins put them next to each other. They are thicker.

Take four fin boxes, filler, cement how much weight is gained?

Fins work in concert with the board. 1,2,3,4........

I am still not convinced. I weight 220 # Keith and most of his team riders about half as much.

All pros have custom boards made and then get painted to look like the production model.

If you think for a second you are getting the same.........NO you are NOT.

Is Greene still shaping or is he now just doing heli parts?????
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregorvass wrote:
Take four fins put them next to each other. They are thicker. Take four fin boxes, filler, cement how much weight is gained? ...

Or one could think outside the box and actually ride one.

Back when I was testing next year's gear for dog food money, a friend who was a board mfr's quality control manager asked me how wide the board I was about to test was. He was flustered when I spread out my hands and said, "Oh, 'bout yeah wide". I had to explain that we didn't want to bias our appraisal by looking at a board's shape before testing it.

Mike \m/
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant!

If I had the opportunity to try one I would not be talking about it on this fucking forum.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goooood point. I presumed you coasties had access to anything just due to sheer numbers.

Mike \m/
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff definitely generated some opinions with this thread! While I may ride a very good single fin sailboard currently an Exocet U-Wave 88. I ride a quad surfboard now and in the past even had a twinzer shortboard. I love how quick to turn my Quad surfboard is it is almost telepathic it is so fast.
That is exactly why I am interested in a Quad. My Exocet if it has a flaw is it can be a bit slow redirecting when you need to get to a section now! Its strength is extremely fast onto a plane which I feel is the Quads weak point. I bet though that can be minmized with the right bottom/rocker shape.
My friend Tony D. is in Maui right now and he spoke with Keith Teboul and here is what Tony had to say:
"I have been up to Quatro and talked with Keith and Pascal quite a bit about the new shapes. The cool thing is these guys are some of the best sailors in the world and they're constantly changing and tweaking their craft with direct feedback on the changes to their boards. The fin placement and balance is really crucial on the quads and these guys are at the top of the game."
It sounds like quads are going to get better the longer I wait to buy one.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waterat Pat wrote:
My Exocet if it has a flaw is it can be a bit slow redirecting

Don't give up altogether on single fin boards just because some don't turn at will. That's a design parameter, not a single fin flaw.

Mike \m/
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with any design less than 2 years old, like quad windsurfing wave boards, is the constant R&D, the constant CHANGE in the rocker, where, widths, bottom shapes, placements, thickness flow, rail hardness adjustments, that go on while the design is refined.
Do you want to buy the lemon from last year? The one the guys CHANGE for the current year, and will change at least 3 times before next year?
Do you want to pay for their R&D by buying their lemons while they make the changes?
You want to single to turn, go to more upright fins, move them forwards, and BANK the board, not swivel them.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're talking about turning, let me ask this: I know what "turning off the back foot" means, because all my boards do (I twitch my back foot and the board turns). But what does "turning off the front foot" mean? Does it mean lifting your front foot in its strap and driving that knee forward to lift the windward rail?

Mike \m/
gregorvass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't tell you.
This is top secret.
Those who do know, rip . Does who don't do S-turn.

Ok....... use the inside of your inner aspect of the small toe.
Gently flex it, as you transfer weight between your testicles.
Now straighten your pinky and cought a little.......You got it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: