myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I like the new TI sensor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: I like the new TI sensor Reply with quote

It brought us good wind today Smile
r_g_armstrong

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Use "Treasure Island L6" in Wendy Reply with quote

Agreed, the wind was good yesterday. There were good waves around Point Blunt, until the fog rolled in bit after 4:30pm.

For those using the phone system Wendy, note that the new sensor is "Treasure Island L6", and one needs to make that change manually. For some reason the old "Treasure Island" is still on the menu, but Wendy will skip that station entirely.

Rod
paulbroder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: TI Sensor Reply with quote

The new sensor seems to be right on. Thanks
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind readings from the new sensor seem to be on par w/ the old one... which is a good thing.

TI was fantastic late yesterday around 5:30 when the swell really picked up near TI. Very nice smooth swell with some steep sections... bgreene was throwing backloops

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go forumites I would have had no idea we had the TI reading back.
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: location new Treasure Island sensor Reply with quote

Below is an image of the old Treasure Island sensor location versus the new sensor location right at the end of the jetty. The arrow labeled "possible new sensor site" is where the sensor is now located.

Stuart deserves credit for doing this great install. Plus I would like to thank all of you who sent me feedback about the suitability of this location.

The sensor should be much more accurate since it is away from the wind shadow of the buildings that plagued the old sensor. It may take a while to get use to not applying your local knowledge correction factors to this new sensor.

Please send us reports about the accuracy of the new sensor.

With the improved accuracy of the sensor and the late season reliability of Treasure Island winds. New people may be tempted to sail Treasure Island. Remember this is a potentially dangerous launch. In addition you have to know local etiquette regarding parking etc. So be sure to search the iwindsurf.com forums for Treasure Island posts and talk to local sailors about conditions and parking before considering this site.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com

mark6.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  527.2 KB
 Viewed:  15469 Time(s)

mark6.jpg

jse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, from the graph it looks like we get an update every 5 minutes? That's cool. I'll just have to control my curiosity while driving. Don't want to double my chance of distracted driving. Sensor seems to be accurate and precise. Thanks for the quick turnaround.

Steve
geohaye

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major kudos to Stu Hill and Mike Godsey for making this happen.

Also huge thanks to Chip Wasson of Ultra Nectar fame for having made his home available for the original TI location. Chip has since moved on to a better location, and so has the iW sensor!
bludyell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff. Wed night was surreal, with the best wind in the fog; once you broke through the 'fogset' on the Angel side was wierdly beautiful. Felt good to get back to the TI side & see the launch was still there though!

I'm thinking the SW trades at TI will register low at this location, as the air wraps around the North side of the island; maybe better out on the water?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: