myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Quad fin Waveboards Worth the Hype?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Quad fin Waveboards Worth the Hype? Reply with quote

Hey all I know quite a few of the wave sailors have switched to Quad fin boards. How do they work and are they really the answer in waves?
Are they better in small waves as opposed to mast high blown out bumpy spring monsters?
Let's hear the pros and cons. Cheers!
gregorvass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loose . Check
Slow. Check
Cool. Check

Grind. Less
Not my bag baby.

I still swear by G10 ultra flex single fin. JP

Cheers.
hamiltor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail the quatro 2010 quad 85 liter, primarily on Oregon Coast. For me it behaves more like a 72 liter board. Loose on the top turn, grippy on bottom turn. Sail up to a 5.6 comfortably and have had great sessions on a 4.2. as well. My other board is a 72 liter JP radical wave. I prefer it if wind is 4.7 or better AND waves are logo high or larger. Otherwise the quad provides a significantly wider range of conditions to rip in without compromising perfromance on the wave. before my quad I used my 83 Liter JP radical wave, (which I loved), but in larger waves or super powered up can bounce out in the bottom turn. Also lose some performane on the wave face(just not as loose). Do not recommend it in the gorge though as very little "V" in the bottom shape so pretty 'bouncy,slappy," in the voodoo chop. I have not sailed the 75L quad but imagine it to be very sweet in down the line conditions. I think the quads are dedicated wave machines...
chophop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the" it " that you are now referirng to the 85 quad or the 72 Radical Wave?

How do the quads do in slogging or in going upwind in marginal planing conditions?

Seems like you are saying quad is good wave machine but not good for crossover swell riding hi wind gorge/sf bay board, am I understanding this correctly? Rolling Eyes
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure it is if you want to believe in all the marketing hype, or are good enough to feel the difference. You are not! You don't ride several small wave quads in your quiver, and can't tell the difference between quads, singles, twins, tris, or multi fin boards.
No it's not, if you look closely at the designs. All are waterdowned versions, made to ride all around, like a single fin, for all around usage.
Idea of quad and twins is you don't spend much time engaging all the fins, as it's slow then, and you go down the line to release the 2 outer fins, to get extra projection out of turns while allowing short fins to go easily from rail to rail (banking ease).
As with all the current twins on the market, the quads is just a marketing ploy of a detuned design made for the masses.
If you have an eye for design, go to a surfboard shop and look at the differences between quad's bottom shape and outline compared to singles and twins. Huge differences, and if you can't see them, you might not really know why they're there.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, there's a series of videos with Nik Baker explaining the differences in the wave board lineup at Fanatic:

Single: http://vimeo.com/13657919
Twin: http://vimeo.com/13670006
Quad: http://vimeo.com/13670224

and some ideas from the shaper: http://vimeo.com/11404534

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
insh8bl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a 2010 Quatro Quad 85L all of the 2010 season here in the Bay Area. Love that board! And have had a 2011 Quatro Quad KT 83L for about two months now. Also, I spent a month on a 2011 Goya Quad demo. Love both of those boards as well. But they are true DTL wave boards and there are idiosyncrasies between them as I am sure there are between the quads by RRD, JP, and Starboard. I haven’t ridden a quad by any of those manufactures but some buds here demoed, love, and bought the Starboard Quads in the Gorge this summer.
My best advice is to demo one if you can and a warning; going back to a single fin will feel, well, like driving a Pinto after owning a Ferrari. I think the most powerful argument for Quads is to look at pictures of Pros wave ridding on them. Everyone is, even when they are sponsored by a company that isn’t making a production quad. I think that speaks volumes. Very Happy
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insh8bl wrote:
Had a 2010 Quatro Quad 85L all of the 2010 season here in the Bay Area. Love that board! And have had a 2011 Quatro Quad KT 83L for about two months now. Also, I spent a month on a 2011 Goya Quad demo. Love both of those boards as well. But they are true DTL wave boards and there are idiosyncrasies between them as I am sure there are between the quads by RRD, JP, and Starboard. I haven’t ridden a quad by any of those manufactures but some buds here demoed, love, and bought the Starboard Quads in the Gorge this summer.
My best advice is to demo one if you can and a warning; going back to a single fin will feel, well, like driving a Pinto after owning a Ferrari. I think the most powerful argument for Quads is to look at pictures of Pros wave ridding on them. Everyone is, even when they are sponsored by a company that isn’t making a production quad. I think that speaks volumes. Very Happy

How does the board do when you are heading out to the Bridge on a 4.0 day, in a big EBB?
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now been riding my Quatro Quad 75 since May of this year on both the Bay (third) and the coast. My comments can be found sprinkled throughout the iwindsurf boards about it. Here's what I can say after living with it for a while. On a 4.7, it is very very efficient. They don't ride too well overpowered and in fact feel better powered, or just under. They come alive on a rail and go upwind very well. They are like a 4WD: they just climb over white water when aiming for the lip. They let you get away with a lot. I have been way too late to the lip, thinking I was going to get destroyed, and the board just climbs right over the (now closed out) barrel and suddenly I'm on top of the wave - stoke! Very grippy and confident feeling when riding.

Bonus: sheds eel grass and cuts thru kelp.
Negative: 4x the knives under your board threatening to cut you in a nasty fall. The fins are much thinner and sharper than most singles.

They don't feel de-tuned to me and I've ridden plenty of custom quatros, albeit, single fins. They don't feel radically different than a single fin going straight or upwind. On a rail, they are more grippy, turny, and forgiving than a single fin. Backfoot, or frontfoot, they just work. Volume is very well distributed and they slog beautifully.

I would be very curious to run a number of different fins on them, including soft fins, which would be much safer and would likely provide a different response in the bottom turn.
hamiltor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reply to chop hop: Quad goes upwind as well or better than my single fin wave boards. Slogs better because you can use larger volume board without sacrificing smaller board performance. Bottom shape is much flatter overall with significant less "V" which makes it a rougher ride in chop. For a pure cross over board that i would enjoy at Crissy, Sherman, and Waddell I'd stick with a single fin wave board. If i was primarily sailing Waddell I'd definitely go with the quad. Lee D's comments notwithstanding, pretty easy to sense the difference in these boards. Whether that is purely a function of the quad fin set up or the bottom shape the quad fin set up allows is probably arguable. I spend almost all my time in the waves, and am very impressed and happy with my quad. Hope that helps and recommend a demo as well to see if it fits your sailing style.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: