myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
best car to carry gear?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another thing...my daughter and her new baby drive on twisty two lane blacktops. Hope you can hold kook van on the corners when she's coming the other way.
amarie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my pontiac vibe. It holds all gear inside and a passenger sitting behind you, or, by installing a roof rack and cargo box, as I have done, it can hold all gear on top and four passengers inside.

PS there is a poster somewhere on this forum who might offer to take you for a ride in his buick to see how that rides, if i remember correctly.
holliemac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Thule rack Reply with quote

I have a Thule rack I don't use anymore if you want one.
It has the cradles for the board and a hole for the mast.
It is adjustable for roof widths--I used it on my 99 Bonneville.
I actually trailer mine now. I like the attention.
No it's because I bought an Envoy and my board fits inside but there is no way I'm hefting it onto the roof--not after two rotater cuff repairs.
ok you guessed it--i'm not on a shorboard. anyway the rack is up for grabs.

johan9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geohey wrote:
For a new car: Jetta TDI Wagon. Excellent MPG (40+ hwy), no battteries to replace after 100K like prius, and lots of room for gear etc inside and on top.

Uh, please don't perpetuate the false rumor that the Prius battery fails that soon. There are many 200k Prius's with original battery. Now the old Honda Insight another story. Also, EPA for Jetta diesel is not 40 mpg. Prius is 50. Just the facts maam.
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johan9 wrote:
geohey wrote:
For a new car: Jetta TDI Wagon. Excellent MPG (40+ hwy), no battteries to replace after 100K like prius, and lots of room for gear etc inside and on top.

Uh, please don't perpetuate the false rumor that the Prius battery fails that soon. There are many 200k Prius's with original battery. Now the old Honda Insight another story. Also, EPA for Jetta diesel is not 40 mpg. Prius is 50. Just the facts maam.

Heard lots of anecdotes from Jetta diesel owners that the EPA figures are too low (heard of 45 mpg, even some 50 mpg), and also heard lots of anecdotes from Prius owners that they never get close to EPA mileage, actual results are much lower. No idea why that would be, just saying what I have heard.

Considering the full lifecycle environmental impact of manufacturing and disposal of the Prius battery, I am not convinced that it is a clear choice over the Jetta Diesel.
johan9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops. Just looked, EPA for Jetta diesel wagon is 30 city, 42 hwy. My 2010 prius can get 54 if driven under 65, in summer. If cooler weather or over 65 mph, it does drop to 45 mpg or so. Still, with two boards and a cargo box on top, still get 40, so not bad. Yakima landing pads permenant rack system is pretty handy. I've also heard of diesel drivers beating the EPA tests, so it's decent.
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dug this out...our 69 Datsun 510 wagon, circa 1984. On top is my HiFly 320, my sister's something or other and my Italian standard Windsurfer rip off...called a Tumiati I think. I believe this is on the way to Lake DeValle. I'm really not sure why all that crap didn't rip right off of the roof on the freeway. But it never did.

510 wagon.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.81 MB
 Viewed:  13698 Time(s)

510 wagon.jpg

johan9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cause you were only going 35 mph?
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh....yeah. nevermind
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, its easy to answer the question, their is NO best car.

I like your initial choice the Mazda, a lot depends on what your requirements are, WANTs and NEEDs. My Subaru WRX wagon, does everything the Mazda does and goes thru the mountain passes in Colorado, and is rather quick, in snow or dry. might give a little away in MPG, but makes up for that with ABS , AWD, anti slip, being extremely poised in snow and rain, back to needs .

some answers are funny , some you cant even buy anymore, some are not cars

do you want to carry a 80L board inside or or a 140L on the roof for extended periods would make all the difference

if you didn't need a be see car , the Honda Fit, if it fits the rest would be pretty nice, like the VWs but feel they require a little more maintance to keep up, unless you trade/ sell off ... 3/4 years

for you Toyota fans, be a COLD day in July before I consider one

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/

Last edited by U2U2U2 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: