myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
San Bruno fire....toxins into bay at Haskins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonORiordan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: San Bruno fire....toxins into bay at Haskins Reply with quote

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/09/15/3032826/san-bruno-fire-debris-brings-health.html

I believe SB creek flows into the bay at Haskins...see "empties into bay and marshlands" arrow in map at
http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_16089214?source=rss&nclick_check=1

and now see map of Tigers/Haskins at URL below:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&t=h&om=1&msid=114977606501292807250.00000112a0f58147bfe39&ll=37.644379,-122.384155&spn=0.011961,0.020084&z=16

Don't think I'd want to risk sailing there now esp if it rains this weekend...
DonORiordan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Any body else care to comment? Haskins safe or not now? Reply with quote

See prior post...warnings from cleanup crew for the San Bruno fire, including their attempts to avoid/minimize the nasty stuff getting into the San Bruno creek....and the maps which seem to indicate this creek flows into the bay, right at the Haskins's launch basically.... am I being paranoid, or does it make sense to skip this spot until say next year when hopefully some/most of the toxins have been flushed (and hopefully not deposited into the mud where they may remain forever).

Probably that mud (and most bay area mud) full of toxins already anyway, not that that has ever stopped us sailing.

Thoughts/comments?
carl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing You're worried about what's in the mud and you regularly sail PA?
Don't be drinking that muddy water Don!! Confused

It looks like they're most concerned with the ash dust at the burn site.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don--while that was a really big fire, fires happen all of the time all around the Bay. And illegal dumping happens all the time around the Bay and up the watersheds. So the fire departments work really hard to try to block drains and recover what they can. The difference here is the size and the concentration of contaminants in one watershed rather than generally spread.

The second thing to think about is the kind of contaminants. Partly burned hydrocarbons, called collectively PAH's, or poly cyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. At high enough concentrations these are acutely toxic, and at lower levels are carcinogenic. But we love the test of some of these compounds in barbecue. The risk is repeated exposure, over a number of years, and even then the cancer risk is relatively low. The big problems with the Bay are that this stuff comes from everywhere--car exhaust, truck exhaust (in particular), weathered tires, household fireplace fires, etc.

So I wouldn't worry about occasional contact. The real threat is to wildlife that has to eat marine food--the foodchain starts at the mud.
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be more concerned about always sailing either up wind or even more downwind of SFO, that place is a constant contributer of all kinds of crap with every takeoff and landing. The break dust is most flavorful, my favorite,,,,,, not.
It's constant!
The San Bruno fire is/was not a constant.

I'll sail around the GG, Rio Vista, or anywhere along the coast (my favorite), but I stopped sailing anywhere near SFO a good 15-20 years ago, for that reason mostly.
And I'll take sand over mud anyday.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you all might like to know what is going on with the clean-up to protect the Bay. Here are notes I got from the Executive OFficer of the Regional Board about clean-up efforts.
Quote:
... we have been part of the "second wave" of responders to the tragic San Bruno explosion and fire. Our primary concern at this stage is to help get debris collected and the site stabilized in a manner protective of water quality. Here are Keith Lichten's notes from his site inspection last Thursday - I will keep you posted on issues that arise out of our involvement:

"Habte Kifle of my staff and I inspected the San Bruno explosion site this afternoon and met with Dermot Casey of San Mateo County, who is coordinating water quality issues for the incident response.

The site is not large in size, but, like the Oakland Hills Fire, there has been significant destruction associated with the explosion and subsequent fire. Overall, we feel comfortable that the County and City are working to protect water quality. They have taken appropriate measures for now and should have time to remove debris/trash and implement necessary erosion control measures prior to the first rains of the season.

* Sanitary sewer line: A sanitary sewer line adjacent to the gas line was destroyed in the explosion. The destroyed portion has been repaired and appeared to be functioning all right for now and into the foreseeable future.

* Storm drain line and inlets: The County was in the process of protecting storm drain inlets with gravel bags and filter fabric. This should be completed as of today. The storm drain had also filled with sediment and it has been cleaned using water collected with a vactor truck. Dermot's understanding was the collected material was appropriately disposed of at the City's corporation yard.

* Fire hydrant(s): These lines have sediment in them and will be flushed, likely tomorrow. When this happens, the water will be collected in the storm sewer and removed with a vac truck. At least one hydrant appeared to have been rendered inoperable from the heat; presumably it will be replaced at some point.

* Erosion/sediment control:
- Significant debris remains on-site, both on the streets (e.g., the remains of cars/trucks, melted aluminum rims, etc.) and on the residential parcels. A meeting with affected homeowners is scheduled tomorrow morning; depending on the meeting's outcome, parcel cleanup could begin as early as next Wednesday.
- The AC streets in the vicinity of the blast are essentially now fine-grained gravel. Dermot will look into what they'll be doing to repair and replace the streets, cracked sidewalks, etc.
- There is a creek on-site in a steep-sided canyon adjacent to the explosion site. All of the vegetation at the top of the canyon was burned. Thus, the soils are now exposed dirt. They expect to remove the burned trees and then will apply erosion control to the slopes.

* Mobile cleaner contractors: There are several mobile cleaning contractors on site. They appear to be doing mobile cleaning with staff who either don't know or don't care about "only rain down the drain." Dermot spoke with one of the low-level staffers there who said she "didn't know anything." He will follow up further with the contractors.

For the moment we will continue to communicate with Dermot. In general, he seems to have things well in hand. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in Burlingame and we have a dumping problem on our block.

A couple of RV's park on the street and open their tanks right into the drains that flow straight to Coyote Point.

Constantly call the BPD to stop but a never ending battle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: