myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
No one called Coast Guard to report missing windsurfer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Georges

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My greatest and easiest progress comes from lying on my back -stroking,

Mike \m/[/quote]

and you say you can get back to shore doing this iso? who would have guessed.

Shocked

Last edited by Georges on Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devengadula wrote:
I thought about this again and I think that there is something very simple we can do and should do. I am sure it has been done by many and I will start doing it myself at times. I will go to Office Depot or a place like that and will look for a flexible, erasable sheet of some sort, and I think the bigger the better. I will write on it that I’ve gone windsurfing and to please look for me out there slugging or call the Coast Guard at 415 399-3417 if I am not back here by certain time. I will just adjust the date and times and place it on the outside of my truck’s front window, whenever I feel like it.

As a Bay Area law enforcement officer I can tell you this isn't a good idea if you like your car. What you are saying is "I'm gone for an extended period, feel free to break in and steal". Probably not a good thing. In some areas it would be good, but in the bay area and all the theives we have, probably not a good idea.....
devengadula

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this insight, John. I only have used windsurfing gear in my truck which would be easy to track down. And quite honestly, I will only do it on those days when I know I am making a silly decision, like a couple of months ago at Treasure Island I went out hoping there was more wind way out there. And again, such note and a possible follow up only gives you hope, which is huge but it does not change the fact that just like so many people here have said, you are there on your own. A few years ago I broke my sail and the ebb was taking me outside GG toward the sharky islands and a yacht was coming back in and people clearly saw my desperate signals. They just waved back and could not care less. Who knows maybe that couple had an argument or maybe they just don't like people in shape? You are there on your own, and if you need to...just drop it all and swim to shore. You will make $2,500 again, but only if you stay alive...
pirireis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Backstroke technique is a fantastic idea. Still though I think a PFD + Radio should be standard issue equipment for channel sailors.
Micom M72 + Waterproof pouch from West Marine is highly recommended. This combo has lasted 2 years with no issues.
maykov

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micom M72 looks solid to withstand the contact with some salty water. How do you carry it? Do you use a backpack?
madmanex

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre,
We're glad you made it back safe despite your mishap.

But when you described your ordeal in person to me, I suggested that it might be time to buy a marine radio (especially after your midnight swim session and coast guard rescue just ONE year ago). Your response was, "Where's the challenge in that?" If you want the challenge, fine. But if things go badly, don't whine like a baby.

You are a publicity seeking idiot, who is giving all windsurfers a bad name.
dsiskind2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started carrying the MiCom 72 in a West Marine dry pack. No problems with it yet. I cary it in a clip on harness style safety pack from Airwave which i would also recommend: http://www.airwavesf.com/WS_safety_packs.html.
coyoteandre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: no one called Coast Guard Reply with quote

madmanex wrote:
Andre,
We're glad you made it back safe despite your mishap.
But when you described your ordeal in person to me, I suggested that it might be time to buy a marine radio (especially after your midnight swim session and coast guard rescue just ONE year ago). Your response was, "Where's the challenge in that?" If you want the challenge, fine. But if things go badly, don't whine like a baby.
You are a publicity seeking idiot, who is giving all windsurfers a bad name.

I was going to ignore your post but I think it is better if I play your game because you are more nasty than others.
Midnight swim was 4 (four) years ago July 15, 2006 and has nothing to do with main message in my post. On the parking lot you didn't get my joke. "When I was sailing with radio and flares nothing ever happened."
I posted my story for YOUR benefit, to make YOU think, for YOU to be carefull. You could call me the Forest Gump of windsurfing, but for being nasty to me I will smoke you with pleasure whenever I find you on water. Aha..."whine like a baby, publicity seeking idiot, who is giving all windsurfers a bad name", wow...hmm...take it from me: house dog will never understand free roaming dog, on top of that: if you can't run with big dogs, stay on the porch. First, do round trip Coyote-Alameda seven times than talk to me.
Matt Pritchard who is now in town posted this about me:
"We sailed way out in the middle of the channel and it just kept on getting windier. I was pretty surprised to see this 68 year old dude named Andre come flying past me on his 1989 North Infinity sail complete with a 1991 Mike’s Lab board- he was handling the conditions like it was a walk in the park- we sailed around out in the Chop, got some big jumps and headed back to the beach. After what seemed like 5 miles to get back in, my back leg was burning as I fought to hang on- Andre didn’t seem affected as he told me all about the good ole days...... That was inspiration- Go ANDRE!!!"
You see, great man will give you a boost, small men will try to cut you down. Think about it why are you doing it.
You can only blame your own IQ for missing main points of my post.

sign_next_to_launch_ramp_address_1679_in_Foster_City.jpg
 Description:
Foster City landing
 Filesize:  51.13 KB
 Viewed:  16980 Time(s)

sign_next_to_launch_ramp_address_1679_in_Foster_City.jpg

signe_next_to_launch_ramp.jpg
 Description:
Foster City, board was handcuffed here
 Filesize:  57.25 KB
 Viewed:  16980 Time(s)

signe_next_to_launch_ramp.jpg

madmanex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Andre, I get you're joke. Smile

Thank you for doing all these things for my benefit. I appreciate your manly adventures across the bay (except for the times you didn't sail back). I appreciate that you prefer to launch late in the day when the wind is dying. You are my hero for doing it without benefit of radio or flares, truly impressive. I appreciate you testing the rescue capabilities of the coast guard, coyote point rangers, and foster city police. It's also to everyone's benefit that you had all your mishaps chronicled by the local newspapers so that all may learn from them.

Youda man!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The state park rangers were called out to rescue me one chilly spring day on a lake in NM. (Prevailing winds are offshore so peer rescue is very iffy.) After leaving their warm office to get in the chilly boat, cruising 10 miles up the lake, and locating me in several square miles of swell, their primary response was relief. "We're just SO glad to find you not only alive but dressed for the occasion, fully functional, and upbeat. We're usually looking for ... and finding ... bodies by the time we're called, especially this time of year with the water temp in the 50s".

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: