myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cabrillo Beach Enduro Results
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbknap

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also congratulations and welcome to Xavier---Xav please come to the beach more and show us how it's done.

http://ukwindsurfing.com/information/profiles/xavier_ferlet

--chris
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris:

Thanks so much for posting the incorrect & un-approved results! That benefits everyone so very much! Maybe next year you'd like to spend YOUR Sunday adding up scores?

Being inexperienced at computing race results, we didn't know that you only use time for the preliminary placing, and not in combined results. We're sorry about any confusion this may have caused, probably a lot less if Chris Knap hadn't decided to post flawed results for some reason.

The corrected, approved results are now up on the Enduro website, www.cabrillobeachenduro.com

Jrobb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitech wrote:
jRobb-- good point regarding the tie breaker. However, in your Heat B example, you have Sailor A having a faster time than Sailor B but finishing behind him. Kinda like the results of the Enduro. Are you sure you weren't scoring this?

I should have specified more. Each 3rd place finisher had 1 more lap completed around the course than the 4th place finisher...in this example and in the actual race. The timed lap was ONLY the last lap after the "Finish your current lap horn" had been blown( timed from horn blow to you crossing the finish line). No other laps were timed.

Heat 1 Sailor A had 5 laps and a last lap time of 1:20 ---3rd
Sailor B had 4 laps and last lap time of 2:50 -----4th

Heat 2 Sailor A had 4 laps and a last lap of :40 ----4th
Sailor B had 5 laps and a last lap of 1:30 ----3rd

J
cbknap

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
Chris:

Thanks so much for posting the incorrect & un-approved results! That benefits everyone so very much! Maybe next year you'd like to spend YOUR Sunday adding up scores?

Being inexperienced at computing race results, we didn't know that you only use time for the preliminary placing, and not in combined results. We're sorry about any confusion this may have caused, probably a lot less if Chris Knap hadn't decided to post flawed results for some reason.

The corrected, approved results are now up on the Enduro website, www.cabrillobeachenduro.com

I'm sensing a lot of anger....but perhaps it is misplaced.

I have remained absolutely respectful to everyone who worked on the Enduro and I have no intention of changing that attitude now, personal attacks or no. Thanks to all the volunteers, esp. Stephanie, Joseph, Spencer and Marty, who worked hard and made this event happen. I have already volunteered to join them next year. I have some constructive ideas.

Unfortunately, this year, for the 2nd time, prizes were awarded to people who did not qualify for and did not win them. That is embarassing for the faux winners and the organizers and demoralizing for the actual winners. Once prizes are given to the wrong people, how do you redirect them?

In my business, we consider sunshine "the great disinfectant."

I found the "official" results posted last night quite interesting, as they illuminated the errors in the race-night awards. Whoever decided to pull them off the Internet made two mistakes: You can not hide documents already published on the Internet. And honesty is the best policy.

Thanks again to all the organizers for all their work and honest effort.

See you at the beach!
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seemingly racing in "no wind" leads to a bit of anxiety. It must have been a spectacle of sorts from what I can tell. I hope you folks had a good time.
cbknap

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the race was a blast.

There were more than 60 racers from San Diego, the Central Coast and San Francisco and LA transplants from Argentina, Great Britain and South Africa.

Adrenalin is when you round the buoy and see six other sailors stacking in front of you.

Sorry you missed it.

Last edited by cbknap on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I hope you folks had a good time.

I had a great time and would do it again in the same wind strength, though being one of the heavy weights more wind is always appreciated.
jwajack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: More Wind Reply with quote

Next year we'll sacrifice another virgin to ensure more wind. Very Happy

Who is willing to volunteer? Shocked

(It's either that or converting iso's extra posts into some sort of wind generating machine -- if someone can engineer this solution, all will be appreciative.)

Jack (not Stephanie)
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Chris Knap? He's got to be a virgin!
hitech

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With respect for Chris posting the premature and unofficial results, it turns out that it is the only place where (at least the Masters and Open classes) can see the actual lap and time information from the race. The final posting, while correct enough for me, show only the final placement scoring. I think most of us like seeing the official lap and time scores, as flawed as they might be. How about the Enduro site posting, along with the final placements, the actual raw race results. If not, maybe Chris can post the other classes so they can see the light of day. The criticism is for the process and not the people.
Also, my thanks for all the volunteers for this fun day of SUP and windsurf racing. It is all we have in SoCal outside of a solid formula racing fleet and it is good to see the race was well supported. Formula boards racing with Slalom boards is the essence of the SoCal sailing scene and we deal with the winds we are dealt.
Adrenalin is rounding a bouy between two formula boards and surviving.

Last edited by hitech on Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: