myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
iWindsurf App for Android?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brumby05

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: iWindsurf App for Android? Reply with quote

I'm curious if there are plans to create an app for the android interface? My dad was trying to login to his account on his droid but was getting an error. Since there was an iphone one I was wondering if the site was going to develop one for android as well.
tyler4bu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely have an interest in this as well (you'd think most of us would be into the freedom that Android offers over the walled garden of iOS... I'd hope), although I've never had a problem accessing the full site and just viewing the winds that way. An app to speed up the process would be awesome though!
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

App, scmmapp; iW has been available in about one second with one button push on cell phones for years. It's been my Home Page since about 2004 or so, and is right there with one click on my Droid.
CLICK: One thousan ... It's blowing 17 at the Hatch, 9 at The Wall.
CLICK: The corridor pressure gradient is 0.07.
CLICK: The iW forecast is ...
CLICK: Temira's forecast is ...
CLICK: NOAA's zone forecasts are ...
CLICK: NOAA's digital hourly forecasts for the west cove at The Wall are ...
CLICK: Infrared or water vapor or visible satellite photos.
CLICK: Radar.
CLICK: Hatchcam, to check out the swell, parking availability, and the number of sailors on the water.
CLICK: oops ... Darcy changing clothes ... Same to you, Darcy.
CLICK: get the picture? And the only app I have on my Droid is Task Killer.

You just type in a URL by hand once, bookmark it, and it's there forevermore with one CLICK. You don't need no frigging apps for weather data.

Mike \m/
mogunn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think WindAlert is a great app! I use it every day -- several times a day Smile
One click access to all my favorite sites. Thanks WeatherFlow!

tyler4bu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
App, scmmapp; iW has been available in about one second with one button push on cell phones for years. It's been my Home Page since about 2004 or so, and is right there with one click on my Droid.

Same reason I laughed when someone turned the sail size calculator into an iPhone app, just load the original spreadsheet into Docs2Go and done
brumby05

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, my dad is having the problem. He said when he tried to log on he got an error so was unable to check the reports. I am going home in a week or so and will try again, hopefully we can figure something out.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he's using the WAP format. It's far quicker and easier to navigate than actually logging on to the website we're using right now. (NOAA also offers a cellphone format option for their products. It's at
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/pqr/nwscwiText.html , and most of its products, such as the zone forecasts and discussions, load within one or two seconds.)

Mike \m/
tyler4bu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it fails you can also always try a different browser, I find skyfire and dolphin to be quite reliable, here's a complete list of free downloadable browsers:

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/07/13/the-android-browser-super-guide/

but never have had a problem accessing iwindsurf on the stock browser anyway, and even the full site usually takes about three seconds to load over 3G (if even)
brumby05

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I hope he's using the WAP format. It's far quicker and easier to navigate than actually logging on to the website we're using right now. (NOAA also offers a cellphone format option for their products. It's at
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/pqr/nwscwiText.html , and most of its products, such as the zone forecasts and discussions, load within one or two seconds.)

Mike \m/

I will keep that in mind when I go back home next weekend. Thanks
grayson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I find the so-called "Wireless Web" version of iWindsurf (http://wap.iwindsurf.com) is easier/faster to navigate on my phone than the full iWindsurf webstie. Takes a few minutes initially to configure your Wireless Web home page to set your favorite sites etc, but then it makes it super easy to navigate from your phone. Plus there are no ads, and pages are wicked fast to load because it's totally stripped down to only the bits you need to see.

Just thought I'd pass this along for anyone who's using the fullblown web version of iWindsurf on their phone and not aware of this option.

Still, I'd very much like to see a dedicated Android app for iWindsurf, just in case anybody from WeatherFlow is listening. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: