myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Death at Doug's Beach
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jskhr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

I'm a close friend of Jon & Marilyn's and have known them since the early 80's when they ran Shred Threds t-shirt shop. I just want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart to all of you who have posted here and helped on Tuesday. Thank you for your efforts and for all your kind words. I'm comforted to know that he was surrounded by so many caring individuals.

Jon always had a big smile and kind heart. He would go out of his way to lend a hand any time he could. I had to be so careful what I said around him because if I mentioned I needed help with something, Jon would have it done or show up with the tool to do it so fast it would make your head spin. We used to joke that he was part whirling dervish or tasmanian devil.

He was a great example of a human being, and besides that, he could make an mean pear tart and the best whole grain bread you've ever eaten. He will be sorely missed, but will live in our hearts forever.
janelle
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Johnson
GoJac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have known Jon and Marilyn since we purchased Shred Threads from them on Labor Day Weekend 1994. Both are the most wonderful people we have ever met. They became friends easily. They welcomed us to Hood River, The Columbia Gorge and introcuced us to many of the worderful people and places we have grown to love here. Our hearts and prayers go out to Marilyn and other family and friends. Jon will be greatly missed, but never forgotten. Steve and TD.
sharon1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the great pleasure of knowing Jon and Mair since I 1st moved to the gorge 20 years ago. At that time they had started Shred Threads on the corner of Cascade and 2nd St. Together they have been a dazzling creative and fun loving team who has followed their hearts for the things that they love, be it sports or family. They always astounded me with their energy and ability to get so much done in what seemed like a short time.
They would have been married 39 years; together since almost childhood.
Both expert athletes in downhill skiing and windsurfing, Jon was also a perceptive coach at both sports and his tips always helped improve my game.
Jon was an incredibly talented artist who had no limits to the medium he was using. He could make a beautiful stained glass window as well as whip up a new bathroom, kitchen, porch, garden, and let's not forget to mention he was an expect chef and world class pasty maker. He will always be remembered for his awesome baked goods that he brought to the Hatchery to share with us hungry sailors. Jon was always pleasant, generous, helpful, deeply intelligent, soft hearted, a good listener and always someone I was happy to see. Above all the people I know, Jon was most involved in living a healthy lifestyle. He would have been the last person on my list that I would have thought would pass. My heart goes out to his family and especially to Mair who I love as dearly. Hugs from Sharon
hotstone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know John that well, but he is the kind of person the world needs more of. My deepest sympathy to Marilyn and family and all his wonderful friends.
Ms. Michael
getwet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Dougs Reply with quote

I did not know Jon but reading these stories is an inspiration. Windsurfing truly is a community-as shown here. Condolences to the family.
burritobob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon and Marilyn invited me into their lives when I first started to spend summers in the Gorge in the early 90's. When they ran the Inn at the Gorge, many days I would arrive in their kitchen in mid-morning to see what was up with the wind and the left-overs from breakfast. As has been stated in some posts, Jon was a great cook. The stories about where they had been and what they had done (when I could get Jon to talk about himself) were some of the best memories of my trips.

Marilyn, Kyle, and all others who knew and loved him, you are in my prayers. I, also, will miss him.

Bob Ousey
Bensalem, PA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: