myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Roll of Government?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exhibitpro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: The Roll of Government? Reply with quote

As we have well read members from both left and right and some who must be in the middle, I would be curious to hear what anyone thought the actual roll of government should be. A lack of name calling would be great also, just your opinion of what our state and national government should be.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The constitution:

http://www.midnightbeach.com/jon/US-Constitution.htm

Nothing more, nothing less.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty amusing since you have the wing nuts like Paul objecting to the provisions that establish that those born in the United States are citizens.
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all wish it were that easy.The tens of thousands of books of law and precedents could probably be cut in half but getting down to one page won't work.
Anything in the Constitution about them fixing the road in front of my house or keeping the kiters from peeing behind my van when the toilet is full?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
We all wish it were that easy.The tens of thousands of books of law and precedents could probably be cut in half but getting down to one page won't work.
Anything in the Constitution about them fixing the road in front of my house or keeping the kiters from peeing behind my van when the toilet is full?

The States were originally supposed to handle potholes, oil drilling, social welfare, criminal laws, gay marriage and sodomy. Now the Feds have weasled their way into everything, including potholes.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Bard, you must realize that the Feds having been helping states financially for longer than you've been alive. Think about what the Eisenhower Administration accomplished in the 50s with the Interstate highway system. And don't forget, one wouldn't want to forget the federal money spend on education statewide. Do you really think that the US wouldn't have achieved as much as it did in the 20th century without federal support for education?

Republicans seem to be out of the history loop about our republic. Maybe they're so distraught over the fact that Obama is our president, that they have to simply flip out and go off the top. Look at isobars, he's convinced that the sky is falling, as evidenced by his incessant whining and nonsense.

To really move ahead, our more conservative citizens need to be a bit more practical and down to earth about our realities today.
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roll of government? To maintain and protect the public commons.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potholes could be filled by private contractors, and electric fencing wiring would deter any errant kiter from peeing on the ground --- twice -- anywhere we deploy said hardware.

The Bard is correct. The Constitution specifically limits the federal government's rights. Ever notice that? It GIVES the federal government NO rights over the citizens at large other than taxation; its sole function is to PROTECT our inherent rights from government intrusion. It doesn't even give us a right to vote in a presidential election; that right is limited to the electoral college.

Mike \m/
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Potholes could be filled by private contractors, and electric fencing wiring would deter any errant kiter from peeing on the ground --- twice -- anywhere we deploy said hardware.

The Bard is correct. The Constitution specifically limits the federal government's rights. Ever notice that? It GIVES the federal government NO rights over the citizens at large other than taxation; its sole function is to PROTECT our inherent rights from government intrusion. It doesn't even give us a right to vote in a presidential election; that right is limited to the electoral college.

Mike \m/

What a waste of time, but I'll try.

The United States of America is a federation of 50 nation states that more or less agreed to unite for the greater good. The States gave up many rights when forming this perfect union, including the surrendering of judicial autonomy. From the creation of the federal courts came many rulings that further defined a concept called Federalism, including the idea that the US Supreme Court is the supreme law of the land. What it decides goes, no matter which jurisdiction is in question (for the most part).

What Mr. Fiction believes is a single purpose of the Constitution is nothing more than political blather. The Constitution does more than simply act as a shield from government intrusion. For example, the Treasury Department creates banking regulations, many of which are despised by conservative mouthpieces who simply view them as illegitimate expression of federal power. Nope.

The Constitution also creates the right of people to petition the federal government for protection from state government. If there ever was a more clear example of the government "stepping in" I can't find it.

I don't question Mike Fick's specialization in administering military contracts. In fact, I don't open my mouth on the subject despite knowing a thing or two about the procurement process.

Mike, why do you pontificate on a subject that you know so very little about? To repeat a popular saying, "One is entitled to one's own opinion, but not one's own facts."
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind Mike commenting on a wide range of subjects outside his specialty. It is just when it come to "I researched this completely and as usual I am completely right about this and speak as an unbiased top expert.... " that makes many of his posts not worth reading. I finally had enough when his" absolutely right " extended to telling us that Obama is part of lifelong Commie anti american conspiracy that has finally elected one of their traitors to the highest office in the land. That is straight out of the militant nutcase manifesto. If it is true then it is the most important development in American history. As Patriots we would have to lay down our sails and join the guys who are planning to kill men in uniform at funerals to save us from a gov taken over by the enemy.
Iso knows this is HS but quotes stuff without thinking who he is supporting and swears it is true and we are always wrong.
His analysis our response is that we are constantly making "unwarranted attacks on conservatives"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: