myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
lake Mead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricIvan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: lake Mead Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone has any experience sailing at Lake Mead and if so where are the best place to put in?

Last edited by EricIvan on Tue May 04, 2010 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
beallmd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual spot is Lake Mohave going east from Searchlight-lots of Kiters there, decent windsurfing this time of year. Some sailing at Mead, I'm told, but mostly hit or miss. Don't know more than that. I live in Reno but some of our folks go to Mohave.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met someone at the Delta last year that lives in Las Vegas and sails Lake Mead fairly often. From what I recollect, it's usually larger sails, but sometimes the wind can really freshen up.

I remember a camping and waterskiing trip there when I was probably 11 or 12 years old. The wind totally bedeviled my dad at a few times during the 2 week trip, and I remember heading in to very strong winds all the way back from the island we camped on. On that day back in the month of June, it would have been a great day of sailing.
tombrady3841

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older gentlemen at the Delta, Ralph is from Las Vegas and learned at Lake Mead.
He liked it! I think he told me he started windsurfing at 64. What a good motor.
I don't know where he launched from.
But he always would come to Bay Area and sail Candlestick and the Delta, living in his truck until one year he said " I broke down and bought a camper". I haven't seen him for 2 years, anyone know how he's doing?
T
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name of the guy I met at the Delta was Jarek. In addition to sailing at Lake Mead, he also sails at Lake Mojave too.
metwo

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to mojave, its the place to sail in that area. Lake mead is gusty and not so hot, but thats just me. I drive 500 miles many times a year to sail at mojave.
ronm41

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day Lake Mead was a great place to sail and dished up good wind especially in the spring and Fall. However, the lake level has dropped a bunch and left the beaches silty. So, when the wind starts to pickup the silt starts to pick as well and creates dust storms even with minimual winds. Drive the extra hour and go to Mojave, either Six mile cove or Kathern's Landing. Mojave has ultra clean water and great chances of wind. Wink
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 Mile on a South wind, Kathrine's Landing (actually Cabin Site Cove)
on a North at Mohave. If Mead is your goal, try Stuarts Point on the
Northwest side, you might get lucky on a frontal passage. Mohave
definitely a better call.

-Craig

ronm41 wrote:
Back in the day Lake Mead was a great place to sail and dished up good wind especially in the spring and Fall. However, the lake level has dropped a bunch and left the beaches silty. So, when the wind starts to pickup the silt starts to pick as well and creates dust storms even with minimual winds. Drive the extra hour and go to Mojave, either Six mile cove or Kathern's Landing. Mojave has ultra clean water and great chances of wind. Wink
rlshirey

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Lake Mojave is good in fall and winter Reply with quote

I sail Lake Mojave November thru February when the wind in Southern California is poor. The wind is generally from the North and will be 18 to 22 mph. Days when there are Santa Ana's in Los Angeles the wind at Mojave will be 25 to 35. I am 190 lbs and I will be on sails from 5.0 to 3.5. The closer you get to December the water temp will be in the low 50s but the air is generally in the low 70s.

The Cabin Sites launch works well for a North wind. South winds tend to be turbulent due to the ridges to the South. www.weather.gov leads you to good weather/wind forecasts. Click on southern tip of Nevada then on Bullhead City on the map. Enlarge the map and click on the lake and you get the 7 day forecast for the area that includes detail wind information for the next 2 days. Toward the bottom of the web page are two features I find useful, Graphical Forecast and 3 Day History. The Graphical Forecast gives you wind projections for 7 days, although they are not very reliable after 3 days. The 3 Day History gives you hourly wind readings at the Bullhead City Airport. These readings are generally 1 to 3 mph lower than what is on the lake.

Directions to Lake Mojave North wind launch:

1. Drive to Laughlin Nevada.
2. You will probably be on highway 163 heading east. Continue on it until you cross the Colorado River and come to a traffic signal. Turn left on Highway 68.
3. Continue on H-68 for about 2 miles and turn left at the Davis Dam/Katherine Landing turn off.
4. About 1 mile, take the first right turn toward Katherine Landing (there is a sign).
5. Drive until you come to the ranger station and pay fee.
6. Take the first paved right heading to Cabin Sites.
7. Go to the end of the road, about 2 miles.
8. At the road end loop there is a dirt road that leads to a boat launch (rocky) and two pit toilets.
9. You launch from the boat launch, which is mainly cobble stone rocks. I bring a mat on which to rest my gear to avoid bruising the board.

image_map.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.65 KB
 Viewed:  20779 Time(s)

image_map.gif

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: