myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Newbie Equipment Question
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moonie5961

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Newbie Equipment Question Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I came across this set up on Craigslist, I am really eager to get into the sport and this looks like it may be a good beginner rig. I'd love to hear opinions, do you think that this is a good deal? I know it's not anything pro, but maybe it'd be good for learning the basics. I'm a student in college and don't have much of a disposable income. Opinions welcome!

I don't have any information about this set up other than what's shown on the ad, I am first in line to go look at it tomorrow. Is there anything that I should look for in terms of deal breakers? I am pretty familiar with inspecting sails from sailboats, never on a windsurfer though.

Thanks, this is an awesome forum!

Edit: By the way, this is probably crucial info. I'm 6'2, 190 lbs. To be used in an inland lake.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/boa/1721283762.html
coachg

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise against buying that kit at that price. That kind of equipment can be gotten for much less, even free. Also, as a beginner you have no need for two longboards.

Have you had a lesson? Better off spending $100 on a lesson and the other $100 on an old board and sail.

Coachg
moonie5961

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coachg,
Thank you for the advice!

Actually, I am not opposed to having two separate rigs, that way I could take a few friends along to give it a try as well.

I am pretty sure that I will be able to talk the guy down on price, I am not sure that I will be willing to buy above $150 or so. I would love to find something like this for free, but I must be looking in all of the wrong places; I didn't know that such an animal exists! Where would you recommend looking for a free set up?

Assuming for the sake of learning that this were to be given away for free, would you say that this type of set up would be conducive for a learner?

As far as lessons go, a smarter man would surely that route! Unfortunately, I'm more of a "forest-gump my way through it" kind of guy. I taught myself to kite surf and sail in the same manner, surely this too is attainable.

Thanks again for the reply Coachg, I look forward to hearing more thoughts!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this would be difficult to learn on.

you would struggle to make any progress.
in short its old and very outdated.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
coachg

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonie5961,
That stuff gets dropped off at the CSUS Aquatic Center where I teach all the time. A buddy of mine picked up a similar set up while driving home in Elk Grove. It was in the front yard of a house with a sign "Free". People just want to get rid of that early to mid 80's gear because it is taking up space. If you must buy it, offer maybe $50.

Coachg
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coach, Where is csus? When do you give lessons?

When I come up to visit my son would love to take a lesson. (And you'll then want to recruit him to play football instead Smile )
tyler4bu

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently tried learning on stuff that was less outdated than that, but still outdated. I've had to replace EVERY part of the rig, stuff like that is worthless nowadays. You'll quickly get bored. By a wide used board that will plane and allow you to actually progress on.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonie5961 wrote:
As far as lessons go, a smarter man would surely that route! Unfortunately, I'm more of a "forest-gump my way through it" kind of guy. I taught myself to kite surf and sail in the same manner, surely this too is attainable.

Recreational kite surfing and sailing are far simpler sports than recreational WSing, but if you enjoy wasting months to years of good WSing time beating your head against a wall, be our guest. Just learning to plane through jibes on these things took many good athletes a decade before good lessons became available ... and people began taking them.

Mike \m/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonie5961 wrote:

Not only will you waste a lot of time teaching yourself, but perhaps worse, you'll develop tecnniques that "work" (ie you are windsurfing) but that actually hinder you from learning advanced techniques. Unlike so many other things, there's little if any upside to teaching yourself the windsurfing basics, and plenty of downside.

At the very least, take a few lessons at the outset, and pick up a beginner level Peter Hart instructional tape, just so you start out with some basic concepts.

swchandler

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...I'm more of a "forest-gump my way through it" kind of guy."

While the seller on Craig's List appears to have removed the listing, so I was unable to see it, I would like to comment about the issue of taking lessons. Although I have no real negatives to highlight about taking lessons, I have to reasonably counter the advice you're getting about learning to windsurf on your own.

In learning the sport, I was one of those that taught myself to windsurf on longboards back in the mid 80s. No doubt, learning to windsurf on your own requires a certain degree of tenacity, commitment and determination, it's really not that difficult to do, even on older equipment. A lot depends how fast you pick up the basics and progress. The fact that you already know how to sail will be an unquestionable asset (I didn't know how to sail, but I had been a long time surfer and was familiar with the ocean and shoreline).

I have to say that you can save a chunk of pocketbook by passing on the lessons, especially if there's some expenditure involved in traveling and lodging associated with taking them. I would recommend taking a period of time, like a few months, to see how well you pick up the sport. If you are totally committed to being a windsurfer, and it's not just a passing fancy, you have an excellent chance of success. If it ultimately turns out that the difficulty of learning becomes too much of a problem, you can always elect to seek lessons to help break through your barriers.

Whatever path you take, I would recommend connecting up with some of the local windsurfers in your area. Obtaining some assistance on rigging and proper tuning of the kit will go a long way in making your learning experience a productive effort. Most windsurfers are ready and willing to help out, and in the long run you learn a great deal about the conditions at the spots you want to sail. Unless lessons are offered at your local venues, it's very unlikely that lessons will teach you much about your local scene and the practical dos and don'ts that might apply.

Best of luck in learning the sport. If you can get past the basic rudimentary beginner stages, you'll be totally addicted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: