myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
60?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEsailor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Brucie says he turned 60 I dont think he was referring to his age. I think he was telling us that 60 is the number of alias that he has divided himself into for his forum posting purposes.

I would venture to guess that his age is actually greater than his number of aliases.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble with getting old yet wishing to remain credible as a windsurfer is that you have to be more inwardly driven. If you ease off, you lose fitness, which in turn saps the will to keep your standard up. Performance then falls off rapidly. I've seen it happen to friends.

I get the impression he has fallen into that trap. We all suffer from bad backs, pulled muscles etc etc, but you can work around those things, and recover. I have a fairly chronic lower back problem but I've learnt to manage it over the years, (have to wear seat harness, not waist, even in surf), and know it only takes a few days rest to recover.

If older people once give in, they don't come back!
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
I have a fairly chronic lower back problem but I've learnt to manage it over the years, (have to wear seat harness, not waist, even in surf)

Forgive me if you know all this but..........abdominal strengthening exercises, pelvic tilts, torso rotations and stretching (particularly hamstring stretches) may help your lower back. As you say, you have to be relentless as the years pass by. Strengthening and stretching a couple of times every day may help to at least slow the passage of time.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mrgybe. Exercise is a routine for me.

What happens is that a couple of times a year my lower back suddenly 'goes'. It's as though a steel girdle has dropped down, and I'm crippled. It just happens, and for no obvious cause. (Usually following a few days of hectic activity.)

When it occurs there are a couple of days of agony (can't get up, can't walk properly, can't put my pants on etc etc) till it progressively recovers, By the third day I can ride my mountain bike quite hard, but not windsurf, but by ten days it will be more or less back to normal. Once windsurfing again, it may never have happened for all the difference it makes.

I think windsurfing helps in that when you're twisting bending you are pulling with your arms. It takes the weight of the spine.

I'm sure others face the same problem and work their way through it.As you say, you MUST be relentless and not take it easy. (Doctor agrees.) The alternative is unthinkable. If it's windy the day they screw me into my coffin, I'll let out one hell of a wail!
braden

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a somewhat similar, though less severe, back problem. After my hip replacement, I had a good physical therapist who had me do a back exercise that helps a lot. (Forgive me if you already know this).
Lie on your back, hands behind head, elbows and shoulders flat. Knees up, knees and feet together: swivel the knees from side to side as the pain permits.
When the back is only slightly out of sorts, windsurfing (with a seat harness) actually helps!
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Braden. I find A few days on my mountain bike also helps speed recovery. (Though you suffer a little after resting again.)

All back problems are different but provided there is no structural disc problem, medics seem to agree that we have to fight the natural inclination of the body to restrict movement in weakened areas, with the correct exercises. (Not forced to extremes, as you say.)

For that reason I never take pain killers. The twinges are the early warning system. (e.g. In light wind water starting while hunched up holding the bottom of the sail and the lower mast, the twinge that comes with the pelvic thrust and subsequent crouch, is my warning to 'watch it mate!'

It would be nice to hear of other peoples problems, and solutions. I'm sure we're not alone!
JRuffus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did this thread go from talking about mental f-king conditions that only happen a few times a year (if that).....to a geriatric discussion more suited in AARP magazine? Rolling Eyes
JFred

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody F-king cares biatch!
ukkachizz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOLVERINE! Nice post from the beast up North! First cross-dressing, now cross-posting!!! You are one sick Wolverine Bastard!
So, when is our next trip to the Gorge? Or Hatteras?

Mustang
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sympathize with your frustration JRuffus, but you only have yourself to blame.

When your regular forum troll hijacked your thread (Quote - Funny, I turned 60 today) you replied by comparing all 70+ year olds to dried up and crusty old turds. What did you expect to happen? Why didn't you just ignore him?

To return to your subject, I respectfully suggest your problem (only happens a few times a year, if that) is where you live. There are many places where severe gales are the norm.

For example, we have the Outer Hebrides which are battered all Winter long by severe Atlantic Depressions, and huge surf. (Doesn't stop at a mere 60 though!) You may find conversation with the locals a little limited. They walk on four legs, munch grass all day long, and only occasionally go Baaaaa!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: