myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tangent Dynamics Reaper or True Ames SB weed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Tangent Dynamics Reaper or True Ames SB weed Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm considering getting a Tangent Dynamics "Reaper" weedfin or True Ames Santa Barbara Weed to be paired with an iSonic 133 and Mauisails TR5 9,2. I've tried traditional 45 degrees rake weedfins but found them to perform not that well with big boards and rigs as these fins end up trailing to far behind the board.

I've understood that performance of the Reaper or SB Weed is better than a traditional 45 degree weeders. For those of you who have tried the Reaper or SB Weed:

- Would you recommend the Reaper or SB Weed for light to medium weedy waters? How well do they sheed weeds compared to 45 degree fins?

- What size Reaper would you recommend for iSonic 133 and 9,0 racesail if focus is on early planning and upwind performance, the 42 or the 46?

thanks for your input !

Andy
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reaper is an excellent fin but doesn't shed all weeds. The forward edge is slightly concave and can capture the thick strands of Deadman's fingers. However, it sails like a fully upright. As I remember, I use a 42 with a similar set-up and love it. Right now the equipment lies on Cape Cod while I'm in Florida.
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
The reaper is an excellent fin but doesn't shed all weeds. The forward edge is slightly concave and can capture the thick strands of Deadman's fingers. However, it sails like a fully upright. As I remember, I use a 42 with a similar set-up and love it. Right now the equipment lies on Cape Cod while I'm in Florida.

Happy New Year, Joe! Hope everything went well for you and Mom on New Year's Eve. Fireworks down in Florida? Did you play with a few sparklers? Smile
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 42 would work, and might have a little better top speed, but the 46 would probably give you more of the early planing power you're looking for. I think the iSonic 133 is wide-tailed enough to handle it.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is hodad.andy's reply to the same question, which I posed earlier regarding my X-cite Ride 105 and a 6.0 (along with my subsequent experience):

"I've got a lot of experience with the Tangent Dynamics Reapers, and can say with certainty that they feel more like pointers than just about any other weed fin out there. They're great for early planing and upwind ability."

True. Lots of power but, at the same time, much looser (than my FS) turning on the swell.

"If you're light on your feet, the 29 would work well. Otherwise, the 32 will have just a touch more punch than your 33 FS."

I got the 32 because I wanted power and early planing over speed. Definitely a bit more powerful than my 33 FS.

"The True Ames will probably be just a touch faster when lit up, but not have as good upwind ability or early planing."

This sold me, along with that steep leading edge right in front of the fin box. My main concern was those 6' reeds that float right on the surface. This fin goes right over them or, in some cases, cuts them in half. (Hence the name Weed Reaper?)

I do have to say that I have had other True Ames fins, and the Reaper doesn't match them in finish or quality of workmanship. I like the idea of buying a product made right here in California, but I just wasn't sure about the SB handling those reeds.
NEsailor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Brucie, Thanks for the great information from your extensive experience. Also thanks for adding the personal information and letting us all know once again that you are in Florida. The more you tell us that the more you will probably impress us that you live there and on 19 Glory lane, East Falmouth. With 2 houses you are just sooooo cool.

A few questions if you would.

It the reaper leading edge slightly concave due to over sanding and therefore excessive wear?

Also you said it sails like it is fully upright. I would expect that with the vigor and the powerful strokes that you sand, it would be fully upright so that makes sense.

Also does your love for the 42 come from the fact that it sands out so nicely?

Please let us know.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've purchased several TD Reapers, for sails 7.2--9.5 I've used the 46 on my GT85 ,carries lots of speed and points really well.
ron.c

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not defending Bruce here.

But hey NE sailor, what do you bring to “the table”?

Where do you sail? What kind of gear? How many times last year? Etc.

Similar to knowing that my parents had sex at least 4 times, I can vouch for Bruce that he has sailed at least twice.

RC
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ron.c wrote:
Similar to knowing that my parents had sex at least 4 times, I can vouch for Bruce that he has sailed at least twice.

You and siblings could be adopted.... Shocked

But what does that say about Brucie's sailing? Maybe you were hallucinating... Sad
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dennis- I'm glad the advice worked out for ya (phew! *wipes sweat from brow* haha)

For the OP Andy......... I personally think the 46 is a bit big for an iSonic 133, but if you're a super heavyweight or just purely looking for the most low end grunt possible, it'll work. Otherwise, I'd probably point you towards the 42 or even the 39 if you're a lightweight. These are GRUNTY fins!

Shoot me a note if you're having trouble finding one Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: