myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
time for a new iwindsurf membership level: no forecast ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andydavis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: $10 more Reply with quote

I will pay $10 more not to have a forecast...make that $50. Like paying a street musician to go away.
feuser

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the forecast, although it could be much improved. The 7 AM update basically tells me how the models differ from the real world data. Something I could check just as effectively with one look at the meters, sure, but I like to have a human element to it.

If you offer full membership minus forecast, you might be able to price the forecast as a stand-alone product. What will happen is that those who want it will pay more overall, or it gets dropped altogether and the entire site loses a little.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 4cast- free choice Reply with quote

7winddoc wrote:
Computer-based 4casts are likely much worse than human 4casts. ...
accurate wind 4casts really don't exist except in rare places like the Gorge.

The "blue line" on iW's wind data plots is their most accurate Gorge forecast, in my experience. Just by adding 10 mph to it and ignoring the midafternoon instability/glitch in the curve, it beats the human forecasts here very often. But "accurate forecasts in the Gorge" is still a really bad joke, the primary reason I don't leave home until it's averaging 20 and expected by multiple sources to blow harder.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: