myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing in houston
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt007

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Windsurfing in houston Reply with quote

Does anyone know the major windsurfing spots close to Houston? Are there any windsurfing shops in Houston?

Thanks.
BradBain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing in houston Reply with quote

Texas City Dike and Spillway is about 20mile from Clearlake, but 40 miles from downtown Houston.

I am a member of the Seabrook Sailing club, we sail there most weekends. (470, Sunfish, Lasers, Sailboards, Optis for kids)
http://www.seabrook-sailing.org/default.htm
Come down as my guest sometime.

There are no shops in Houston and no one rents gear in the area. As least as far as I know.

Brad

gt007 wrote:
Does anyone know the major windsurfing spots close to Houston? Are there any windsurfing shops in Houston?

Thanks.
geohaye

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've not seen it yet, here's the iWindsurf dynamic wind map for Houston, including the famous Texas City Dike:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=116&regionProductID=1&Isection=Gmap+Obs&timeoffset=0
gt007

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geohaye and BradBain,

Thank you very much for the info.
mycaptainchris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Houston-ite here who is an avid windsurfer. Only recently moved here, not sure my wave kit has much use but I can still have plenty of fun if the wind blows.

Thanks for the info above, it was getting to the point I thought nobody windsurfed here!!!???
mycaptainchris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Houston-ite here who is an avid windsurfer. Only recently moved here, not sure my wave kit has much use but I can still have plenty of fun if the wind blows.

Thanks for the info above, it was getting to the point I thought nobody windsurfed here!!!???
mycaptainchris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever tried Surfside? It's the exact same distance from me as the levee and I suspect much more likely to see waves, especially if I go across to the Galveston side of the Bridge and sail the inlets, sand bank.
admor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Houston windsurfing community Reply with quote

Does anyone know of any active message boards
used by the windsurfing/kiteboarding community in Houston?
amarie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mycaptainchris wrote:
Have you ever tried Surfside? It's the exact same distance from me as the levee and I suspect much more likely to see waves, especially if I go across to the Galveston side of the Bridge and sail the inlets, sand bank.

I've been skunked at Surfside twice. But that spot DOES get waves. If it's anything like my local launch (about 4 hours south on the Texas coast) you might have good luck at the south side of the jetty in cold fronts from Nov-March. I'm not sure about access there on the south side - I've simply never tried.

I know the north side would be convenient for rigging because you can park right on the beach. I bet it would be decent in southerly conditions in 20+ mph. Usually the southerlies are not great for wave sailing until the water heats up to 70+.

All just my speculation from extrapolating my conditions around Corpus / Port Aransas where the shoreline has a lot of similarities.
rayfus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Houston windsurfing community Reply with quote

admor wrote:
Does anyone know of any active message boards
used by the windsurfing/kiteboarding community in Houston?

Galveston Bay Windsurfing facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/257368407688080/

I sailed the texas city levee this morning. Wind was 10-20. Our season kicks in around the time daylight savings starts. Check out El Jardin in Pasadena. It has more swell than the levee/dike and can be a lot of fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: