myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
October 13th Storm Sewage San Mateo County
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, be sure to check the dates on the water quality tests on the links above. They don't test every day, so a warning or green light for your spot may not reflect the current conditions.

The websites aren't that well laid out... scroll down to the bottom and pick the beach you want from the drop down menu for a full report.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
pirireis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the HMB contemenation sign should be taken seriously during storm sailing? Everytime I go I have this debate with myself whether to sail or not due to the sewage run off during the rain. Sometime I sail and sometimes I chicken out especially if I have a cut on my feet.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would presume that if you avoid major urban centers you minimize the effects.

I tend to sail North is storms, places like Bolinas. Small populations and would have pits that are collected and not causing run off, which I believe is half the problem.

I would think HMB and Ocean Beach are probably pretty bad as they are so close to urban centers, especially OB.
kirk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epenrose wrote:
I would presume that if you avoid major urban centers you minimize the effects.

Don't be too quick.

I'd think COWS can cause more problems than humans if there is range land in rural settings.

Also, one thing I used to hate about HMB and one of the reasons I give myself to not sail is I hated to rig in the dog crap that selfish dog owners don't remove from the rigging areas. Figure loads of dog walkers there... and it all washes into where you sail.

http://kirklindstrom.blogspot.com/
victor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

besides the occasional raw sewage discharges just the runoff from the streets in urban areas after an early storm is probably pretty bad. away from urban areas you have pig and dairy farms. even "pristine" tomales bay is said to have high levels of mercury from on old mine nearby.

we all know how poluted the delta is. the colombia river can't be much cleaner if not worse.

wtf? most of us sail it anyway.

i remember when a sewer line across a creek upstream from a nearby sailing site broke. the first day there were signs up warning to stay out. by the next day they had all been torn down and it was business as usual.
SWE106

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Some of you may know that I sit on the Regional Water Quality Control Board. Indeed, many of the sewer systems are old and dilapidated, run along streams where they get infiltrated through cracks in their pipes, or have cross connections to storm water systems. Water volumes go up and then sewage--mixed with a lot of fresh water--spills out. We do take this issue seriously, and monitor spills, and follow up with enforcement. I urge you all to let local governments near your sailing spot know that you care, and are watching. And, check the sites mentioned here to see if there are spills. I will continue to press for making elimination of spills, and enforcement if they happen, a priority.

Jim McGrath (Mac)

Awesome! Keep up the good work!!!
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I double that. Thanks for all the great posts too.I always read your stuff.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do we know that it is safe to windsurf? I’ve run this question down a bit, and have some suggestions. First, go to the State Water Resources Control Board site, here: http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/data_maps/index.shtml There are two buttons that will take you further, and will allow you to customize your own inquiries. First, the “My Water Quality Portal” will allow you to zoom in on the sites that you generally windsurf, or surf, and if you poke around a bit you can find out whether there are water quality problems at the site, and whether or not things are getting worse. Second, the button on sanitary sewer overflows allows you to look and see if there were any recent overflows, and the volume. So if it is a windy day, you can pick a site that hasn’t got either a history of overflows, or any recent events.
Yeah, I know this isn’t real time, but I think I can get it there. I spoke with the tech folks at the State Board yesterday, and told them that there are windsurfer, kiters, and surfers out there that will use this information in real time. The Board for the Bay area requires notice of any spill within two hours. The tech challenge is to get that notice to be linked so that it shows up as a crawler on the bottom of the iwindsurf page for the site. That will get us pretty close to real time. Check it out, use it, send feed back to the programmers at the State Board or to me, and I’ll see if I can get it improved.
Jim McGrath
San Francisco Regional Board Member/Windsurfer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: