myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Caravan to La Ventana Christmas 2009?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poltergeist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Caravan to La Ventana Christmas 2009? Reply with quote

Hello -

I'm a La Ventana and Southern Baja newbie planning a trip for this December. I have a full load and plan to travel alone, but I'm told its a good idea to have a witness or two along for the ride, esp for those remote checkpoints. You know, the ones where there is a 16yr old with an itchy trigger finger standing there with a M16 in hand? Anyway, I plan to leave mid-December and drive down from SF North Bay area. Return will be the end of December/early January.

Anyone out there want to caravan?

-Clyde
pshaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Baja traveling Reply with quote

I've made the trip about 5 times now and never had a problem, especially with the military checkpoints. On the other hand, it is a good idea to travel in pairs because of the bogus "cops" that, in the past, were pulling people over (they have unmarked cars with red and blue flashing lights) to rob them. I think this has been stopped.
madmax7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: trip Reply with quote

I may hook up with you for the return trip around Jan 11. Plan to drive down Jan 2 and 3.
Max
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: La Ventana Dec 2009 Reply with quote

My wife and I will make our 6 th year in a row trip to La Ventana mid-dec also. Never had any problems. We stay for 3 to 4 weeks. Maybe we could caravan - We travel hard (limited stops) to make border to LV in two days. This year, it might be a good idea to have another vehicle along.
madmax7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: La Ventana trip Reply with quote

Hey Boardhead,

Share your travel stops for the 2 day drive, I want to try and do the drive in 2 days. Mike G told me it was not wise... so please share, where will you be spending the night? and can you get there before it gets dark?

I am planning to cross border (will sleep in SD RV park Jan 1) and cross TJ early Jan 2 (saturday).

Also where can I wifi in La ventana?

thanks, Max

Also what are your gas stops ? I can do about 325m on a full tank (C class RV) so thats about 2 gas stops min for me.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Max:

Done this 5 years in a row.

Leave early at San Diego - sleep at walmart national park.
Vagabundos does our tourist cards and insurance. All we have to do is get a stamp on the card - takes 10 min. We cross the border at 1/2 hour before daylight. Wait till light at customs. We get through TJ before traffic starts.

Fuel at the last stop in San Quinton (avoid El Rosorio - waits + fraud). Spend night camp at Malerimmo's (SIC) in Guerroro Negro - Secure. Fuel up before camping for the night. Station in town - not on the highway.

Leave 1 hour pre-dawn GN Arrive LaVentana at happy hour. Fuel stops at Mulege and Cuidad.

I NEVER speed in towns. We DO NOT STOP except for fuel or to stretch briefly. Ford Van - big engine - big tank. Pass when need to. Never drive over 60 MPH - But stay on accelerator out of each corner.

Any problem - search at military check point, long wait for fuel etc. can mess with this schedule. Do not attempt with a trailer or RV. Take 3 days instead. Driving after dark sucks esp. with a wider vehicle.

wifi available in camp (last couple years) from store across the road. Or buy time at Baja Joes.

Safe travels - see you on the water.
ducati

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will snapper-boy be going?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: